Linebrink to the Mets?

harfman77

From Sherman in the NY Post

"What I hear is the Mets are trying to locate a pitcher (probably a reliever) who is overpriced and not having a particularly strong season, but who their scouts like and pluck him for little to no prospect in return."

Sounds like a match to me....

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)

"What I hear is the Mets are trying to locate a pitcher (probably a reliever) who is overpriced and not having a particularly strong season, but who their scouts like and pluck him for little to no prospect in return."

Why give our players away for nothing? Doesn't seem like we have to move anyone unless it benefits us as well as the otehr team

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
Why give our players away for nothing? Doesn't seem like we have to move anyone unless it benefits us as well as the otehr team

If you can clear Linebrink's salary for next season...you do so without hesitating.

That money is enough to pay for a good setup man.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)

Getting rid of Linebrink and his salary would be of great benefit to the Sox this year and next, regardless of what the return is(unless it requires taking on a bad contract). That could be the difference in being able to resign Putz next season.

Edited by shakes

Salary cap relief is a benefit to this team, it helps when forming the team next season and opens a spot on the 40 man roster which can be useful once the non-waiver deadline passes.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
Salary cap relief is a benefit to this team, it helps when forming the team next season and opens a spot on the 40 man roster which can be useful once the non-waiver deadline passes.

(Small note...baseball has no salary cap. And I believe the Sox already have an open 40 man spot...and they could come up with another one by moving Peavy to the 60 day DL.).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
(Small note...baseball has no salary cap. And I believe the Sox already have an open 40 man spot...and they could come up with another one by moving Peavy to the 60 day DL.).

Sorry, salary relief, the sport has no cap but the team definitely has a cap on the amount that it can spend. The concept if the same even though I mis-spoke or mis-typed I guess.

Would you trade Jenks today and hand over the reigns with two months left to go to Putz/Thornton/Santos?

Risky move...but it's perhaps even riskier to keep Jenks on this ballclub if he's not the official closer.

One of many decisions I wouldn't be particularly enjoying to make in KW's shoes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
Would you trade Jenks today and hand over the reigns with two months left to go to Putz/Thornton/Santos?

Risky move...but it's perhaps even riskier to keep Jenks on this ballclub if he's not the official closer.

One of many decisions I wouldn't be particularly enjoying to make in KW's shoes.

I would if it meant we could keep Hudson and acquire Dunn with the prospect you get from Jenks plus a combo of Flowers/Danks2/Morel/etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
Jenks would make more sense

Hopefully you would be able to get SOMETHING for Jenks though. I wouldn't just give him away. I think the guy would thrive in the NL. Get a couple prospects for Jenks from the Phillies, and use them to fortify a package for Fielder, Dunn, Edwin Jackson, etc.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
Hopefully you would be able to get SOMETHING for Jenks though. I wouldn't just give him away. I think the guy would thrive in the NL. Get a couple prospects for Jenks from the Phillies, and use them to fortify a package for Fielder, Dunn, Edwin Jackson, etc.

Jenks really has no value between his salary this year, the salary he'd get in arbitration next year if a team wanted to try and keep him, and the way he's pitching/his stuff looks these days. However, the Sox could just non tender him after the season, so ideally you could move Linebrink and save money that is otherwise a lock on the books for 2011. That'd never happen though, we're not that lucky.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
I would if it meant we could keep Hudson and acquire Dunn with the prospect you get from Jenks plus a combo of Flowers/Danks2/Morel/etc.

That would be great, if it's actually possible.

I really an fearful that trading Viciedo will come back to bite us. I'm not as worried about Flowers/Morel/Danks2 at all...although I have no idea who our catcher would be next year in that case, we'd better maximize our revenues or come up with another version of John Buck/Miguel Olivo on the FA market.

The problem is that AJ knows the staff so well, you wonder how much time it will take for a new catcher to gain the trust of the staff, and this is particularly important with Gavin Floyd and Daniel Hudson, IMO.

because we are paying him millions to not even pitch in an 11-0 game

QUOTE (shakes @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
Getting rid of Linebrink and his salary would be of great benefit to the Sox this year and next, regardless of what the return is(unless it requires taking on a bad contract). That could be the difference in being able to resign Putz next season.

And it could open up money to take on salary this year for the stretch run.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
And it could open up money to take on salary this year for the stretch run.

True, although I think our bigger issue right now than taking on salary is lack of prospect depth. Uncle Jerry will let KW make the move if it's helpful IMO, but do we have the prospects to pull a Dunn type move off? I guess we'll know soon.

Moving Liney to the Mets makes sense to me.

Even if we don't get anything back.

We'd likely call up Carlos Torres, and have him pitch long relief.

Then move Pena back to a 7th-inning type role.

We can't use Linebrink in the 7th inning now...

Not in close games anyway.

So, the net result would be an improvement, IMO.

Of course, if we could find someone who will offer us additional players for him too that would be great.

But I don't see that happening.

Edited by scenario

And AJ's making around $6.5 million this season...right? And I doubt they would try to cut his salary closer to $5 million...it could be one of those times where they ask AJ if he will take less in order to come back (where he'd obviously prefer to be), but he's not one of those guys making $10 million plus per year, not sure how he would take that. Probably not so well.

So that would also make bringing back Konerko nearly impossible. Things will be tight enough as is...

Unless those miracles happen with being able to trade Linebrink, Pierre and Teahen, not sure where they can go for payroll flexibility.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Moving Liney to the Mets makes sense to me.

Even if we don't get anything back.

We'd likely call up Carlos Torres, and have him pitch long relief.

Then move Pena back to a 7th-inning type role.

We can't use Linebrink in the 7th inning now...

Not in close games anyway.

So, the net result would be an improvement, IMO.

Of course, if we could find someone who will offer us additional players for him too that would be great.

But I don't see that happening.

He would be traded for nothing just to get rid of the salary relief or traded for a good prospect and cash kind of a bizarro KW deal. Linebrink plus $3M for a B level prospect.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
He would be traded for nothing just to get rid of the salary relief or traded for a good prospect and cash kind of a bizarro KW deal. Linebrink plus $3M for a B level prospect.

Not happening. We'd be lucky to get rid of Linebrink with giving the other team $3 mill, much less getting any value in return.

Linebrink and his contract is negative value right now, the cash throw in would make it acceptable for another team. I could see us throwing in the rest of the cash (except the minimum amount) for the remainder of the season, then the team getting him being on the hook for the rest. Still saves us a ton next year (which we could reinvest in the draft :pray )

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
And AJ's making around $6.5 million this season...right? And I doubt they would try to cut his salary closer to $5 million...it could be one of those times where they ask AJ if he will take less in order to come back (where he'd obviously prefer to be), but he's not one of those guys making $10 million plus per year, not sure how he would take that. Probably not so well.

Between his "reputation" around the league and the fact that he's been way, way, way down with the bats this year, I think AJ will wind up shocked at how little he'll get offered on the open market. Teams that actually need a catcher are just instinctively not going to want to deal with him.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)

I think you guys are overlooking the bolded part above. Unless the scouts name is Kelly Linebrink, who the hell in their right mind would like this guy??