Ted Lilly traded to Dodgers

SOXOBAMA

Follow up from same source:

blacknbluecity @mrausch86 a cub broadcaster told one of our producers, hopefully it can still happen.

about 2 hours ago in reply to mrausch86

Heard from a cub broadcaster, very interesting. BUT

blacknbluecity @mrausch86 supposedly, the Dodgers came in with a last second bid. But, Lilly definitely wpould rather stay in Chicago with Sox. T

about 1 hour ago in reply to mrausch86

Looks like the dodgers may have jumped in and complicated matters. Don't know if LA is on his no trade list. But like Chet said prob rather stay in the CHI.

Very very interesting, granted the source us what it is. Atleast there was a follow up from him.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
I wouldn't believe it from a source like that.

Oh, I don't know, Coppock might be a doofas at times but he's pretty well connected around Chicago. I think the Cubs and Sox should always try to deal with each other in hopes of both teams getting better.

In this case, Lilly might be a good addition. The WS definitely need another starter...Hudson isn't ready for a prime time pennant race.

QUOTE (BearingPro @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Oh, I don't know, Coppock might be a doofas at times but he's pretty well connected around Chicago. I think the Cubs and Sox should always try to deal with each other in hopes of both teams getting better.

In this case, Lilly might be a good addition. The WS definitely need another starter...Hudson isn't ready for a prime time pennant race.

Hudson is more than ready for a rotation spot, considering all he has to do is keep the game within reach. If he has an ERA of 6 from here on out...meaning like 6 IP, 4 ER in every single start...he's done his job well enough. If he can take something out of it and grow as a pitcher, even better. He has the stuff to make it as a starting pitcher and he needs a bit of experience. Getting him into the game now isn't the worst thing in the world and will make him a better pitcher in the years to come.

I think the only reason the Sox are going to be looking for a starting pitcher is if they find a deal in which they are willing to give up Hudson. I tend to doubt that they will acquire a starting pitcher just for the hell of it. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Sox do have a deal agreed upon for Lilly from the Cubs, but the reason it hasn't been finalized is simply because the Sox have absolutely no use for Lilly at this moment.

The team is going to need pitching next year, I am not sure on the timeline on Peavy's recovery but I would think it will be a while before he can start throwing again and it is conceivable he may miss the first part of the season getting back in shape and rehabbing. So getting Lilly now and taking a chance on offering arb offers vrey low risk, if he accepts you have a fairly servicable 4, if he declines you get to take that money and roll into into drafting quality players in the draft and do with some combination of Hudson, Sale, maybe Garcia or whoever KW can pull off on the cheap.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
The team is going to need pitching next year, I am not sure on the timeline on Peavy's recovery but I would think it will be a while before he can start throwing again and it is conceivable he may miss the first part of the season getting back in shape and rehabbing. So getting Lilly now and taking a chance on offering arb offers vrey low risk, if he accepts you have a fairly servicable 4, if he declines you get to take that money and roll into into drafting quality players in the draft and do with some combination of Hudson, Sale, maybe Garcia or whoever KW can pull off on the cheap.

Peavy ought to be back to throwing condition before the start of the new (calendar) year.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
the operative words

Now GMAFB, you don't make trades middle of this season based on the assumption that your pitcher will recover on a schedule that is 4-6 months slower than the expected recovery schedule for his injury.

Hell, if you really think that there's any chance you won't have Peavy to start the season, the LAST thing you'd ever do is trade Hudson, because that'd put you as needing 2 new pitchers to start the season instead of 1.

This injury is unprecedented in baseball so I'll take their expected timetable with a grain of salt.

EDIT: And I wasn't the one making the case to trade for Lilly with that particular rationale.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
This injury is unprecedented in baseball so I'll take their expected timetable with a grain of salt.

EDIT: And I wasn;t the one making the case to trade for Lilly for that particular rationale.

Unprecedented in baseball but not for tendon reattachment surgeries. As I've said before he should be ready by spring training. If not something catastophic will have happened. It's always a possibility but highly doubtful.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
Ted Lilly would be a horrible acquisition.

Ted Lilly (in terms of stuff) is pretty much what Gavin Floyd will be in another ten years. He's a curveball dominant pitcher who finishes low in the zone. It wouldn't be an awful move depending on the price.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Ted Lilly is pretty much what Gavin Floyd will be in another ten years. He's a curveball dominant pitcher who finishes low in the zone. It wouldn't be an awful move depending on the price.

Groundballs/Flyballs:

Gavin Floyd: 1.05

Ted Lilly: 0.41

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
I need to clarify that i meant stuff wise. Obviously, those numbers are pretty telling.

They give up HR's on about the same %age of their fly balls...so Lilly would be expected to give up 2.5 times the number of HR per season that Floyd gives up if you could drop all of the ballpark factors. That'd average out to 40-50 HR, pitching in the AL in the Cell.

Lilly could lead the league in HR given up by a long shot just with his current numbers if you stuck him in the Cell.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
I don't see how the cell is that different from wrigley in terms of HR given up or any park in the NL Central for that matter. You adapt to your home park. I think Lilly will be fine.

It's not some myth that it's easy to hit HRs at US Cellular.

I don't understand how this is a difficult concept to grasp.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
I don't see how the cell is that different from wrigley in terms of HR given up or any park in the NL Central for that matter. You adapt to your home park. I think Lilly will be fine.

I don't mean to be sarcastic or an a-hole, but I'm not sure what you don't understand... it's easier to hit HRs in the Cell than basically every other stadium in MLB.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
I would argue that Lilly would still outpitch Garcia and Hudson for the next 2 months+.

We do have a lot of road games at Detroit and Minnesota in the coming weeks. Two very pitcher friendly parks.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)
I get that the AL is a better hitting league but right now the net difference in run production is only +14 for the AL teams vs. NL teams.

Once you get past maybe the top 10 guys, how many pitchers can realistically shut down the Yankees or Red Sox?

Lots of pitchers can...on a given day.

Anyway...it's not just about run production...it's about ballpark factor with Lilly and him being uniquely ill-suited for our ballpark. (or Yankee stadium for that matter).