Angels Open to Trades

Chisoxfn

The Angels had a team meeting yesterday with GM Reagins, Scioscia and coaches and it is believed that the tone of the meeting was around the upcoming trade deadline and the future of the organization. While the Angels aren't waving the white flag, it appears that there focus has turned towards getting ready for the 2011 season and that means players who won't be around after this season will be available for pieces that can help the Angels going forward.

That list includes Brian Fuentes, Hideki Matsui, and Bobby Abreu.

While the Sox would have no interest in Fuentes, we have had interest in the past in Matsui and Abreu. Abreu would probably be a better fit given that Ozzie doesn't want a full time DH and while Abreu isn't a good defensive outfielder, neither is Quentin and the offensive upgrade would be pretty significant over our current DH situation.

Neither Abreu or Matsui are exactly having great years, but Matsui has 15 HR's and Abreu has a respectable ~.350 OBP. Abreu is putting up pretty solid numbers against RHP, which would work perfect, given the fact that we could utilize Viciedo against tougher left handed pitchers.

The beauty of both of these guys are they are seasoned vets who wouldn't rock the boat in the Sox clubhouse. They both have post-season experience and neither would cost the White Sox significant prospects, thus enabling them to keep Hudson in the rotation.

Personally I got a feeling this might be the route the Sox go.

Abreu's expensive next year. He's getting old really fast, the bat's been mediocre this year and bad for his standards.

His defense is bad, although not Carlos Quentin bad. Quite frankly, Abreu would end up hitting second in this lineup. He doesn't have enough power to hit 5th.

You'd be in a very similar situation if you go with Matsui.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Abreu's expensive next year. He's getting old really fast, the bat's been mediocre this year and bad for his standards.

His defense is bad, although not Carlos Quentin bad. Quite frankly, Abreu would end up hitting second in this lineup. He doesn't have enough power to hit 5th.

I actually didn't realize Abreu was under contract next season as well. And in no way shape or form would I be a fan of having Abreu for anymore than this year. But I do think him/Matsui would be pretty solid fits for our squad this year. I think they make us better, without making us worse long-term (since we don't have to give up a ton of prospects) and essentially can keep Huddy in our rotation (which I actually think is a good thing).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
I actually didn't realize Abreu was under contract next season as well. And in no way shape or form would I be a fan of having Abreu for anymore than this year. But I do think him/Matsui would be pretty solid fits for our squad this year. I think they make us better, without making us worse long-term (since we don't have to give up a ton of prospects) and essentially can keep Huddy in our rotation (which I actually think is a good thing).

Abreu would come cheap since he does have the contract obligation. I think he makes around $10 million next year.

I wouldn't mind if we got Abreu, he does make this team better. Hell, anyone makes this team better because of Kotsay.

And I didn't realize that the Angels are now in third place and at .500...

Talk about a big swing since the Haren deal.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)

You'd be in a very similar situation if you go with Matsui.

Bobbie Abreu stats for 2010 Los Angeles Angels 101 380 56 96 24 1 12 56 158 56 82 16 8 .347 .416 .253

I don't think his numbers are bad at all. DH and fill in the OF. I don't remember if he has played some 1B or not though.I would not be giving up major prospects for him though, but on the other hand wouldn't mind having him on the team to fill the LH bat need, if one exists

Edited by elrockinMT

Truthfuly I would love either matsui or abreu. I think abreu fits ozzies scheme he still steals bags, takes a lot of pitches, and reaches base often (no so much this year). Last year they were saying abreu turned the philosophy around for angels hittin last year. When he came over the team became more patient at the plate.

Matsui is a little less a option since he is just a DH at this point. However after the show he put on in the playoffs last year, I would have no prov with his bat. I also think he would benefit moving from angels stadium to the cell.

Count me in on either of these guys, plus we know KW liked both of them the last few years.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
Bobbie Abreu stats for 2010 Los Angeles Angels 101 380 56 96 24 1 12 56 158 56 82 16 8 .347 .416 .253

I don't think his numbers are bad at all. DH and fill in the OF. I don't remember if he has played some 1B or not though.I would not be giving up major prospects for him though, but on the other hand wouldn't mind having him on the team to fill the LH bat need, if one exists

It's a .338 wOBA, which is pretty mediocre, especially for him. He posted a .367 wOBA last year.

They're not bad numbers, but they're not anything desirable, especially given his contract next year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
Abreu would come cheap since he does have the contract obligation. I think he makes around $10 million next year.

I wouldn't mind if we got Abreu, he does make this team better. Hell, anyone makes this team better because of Kotsay.

I agree, this would be good move.

Contract details

2 years/$19M (2010-11), plus 2012 option

signed extension with LA Angels 11/5/09

10:$9M, 11:$9M, 12:$9M option ($1M buyout)

option guaranteed with 550 PAs in 2011 or 1,100 PA in 2010-

You'd be handcuffed to him for 2 years and $18 million possibly. At the least, you'll have him for $10 million next year. Not sure I'd be a fan of that.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)

Piniero is out for the next 8 weeks too. Basically put, they really have almost no shot at the division right now so they are basically in a next year mode. I think if the Angels were willing to kick in 5M, Abreu wouldn't look that bad, even if we needed him next year. He tends to be a good OBP guy and while he's slowed down a lot, he still can do some nice things for our team (smart base-runner, draws walks, can handle the bat).

The big thing I consider is that I think I'd rather have Abreu or Matsui and still have Hudson than a lot of our other options.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
Is Matsui under team control next year? I can't remember and am too lazy to look it up.

I believe he's a FA at the end of the year. Matsui is a solid fit too, albeit he is having his worse season of his career, but he's got 15HR's. However, we can't even pretend that Matsui could play in the OF. I don't like the idea of Abreu out there, but he really isn't much worse than Quentin so I can live with that. Matsui, well that is just ugly out in the OF.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
Piniero is out for the next 8 weeks too. Basically put, they really have almost no shot at the division right now so they are basically in a next year mode. I think if the Angels were willing to kick in 5M, Abreu wouldn't look that bad, even if we needed him next year. He tends to be a good OBP guy and while he's slowed down a lot, he still can do some nice things for our team (smart base-runner, draws walks, can handle the bat).

The big thing I consider is that I think I'd rather have Abreu or Matsui and still have Hudson than a lot of our other options.

I don't think Luke Scott would cost a Hudson either. But he might come more expensive than these two.

The thing I like about Abreu is that even though he's a bad fielder (-10 UZR/150), he's nowhere near as bad as Quentin (-30 UZR/150). With Abreu's reputation as a good defender to people like Ozzie, you know he will stick him out there in right. And that alone will make the Abreu deal that much more interesting to me. You're talking about losing 4 runs from here on out on defense instead of losing 13 runs. That's a whole win share.

I really want no part of Matsui.

Raul Ibanez is another guy whose struggling that might become available and could probably benefit from being able to DH a decent chunk. He's having a down year for the Phillies and if the Phillies get Oswalt they might need to free up a few million.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
Raul Ibanez is another guy whose struggling that might become available and could probably benefit from being able to DH a decent chunk. He's having a down year for the Phillies and if the Phillies get Oswalt they might need to free up a few million.

Ibanez has turned it around somewhat in the last month. Victorino was just put on the DL, who will play LF everyday? Ben Francisco or Ross Gload? Plus, the Phillies are in win now mode and have been bringing in lots of revenue the past few years, I doubt they are worried about freeing up money right now.

Ibanez is still owed $10 million next year, I sure as f*** don't wanna be paying him that either.

I would be on board for acquiring Abreu if the Sox were able to get the Angels to pick up a bit of that contract next season in some form. Hell, it might be a possibility that Linebrink would accept a trade there, and that would reduce costs while also allowing Los Angeles to try and round him into shape while getting a decent year out of him. That would allow the Sox to call up Torres to fill the swingman role, and use Tony Pena as more of a prototypical middle reliever. The Sox can do what they want with Threets, and call up Sale, and the bullpen suddenly looks really, really strong again.

I'd pretty much give up anyone in the system for Abreu other than the Viciedo, Hudson, Flowers, and Mitchell, which still doesn't leave a whole lot but I think there's enough in the system to be able to acquire a guy like that.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Didn't look at the number but Abreu just might be Carlos Quentin BAD defensively, he's like Dye out there.

Not even close. I said it before, having Abreu out there instead of Quentin should result in a 1 win share difference.

Quentin's badness in RF is indescribable.