AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

this thread made my head hurt.

i made a comment about castro's resigning being a bad move a couple months ago. man am i an idiot. hes been amazing when he plays

great to see q hit one

paulie and beckham staying hot.

putz i guess is allowed one bad game, picked a good time to have it.

freddy was average which is all we can ask for, cant say i saw him getting 10 wins this season.

and the twins didnt win!

:gosoxretro:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:32 AM)
If the Sox don't add a bat, I'd like to see Castro ATLEAST be the DH more, if not get more starts at C.

eh you really don't wanna DH your backup C if you don't have to

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
There are things about baseball that include chemistry.

This team has it. It would be insane to "demote" him. Just insane to team chemistry/unity.

Your like the 4th or 5th poster in the last 6 years that has said something about this. And I tell everyone of them to read my Don Cooper quote on top of my sig... something he said 6 years ago that I've left on out of all the quotes I've had in the past. Usually that does the trick, but your alittle more stubborn than the other posters in the past. Even Ozzie himself said something eerily similar to that quote just two or three days ago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)
And we are winning with AJP; exactly my point.

We won with Castro as well, so no it isn't. The sox are winning because of their pitching. Not because of an individual. It doesn't matter what fingers AJ or Castro puts down. If they are not executing (or missing with) those pitches, the sox don't win.

JReed, do you really want AJP to lose his starting job to Castro???

Are we really having this discussion after a 2 homer game versus the M's?

You could hit a homer vs. the Ms.

Castro is doing very very well in his backup role. AJ is AJ. He is part of the heart and soul of this team.

Not saying it's you -- I haven't examined your posts that closely to memorize your position -- but it seems to me a lot of people want to change a lot of things or nitpick about a lot of things (lineups on a daily basis) for a team that has won 11 straight home games and has been overall amazing for quite a stretch now.

I really don't get it.

I do know one thing. This place is going to get all-time crazy if the Sox start losing a batch of games again. Wow.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:59 AM)
JReed, do you really want AJP to lose his starting job to Castro???

Are we really having this discussion after a 2 homer game versus the M's?

You could hit a homer vs. the Ms.

Castro is doing very very well in his backup role. AJ is AJ. He is part of the heart and soul of this team. You don't believe that or do you?

Now your putting words I've never said into your mouth. You discussed chemistry, I called you out on that and you mentioned A.J. (for whatever reason) which I said we won with Castro as well. My point is don't act like A.J. (who has been terrible offensively this season) is the reason why the sox are doing well. Castro nor anyone else individually is the reason either. The sox are winning because our pitching as a whole has been fantastic and we are playing great defensively. (especially Alexei)

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:07 AM)
Now your putting words I've never said into your mouth. You discussed chemistry, I called you out on that and you mentioned A.J. (for whatever reason) which I said we won with Castro as well. My point is don't act like A.J. (who has been terrible offensively this season) is the reason why the sox are doing well. Castro nor anyone else individually is the reason either. The sox are winning because our pitching as a whole has been fantastic and we are playing great defensively. (especially Alexei)

Why get so upset? I am confusing you with the other guy who was mad about AJP.

I think AJ is a reason we're doing well. He calls a good game. He's a competitor and part of this mojo that's going on. What is with all the anger on this site lately? Can't we just discuss things? Maybe it's as hot and muggy in Chicago as it has been in Kansas. I apparently mistook you for the other poster who flat out said Castro should be playing until further notice. It's late at night and I have not got the two of you straight. I am sorry for that. Didn't mean it. I just feel that his point is way off base regarding Castro/AJP. I stand by my chemistry comment in reference to the quote you showed me. I think AJ has helped us win, thus has helped our chemistry.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:23 AM)
Greg why when you quote some do you not use the reply button? I've honestly been wondering this for a very long time now haha.

I dunno. Did I do it right this time? I have a hard time with message board functions sometimes.

Here's the Castro/AJ issue worth pointing out, and I'm surprised no one has noted it yet.

In most previous years with AJ and a RH backup catcher, Ozzie has treated it like a near platoon. Unless we face about 3 lefty starters in a row, AJ would sit against LH starting pitching.

This year for some reason, Castro's been named Garcia's private catcher (thus ending any chance for Buehrle to throw another perfect game), and AJ has caught for everyone else. Now, we're no longer playing matchups, we're just going based on who's starting for the Sox.

Now, it's possible that everyone else just hates throwing to Castro, which we haven't heard so far. But, without that, AJ has a .548 OPS against lefties and a .654 OPS against righties. Granted his numbers against righties still suck, but his numbers against lefties uber-suck, while Castro for his career, and especially this season, has feasted on lefties (.803 career OPS against lefties).

Yeah, sometimes I get tired of Ozzie playing matchups all the time, but here, he's got a roster constructed to give him an advantage by using matchups, and he's not using it.

Can't we all agree that Castro should be seeing more playing time?

Is he not part of the chemistry with the b****in beard and all?

Also the surge as I like ot call it, began about the time of his arrival no?

Ramon sorry for thinking Donny Lucy was better than you.

Carry on,

Jenks Heat

I liked how with both homers Castro paused to admire the towering power blasts they were. Even if you had the sound turned down (because you knew from the sound they were long gone), you could watch his body language and know he cranked them.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
I liked how with both homers Castro paused to admire the towering power blasts they were. Even if you had the sound turned down (because you knew from the sound they were long gone), you could watch his body language and know he cranked them.

Yea,Ramon knows when he squares it up...it gawn!!

Solid win...Soxpark is so Sox friendly right now....our righty bombers just mash in the summer. Happy to see Carlos get it going...need him to heat back up.

Ozzie said that Ramon is making it tough on him with his prolific bat....indicated that Ramon would start at least one game vs an A's lefty. I would not mind having him play tonite and Sunday vs Anderson and Gio....and then Tuesday take his turn when freddy takes the mound vs the tigers in that doubleheader. Probably will just start Sunday(day game after a nite game) and then on Tuesday. Ride the hot hand,Ozzie...freeeeee RAMON!!!! Not suggesting AJ gets demoted,just that Ramon plays vs a few more lefties in the heat of August and early sept or until his bat cools. Last 13 games: .400 average with 5 homers and 11 rbis...mashing!

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)

he looked so comfortable against that left hander. It looked like he was in the home run derby those two at bats. Just f'n killed them.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
Kotsay is the biggest rally killer ever.

You'd think 4 straight months of being atrocious at the plate is a good enough sample size for Ozzie to seriously diminish his workload...but I guess not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:51 AM)
Here's the Castro/AJ issue worth pointing out, and I'm surprised no one has noted it yet.

In most previous years with AJ and a RH backup catcher, Ozzie has treated it like a near platoon. Unless we face about 3 lefty starters in a row, AJ would sit against LH starting pitching.

This year for some reason, Castro's been named Garcia's private catcher (thus ending any chance for Buehrle to throw another perfect game), and AJ has caught for everyone else. Now, we're no longer playing matchups, we're just going based on who's starting for the Sox.

Now, it's possible that everyone else just hates throwing to Castro, which we haven't heard so far. But, without that, AJ has a .548 OPS against lefties and a .654 OPS against righties. Granted his numbers against righties still suck, but his numbers against lefties uber-suck, while Castro for his career, and especially this season, has feasted on lefties (.803 career OPS against lefties).

Yeah, sometimes I get tired of Ozzie playing matchups all the time, but here, he's got a roster constructed to give him an advantage by using matchups, and he's not using it.

And AJ happens to be having his worst ever season against left handed pitching (.188/.243/.304/.548, .248 wOBA) which is hardly surprising given this is the worst offensive season of his career.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
You'd think 4 straight months of being atrocious at the plate is a good enough sample size for Ozzie to seriously diminish his workload...but I guess not.

I was surprised to find out that Kotsay's only DH'd 37 games.

His degree of suck has made me think he's been there 97 games.