Ted Lilly traded to Dodgers

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
It would be totally ridiculous to go out and acquire a pitcher like Lilly based on whatever Hudson does tomorrow.

I dunno. Getting lit up twice in one week by the light hitting A's would not bode well for a pennant drive.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
I dunno. Getting lit up twice in one week by the light hitting A's would not bode well for a pennant drive.

It might be a different case if we were up by 10 games but we're essentially tied for 1st with no chance at the wild card. And with Freddy being a question mark for the stretch drive and Mark having historically poor Augusts it might be too much to count on a rookie who hasn't shown much.

Lilly really doesnt bother me too much. He is similar to Buehrle, and that isnt necessarily a bad thing to me. When he is off, sure he gets lit up. When he is on he is very good. 7 out of his last 12 games he has allowed 0 or 1 runs, thats not too shabby

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:12 AM)
Lilly really doesnt bother me too much. He is similar to Buehrle, and that isnt necessarily a bad thing to me. When he is off, sure he gets lit up. When he is on he is very good. 7 out of his last 12 games he has allowed 0 or 1 runs, thats not too shabby

That's really a pretty weird way of looking at a guy's numbers...because in the other 5 starts, he allowed 3, 6, 9, 5, and 3 runs.

But in this case, it's probably particularly instructive...because it's telling you a lot about how Lilly pitches. As such a fly ball pitcher, he winds up heavily influenced by where he's pitching and who he's pitching against.

Those good outings you're talking about:

Home against the Dodgers

At Milwaukee

The near no-hitter against us (Wind blowing in)

@ Seattle

home against Pittsburgh

home against Houston

On the road at Houston

4 of those 6 starts were against the 3 worst offenses in baseball. ONly 1 was against a legitimately top level offense, the game against Milwaukee. If I'm reading the weather right, there was a strong wind blowing in from RF on the game at home against the Dodgers.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)

maybe similar styles, but MB is a better pitcher than Lilly is or ever was. Lilly is basically a poor mans MB and the stats support that. MB has about 50 more starts than Ted, so you have to use the advanced stats or adjust the standard stats a little, but MB has been a better pitcher, so using Lilly in the rotation means you risk having an MB type in his shaky starts more often than an MB in his good starts.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/buehrma01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lillyte01.shtml

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)

The A's recent play belie their stats. They have won 10 of 13 and have been scoring a bunch of runs in most of that run.

Hudson is running into a hot team,unfortunately. Lets hope tomorrow he has more command.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
That's really a pretty weird way of looking at a guy's numbers...because in the other 5 starts, he allowed 3, 6, 9, 5, and 3 runs.

But in this case, it's probably particularly instructive...because it's telling you a lot about how Lilly pitches. As such a fly ball pitcher, he winds up heavily influenced by where he's pitching and who he's pitching against.

Those good outings you're talking about:

Home against the Dodgers

At Milwaukee

The near no-hitter against us (Wind blowing in)

@ Seattle

home against Pittsburgh

home against Houston

On the road at Houston

4 of those 6 starts were against the 3 worst offenses in baseball. ONly 1 was against a legitimately top level offense, the game against Milwaukee. If I'm reading the weather right, there was a strong wind blowing in from RF on the game at home against the Dodgers.

You are really going to use the wind blowing in excuse? Ok, whatever, I watched the white sox game too, and he wasnt just letting the hitters hit it up into the wind and counting on his outfielders, he was thoroughly dominating the Sox with his inside cutter. And of the starts he lost, he gave up 3 runs in 2 of the 5 games, did he go long enough to get a quality start?

Im not saying Lilly is a great pitcher by any stretch, but I think he could be a fine #4 starter this year if it were to come to that.

Strange how everyone is so afraid of Lilly going to the Twins, yet wants no part of him on the Sox

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 01:30 AM)
51.4% FB% (highest in baseball) -----> 10.6% HR/FB (12% would be standard) -----> 1.46 HR/9 (11th highest in baseball, would only go up at the Cell)

Fun

This.

He's going to get his ass kicked.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
ESPN's Park Factor data on Home runs.

Biggest effect on HR this year:

#1: U.S. Cellular Field.

#30: Target Field.

He would still have to pitch at the Cell. Anyways, I stated my opinion. I dont think he is that bad of an option. The end

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
He would still have to pitch at the Cell. Anyways, I stated my opinion. I dont think he is that bad of an option. The end

He's not the worst you can do, but if you have to give something valuable up for him, I don't see the point.

He's worth a compensation pick, although I don't know if I'd offer him arbitration.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
He's worth a compensation pick, although I don't know if I'd offer him arbitration.

I would. Because he won't take it.

A left-handed starter on the open market in the offseason sets off a feeding frenzy.

Regardless of his fly-ball percentage, etc.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
You are really going to use the wind blowing in excuse? Ok, whatever, I watched the white sox game too, and he wasnt just letting the hitters hit it up into the wind and counting on his outfielders, he was thoroughly dominating the Sox with his inside cutter. And of the starts he lost, he gave up 3 runs in 2 of the 5 games, did he go long enough to get a quality start?

Im not saying Lilly is a great pitcher by any stretch, but I think he could be a fine #4 starter this year if it were to come to that.

Strange how everyone is so afraid of Lilly going to the Twins, yet wants no part of him on the Sox

I have to agree, Lilly will be a servicable 4th starter if the sox were to acquire him. In the cell or on the road I think he fives your team a chance to win everytime on the mound, and that's all you could ask for. I have heard multiple opposing team broadcast that talk about te competitior he is and I love that in a pitcher. However the only way I see this trade happening or being a success is if KW has another deal the includes hudson.

Also IMO if the twins get Lilly, they would get more out of him. Their ballpark I huge and will only play bigger when the temp. Drops in late aug and sept. That's why I would love to block them, if this was a precursor to another deal.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
I would. Because he won't take it.

A left-handed starter on the open market in the offseason sets off a feeding frenzy.

Regardless of his fly-ball percentage, etc.

True, but what if he accepts...?

He's going to get a $8 million deal like Pavano did.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
True, but what if he accepts...?

He's going to get a $8 million deal like Pavano did.

Well, he'd still probably be tradeable, just like Dunn, in that case, since it'd just be a 1 year deal with no long-term commitment. And frankly, if this team Trades Hudson, they'll be looking at needing a 5th starter next year, although once he starts pitching next year at the Cell, his ERA upwards of 5-6 isn't going to make him very moveable at the deadline.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
if we're going to add a middling starter i'd much prefer westbrook to lilly. he seems like a better fit to me.

reports on Westbrook he has some crazy incentives if he gets traded; something like he is owed 2 extra million this year. No too mention the twins and tigers see him to much. Personally I rather have Teddy.

I'd do this if Hudson was used to get a Fielder/Dunn as long as we don't overpay on Lilly because...

1) He'd be a fine 5th starter. He'd be worse in the Cell, but you can do worse as a fifth starter.

2) He's a Type A FA and he won't accept it on this market. With the way team has been drafting in the first round lately, those could be good picks.

3) If he accepts arbitration (I have no thought that he would) you could flip him to some team who would like having him for a full season.

4) Blocks him from the Twins