Mariners (Pauley 0-2, 2.18) @ White Sox (Garcia 9-4, 4.74)

Scott Merkin notes via Twitter that Carlos Torres was removed after 5 shutout innings tonight and only 75 pitches. Either they have a hard pitch count on him, or he may be included in a trade. OR they wanted to pull him after having a really nice outing so they don't jeopardize him having a rough 6th inning and hurting his value over the next 40 hours or so.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't pull him for a value standpoint. If he was pulled, it is either an injury or the possibility of a trade. I think if I were a team out of contention I wouldn't mind getting a Carlos Torres who might actually turn into a relatively solid innings eater at the back of your rotation or a long reliever.

I think the 17-1 streak at home is even more impressive than 26-5 and 32-11.

Didn't the Braves have a similar streak at home earlier this year?

Don't know why, but I have the feeling that when Kotsay is replaced, it will be like leaving Mark Johnson off the 2000 playoff roster for Josh Paul. It will become the excuse for the negative change in the clubhouse chemistry.

Mark Kotsay OPS=651, Gordon Beckham OPS=650. Funny.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
Does Kenny even follow the games? Doesn't he make roster decisions? Why is Kotsay still on this team when Lillibridge and Viciedo are exponentially better?

I think Kotsay is just one of the concessions that Kenny makes to Ozzie to keep him happy.

I have thought about it and I'd endorse a trade with Viciedo and Flowers for Adam Dunn. I question where Viciedo will play defensively and despite our current struggles at the DH position don't see a ton of difficulty in finding a decent DH. Hence, I don't feel as though we should put a significant premium on Viciedo, even though he might turn into an absolute beat offensively.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:08 AM)
I have thought about it and I'd endorse a trade with Viciedo and Flowers for Adam Dunn. I question where Viciedo will play defensively and despite our current struggles at the DH position don't see a ton of difficulty in finding a decent DH. Hence, I don't feel as though we should put a significant premium on Viciedo, even though he might turn into an absolute beat offensively.

But you're trading for a guy who will play here 2 months and then leave. As I've talked about before, if the Sox aren't willing to break the bank for draft picks, then supplemental picks are likely to be easy college signs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
But you're trading for a guy who will play here 2 months and then leave. As I've talked about before, if the Sox aren't willing to break the bank for draft picks, then supplemental picks are likely to be easy college signs.

I'd still take the two picks and see what Laumann can do with them, but yeah, i'm not at all inclined to trade both Flowers and Viciedo.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)

I'm ok with that. I'll take the picks. I only say this because i think both Viciedo and Flowers have some major flaws. FLowers has a long swing, despite massive power, where as VIciedo has massive offensive skills, but does lack good discipline which could limit his offensive effectiveness.

Basically put, neither fit to me in the elite prospect group so I'd take a Dunn and the picks and move on. I highly doubt we will end up with that. I just don't like the idea of moving Hudson, especially with the dearth of pitching prospects we have in our system.

But since we've already invested $6-7 million into Viciedo, I think KW will be less likely to part with him...largely because he has to prove to the rest of the MLB GM's how much smarter he is than them.

It's not like trading Gio or Clayton Richard, he's the biggest investment our club has ever made in a player, bigger than Joe Borchard even.

Trading The Tank would be like acknowledging a mistake was made, which is why I doubt it happens.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:12 AM)
I'm ok with that. I'll take the picks. I only say this because i think both Viciedo and Flowers have some major flaws. FLowers has a long speed, despite massive power, where as VIciedo has massive offensive skills, but does lack good discipline which could limit his offensive effectiveness.

Basically put, neither fit to me in the elite prospect group so I'd take a Dunn and the picks and move on. I highly doubt we will end up with that. I just don't like the idea of moving Hudson, especially with the dearth of pitching prospects we have in our system.

I agree, I'd much rather keep Hudson than Viciedo/Flowers