White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
How about Westbrook and Choo in a mega deal?

IMO not enough time to figure out what's going on with his military deal. I know he can just not go back to S. Korea ever if they don't win the Asian tournament, but that is something I'm not willing to bet on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
That might be the first thing written in this thread that makes enough sense to me to part with Hudson. Still leaves us screwed next year though.

People are forgetting that Chris Sale is around and easily could be in majors for opening day, 2011.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
But didn't or hasn't he said the same thing about Gavin Floyd before the 2008 season on a number of occasions, Law that is?

If Cooper really thinks they can fix someone and do it quite quickly, then I wouldn't be surprised if they went after Jackson hard...although they had a much better chance to get him if they wanted before the 2009 season IMO.

Back then, it only cost the Tigers Matt Joyce.

I think if we got Edwin, we'd get him knowing he's been better than his numbers indicate this year and doing it in a supreme hitters haven (much like the cell) and with the intent that we could spin him in the off-season for other parts or with an off-season with coop get him to live up to his potential.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
LMAO!

@SI_JonHeyman - still seems to be optimism for #chisox, #dbacks deal. 3-way possibilities alive. chicago does like dunn, nats love jackson

@pgammo (Peter Gammons) - Nats not that hot for Edwin jackson

When given the choice of Heyman and Gammons, who would you choose?

I'm still mad at Heyman for his VORPies article, which firejoemorgan.com totally ripped in half. That was nice to see.

Well, they'd really have to hope that Quentin would respond well to being the DH unless they planned to play Carlos at 1B?

I'd love to have Choo, but they would have to settle the military service issue, and Westbrook's got a big contract...I would be leery about giving them our entire farm system, although Choo's arguably a better (and much cheaper) player than Ichiro right now, IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
People are forgetting that Chris Sale is around and easily could be in majors for opening day, 2011.

I think the Sox would be pretty agressive if they thought he could be starting at the major league level that quickly. But he does have pretty damn good stuff as evidenced by the numbers he's putting up out of the pen in the minors. That said, there is a huge difference between relieving and starting.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
I think if we got Edwin, we'd get him knowing he's been better than his numbers indicate this year and doing it in a supreme hitters haven (much like the cell) and with the intent that we could spin him in the off-season for other parts or with an off-season with coop get him to live up to his potential.

What have been the velocity readings on Jackson since the no-hitter?

Has he sustained a loss since going almost 150 pitches in that outing?

Ethier gets pretty expensive next year, maybe the Dodgers feel that money is best used elsewhere. He makes:

2010 28 Los Angeles Dodgers $5,750,000

2011 29 Los Angeles Dodgers $9,250,000

-Baseball-reference

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
I don't think it's Eithier, don't Dodgers think they're still in it?

and even if they arent in it, they certainly are still in it for next year....and i would imagine ethier would be a big part of that ....unless the divorce thing means they cant pay ethiers 9 mil next year....but i would think they would try to cut in other areas first...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
What have been the velocity readings on Jackson since the no-hitter?

Has he sustained a loss since going almost 150 pitches in that outing?

Diamondbacks right-hander Edwin Jackson has had only two starts since his 149-pitch no-hitter, but neither has been impressive. Still, he insists there have been no negative effects from the high pitch count.

But he says with a wry smile that he wouldn't say anything even if he didn't feel fine.

"I still feel normal," said Jackson, who has allowed nine runs in 10 innings in his past two starts. "But even if I was hurt, I wouldn't tell y'all. I wouldn't even tell the trainers. I'm old school with it. If it's something I can deal with, I'll deal with it."

The radar gun would seem to confirm what Jackson is saying. According to Pitch-f/x data, Jackson averaged 94 mph on his fastball on June 19, the start before his no-hitter. In the two starts after the no-hitter, he has averaged 93 and 94 mph.

Of course, fatigue can show up in a pitcher's command, as well. Jackson's command hasn't been good since the no-hitter. Then again, it wasn't great before or during it, either.

Pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr. didn't sound concerned about Jackson, noting that his between-starts side sessions have been good. Stottlemyre said the team has cut back on Jackson's workload between starts, having him throw fewer pitches with less intensity as a way to preserve him for the second half.

"We're trying to allow him to have that fresh-arm feeling so that he can have a good second half," Stottlemyre said. "Historically, he hasn't had good second halves."

That's particularly true the past two years, in which Jackson has posted ERAs of 5.15 and 5.07 in the second half.

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:35 AM)
Problem is though...you're paying for him as though he hasn't been bad this year.

There is no way I can say I like the idea of giving up Hudson for Jackson, but at the very least, at least we are getting a guy wtih good stuff. Better dealing Huddy for him than Huddy for some guy with limited upside who isn't very good.

Either way I'm not a fan of the idea, but I guess I could live with it if we are about to land some huge bat too.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:17 AM)
I'm gonna go ahead and ask how is Edwin Jackson an upgrade over Freddy Garcia.

Thanks in advance.

hes not and at 8.3M he is insanely overpaid

I dont think kenny is this dumb