Phillies to get Oswalt for 3 players

smalls2598

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
I think it's clear that the Astros' acquisition of a young, near major league ready 1B means they're prepared to trade Berkman to the White Sox.

Yep, first thing that I thought when I heard about the acquisition. The Astros look like they are finally committed to go into a full rebuilding mode, and now that they finally moved Oswalt, Berkman is likely next, and they have Wallace now and there is no point in keeping him in the minors at this point.

How much longer do they have to be crippled by that horrible contract they gave Lee?

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
So, who else is on your formerly secret mancrush team?

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
Don't know if there are a lot of others. Oswalt and Halladay have the same first names, obviously, and are by coincidence my favorite righthanded pitchers and have been for years. I always thought Oswalt would be with Houston for most of his career but figured Halladay would leave Toronto at some point, and I always thought it'd be cool if they pitched together.

You know you'd want Chipper Jones.

And Gavin Floyd too :wub:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
Yeah, but tossing in $11 million to do it...uck.

Definitely wasn't a smart move, but they might have just picked up a potential impact bat along with a good middle of the rotation starter that are under control for at least 4 more years.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
The third prospect is such a non-prospect that his name is mispelled half the time, including the BP prospect handbook.

Villar? Yeah, those 19 year old switch hitting, plus to plus-plus defensive shortstops are a b****. Good thing the Sox don't have any in their system.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
Yeah, but tossing in $11 million to do it...uck.

I don't necessarily like the return they received, but in theory I love what they did by throwing money in with Oswalt in order to receive a higher return. Just look at how that has worked for the Indians with the Santana/Blake swap (side note: how amazing is Carlos Santana). In situations like this you have to trust your scouting department, and if they're telling you to do whatever is necessary in order to get Happ/Villar/Gose, then you do it.

For the record I don't like the return, and I particularly don't like Happ, but that's what you get from second rate organizations.