Twins get Matt Capps

BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
Did the Twins really trade their best prospect for Matt Capps, stright up? Man, the value of relievers is just ridiculously high.

Imagine what we could get for Putz, Thornton, and especially Sergio!

A king's ransom.

This also ruins any Flowers deal for Dunn.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Not sure I'd call Wilson Ramos their best prospect, 3rd or 4th best perhaps, plus he doesn't have a position with Mauer locked up at C and I don't think his bat will play that well at 1B/DH.

Yeah, he's definitely not their best anymore. Last year maybe. Hicks and Gibson are definitely ahead of him.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Not sure I'd call Wilson Ramos their best prospect, 3rd or 4th best perhaps, plus he doesn't have a position with Mauer locked up at C and I don't think his bat will play that well at 1B/DH.

He didn't have a position with the Twins, but isn't he viewed as a catcher by most teams?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:27 AM)
He didn't have a position with the Twins, but isn't he viewed as a catcher by most teams?

Yeah but from the Twins perspective dealing him makes a lot of sense because he's not going to be playing C for them, and I don't think his bat will play that well elsewhere (on the field), hence not having a position.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
I like it. Matt Capps is solid, but I'm definitely not scared of him. Twins give up a top catching prospect that they will need when Mauer becomes a 1B/DH. It doesnt affect 2010 that much and really hurts the Twins in the future. Two thumbs up.

If anything, Mauer will play 3B or the OF. He's too athletic for 1B. Plus, Morneau's there until 2014.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
If anything, Mauer will play 3B or the OF. He's too athletic for 1B. Plus, Morneau's there until 2014.

That could be very true, but either way, I can see Mauer leaving the catcher position soon, and the Twins just traded their best replacement for a B+ reliever who might get a high arbitration number next year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:22 AM)
Yeah, he's definitely not their best anymore. Last year maybe. Hicks and Gibson are definitely ahead of him.

The Miguel Sano reports from the GCL have have been off the charts plus Ben Revere's having a good year (for the type of player he is) and Oswaldo Arcia is having a great year. You could argue for any of those guys ahead of Ramos, though I'd probably have him 4th behind Gibson/Hicks/Sano (in that order).

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Yeah but from the Twins perspective dealing him makes a lot of sense because he's not going to be playing C for them, and I don't think his bat will play that well elsewhere (on the field), hence not having a position.

I completely understand that, but that doesn't mean you trade him for the sake of trading him. He still has a ton of value at C, and probably could have been better used in a bigger trade.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:42 AM)
That could be very true, but either way, I can see Mauer leaving the catcher position soon, and the Twins just traded their best replacement for a B+ reliever who might get a high arbitration number next year.

Really? He's 27 and a physical beast. Unless he starts to get really banged up I don't see any reason to expect him to move from behind the plate within the next 5 or 6 years.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
Really? He's 27 and a physical beast. Unless he starts to get really banged up I don't see any reason to expect him to move from behind the plate within the next 5 or 6 years.

The guy is such a good hitter, I always thought he should be moved to save the bat, but now without Ramos I guess I am wrong. He has only missed 2 months in the past 4 years. We will see.

Either way, Jon Heyman says that Matt Capps will be the closer, Rauch will pitch the 8th

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/367437-...-bad-in-the-end

not saying he's Glass Joe, but he's been on the DL 6 times in his career (this article says 5 and I believe he was on once this year)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
This is a massive overpay by the Twins. You don't give up this kind of package for relief pitching.

I agree, especially for Matt f***ing Capps.

Their 7-8-9 RH relievers went from Crain-Guerrier-Rauch to Guerrier-Rauch-Capps. Is that worth your 4th best prospect and only backup behind Mauer???

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Good move for the Twins, their pen has struggled. Still dodged major bullets that they didn't get Lee or Oswalt, I still think they need another starting arm, I know they've been OK lately but that was against the Os and KC.

When you say "struggled", do you mean they have the second best bullpen ERA in baseball and 8th best FIP?