Ted Lilly traded to Dodgers

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be so upset if we trade Flowers/Danks/or even Morel for 2 months of Lilly who is going to get abused in our park. A couple mid level prospects, fine, we chalk it up to a secondary move that had to be made in order to get Dunn. If we lose 2-3 of our top prospects in one fell swoop, for a couple rentals, we're going to be looking at Brandon Short, Christian Marrero, Nick Cioli as some of our top prospects.

Edited by pktmotion

It looks to me like Lilly is either tough as nails or gets lit up pretty good. In his last 10 starts, he's had 7 good starts and 3 terrible.

In his 7 good starts he had 49 IP, 7 ER, 1.28 era, 32 hits allowed, 46K, 9 BB. In his 3 terrible starts he had 15 2/3 IP, 20 ER, 11.49 ERA, 28 hits allowed, 11K, 5BB.

The good thing is he's pitched in the AL before and is a solid veteran lefty. Let's hope the price tag isn't too high. Flowers, or any top 10 prospect seems to be too much. Two guys from 10 and above ranking should be plenty seeing a Lilly is making 13 mill this year.

I would think a deal for Lilly only happens if another deal that sends Hudson somewhere else happens. Provided KW doesn't send away too much young talent, I'd be happy with Lilly and Dunn on the team. But then there's be two guys on the team with Lilly(i) in their names.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 06:55 AM)
I can't see the Cubs theoretically helping the Sox out.

Meh, I don't think they care that much about that stuff. They won't do it for free, but if the deal benefits the Cubs, they would do it.

That being said, he's a solid pitcher and seems like a good guy, but I forsee lots of trouble for him pitching in the Cell, so no thanks.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
Truthfuly this may sound crazy but I think Hendry would give the sox a decent rate for Lilly. Him an KW have said in the past they wouldnt overcharge one another if they were in a divisonal race.

I think Morel is going to be a good MLB player maybe a Micheal cuddyer like player and agree would hate to see him go to the north side and succeed. However I dont think the cubs would want morel they have Vitters in triple A. I would think flowers or Gatrell plus a few AA pitchers get it done.

That move with a Dunn deal, Hudson+one of the trio would kill at farm system but worse comes to worse, they both probably walk after the season and we get A and B compensation to rebuild.

Plus these two in my opinion would be cohesive with the chemistry of the team. Lilly is prob friend with a few sox players. Just hold on to the Tank and Beckham my only un touchables the rest of the farm is available. This team is good but needs to add!!

Baseball is a business. I sincerely doubt that Lilly goes to anyone but the highest bidder, If any G. M. is anything but cutthroat when it comes to making deals he should be fired immediately.

It's always suspicious to me when mainstream journalists are talking about a deal if some obscure person calls it a done deal. Not buying it yet. I am actually for the trade, though, pending on what's given up. Yeah, Lilly might struggle with the HR ball, but he doesn't walk people, has minimized hits and it still a very solid pitcher. He is better than Freddy and Hudson right now, too, this move would still improve out team. Maybe Nevin Griffin + Lucas Harrel could get the job done. One solid prospect, one close-to-ready prospect.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
It's always suspicious to me when mainstream journalists are talking about a deal if some obscure person calls it a done deal. Not buying it yet. I am actually for the trade, though, pending on what's given up. Yeah, Lilly might struggle with the HR ball, but he doesn't walk people, has minimized hits and it still a very solid pitcher. He is better than Freddy and Hudson right now, too, this move would still improve out team. Maybe Nevin Griffin + Lucas Harrel could get the job done. One solid prospect, one close-to-ready prospect.

With Lilly being such a hot commodity right now, you have to believe the Cubs have been offered significantly better packages than that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)
With Lilly being such a hot commodity right now, you have to believe the Cubs have been offered significantly better packages than that.

If this deal comes off it is because Lilly wants to stay with the Cubs and the Sox will agree to not offer arbitration so the cubs can sign him back for next season without losing prospects.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
If this deal comes off it is because Lilly wants to stay with the Cubs and the Sox will agree to not offer arbitration so the cubs can sign him back for next season without losing prospects.

That would make any deal for Lilly even stupider for the Sox. Would Lilly actually be a type A free agent?

only reason I would want Lily is if they use Hudson for a big bat, Lilly in the AL at this point would would be a serviceable 4th or 5th, I know 2 out of his 3 starts have been blah this year, but given the choice I would rather see what Hudson could do over Lilly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)

Lilly is still Lilly at the end of the day. He's not a player teams are going to get into a bidding war over, I imagine teams interested in him are offering very similar packages and it's up to the Cubs to scout the prospects and see which ones they like they best.

I could see him being more valuable to an NL team and one of them giving up a little more.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
I could see him being more valuable to an NL team and one of them giving up a little more.

A team with a big OF should give up more for him than a team like the Sox. He's a desperation level addition for the Sox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
A team with a big OF should give up more for him than a team like the Sox. He's a desperation level addition for the Sox.

agreed, would be surprised if its the only move they make, but wouldn't be surprised if it is in conjunction with a Hudson move.

Would make a ton of sense for the Dodgers IMO.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
agreed, would be surprised if its the only move they make, but wouldn't be surprised if it is in conjunction with a Hudson move.

I wouldn't be surprised either...I just would hate it.

Kenny has always liked him, and as we have seen before, Kenny seems to have a fixation with landing guys he likes eventually. That said, I too think this this only happens if we move Hudson.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
Kenny has always liked him, and as we have seen before, Kenny seems to have a fixation with landing guys he likes eventually. That said, I too think this this only happens if we move Hudson.

We might get him regardless if we land a big bat. This could be plan B if Hudson bombs tomorrow.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
We might get him regardless if we land a big bat. This could be plan B if Hudson bombs tomorrow.

It would be totally ridiculous to go out and acquire a pitcher like Lilly based on whatever Hudson does tomorrow.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)

You're right. I guess I'm hearing Hudson mentioned so often as trade bait, I'm figuring he's good as gone. If he doesn't end up going for a bat, maybe we could play the match up game with him and Lilly in the fifth spot, and try to start Lilly more often on the road?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
It would be totally ridiculous to go out and acquire a pitcher like Lilly based on whatever Hudson does tomorrow.

I don't disagree with you but it's feasible.

EDIT: And 3 out of 4 starts being terrible (if he were to bomb tomorrow) while burning our bullpen is a cause for concern. Especially when it was against sub-par opponents.

Edited by BigSqwert