White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
It's about as irrelevant as when you said you would laugh when Hudson never becomes anything good.

That really doesn't matter at all. Hudson can become a stud or he can become Josh Fogg, who the hell knows at this point? But what we do know is that he was our top prospect, or maybe no. 2 behind Viciedo, and it was dumb to trade him for a pitcher who is older, a lot more expensive, and as big of a question mark as Hudson is.

It doesn't make any f***ing sense!

But in the grand scheme of things what the f*** does it matter if he's our number 2 prospect? He's the 2nd tallest midget. If this guy was so highly regarded and sought after then why didn't the Nationals jump at a chance to trade Dunn for him?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Yeah, even better point by you! 1 world series title in 10 years = lifetime free pass!!!!

You stated that half the board has blind faith for no reason whatsoever. A world championship is a great reason and the rest of your comment is a gross exageration on a couple of different levels.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
If people want to believe that Hudson is better than Jackson, thats one thing.

But to suggest that some how the Sox dont understand the potential consequences of adding more pitching salary to a team in need of hitting, is just mind boggling.

At least give the Sox management some credit, that maybe they know a little bit what they are doing. Thats all I ask from posters, juts give them a shred of credit.

You dont have to agree, but KW has been responsible for more success than any other GM in my life. He at least deserves some deference in his decision making.

I don't think we're suggesting they don't understand the consequences as much as wondering what the hell they are thinking...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
Kalapse,

When 90% of the posters are condescending towards me, I cant help myself.

If people want to imply that I dont understand f***ing salary, the most simple thing in baseball, then Im going to give it back in spades.

If people want to believe that Hudson is better than Jackson, thats one thing.

But to suggest that some how the Sox dont understand the potential consequences of adding more pitching salary to a team in need of hitting, is just mind boggling.

At least give the Sox management some credit, that maybe they know a little bit what they are doing. Thats all I ask from posters, juts give them a shred of credit.

You dont have to agree, but KW has been responsible for more success than any other GM in my life. He at least deserves some deference in his decision making.

Youve been making a strong argument that you dont understand it though. Youve been stating that it doesnt matter, that they can afford it, but you have shown no understanding of the ramifications of the additional salary in which EJax brings.

And Im not saying adding salary is bad, I just think his performance will be about the same as Hudson's so when combined with the salary EJax has its an awful idea to make that trade.

Why would I give teh Sox mgmt credit if I disagree with the trade? I like that they are proactive, but I would rather have them stay pat if they make bad trades like this.

And just because KW has been the most successful GM in your life doesnt mean you shouldnt question his moves or doesnt take away your right to disagree with him.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
And it should be clear that on todays market, Jackson at 8mil was worth more than Hudson.

KW isnt going out and doing other teams favors. This was all he could get for Hudson.

Id rather have Jackson out there every 5 days than Hudson this season.

So I should be happy to pay 16 times as much for a negligable improvement?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)
Youve been making a strong argument that you dont understand it though. Youve been stating that it doesnt matter, that they can afford it, but you have shown no understanding of the ramifications of the additional salary in which EJax brings.

And Im not saying adding salary is bad, I just think his performance will be about the same as Hudson's so when combined with the salary EJax has its an awful idea to make that trade.

Why would I give teh Sox mgmt credit if I disagree with the trade? I like that they are proactive, but I would rather have them stay pat if they make bad trades like this.

And just because KW has been the most successful GM in your life doesnt mean you shouldnt question his moves or doesnt take away your right to disagree with him.

Personally, I'm scared to death of KW trades these days. They've been just awful since the end of 2008.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
But in the grand scheme of things what the f*** does it matter if he's our number 2 prospect? He's the 2nd tallest midget. If this guy was so highly regarded and sought after then why didn't the Nationals jump at a chance to trade Dunn for him?

It doesnt matter what he was ranked, but he was the best, young, cheap pitcher that had the chance to have an impact NOW and in the future with the Sox. You just traded him for a pitcher with just as many question marks, but who is older and has an $8.5 mill price tag.

What they are thinking is simple:

They tried to trade Hudson for the best impact player they could get. The only guy they could get was Jackson.

When you look at the Sox right now (without Peavy) there staff is good, but it has big question marks at 4/5. Jackson should hopefully be a serviceable and reliable 4th starter. That means Freddy can move to 5.

If no one else wanted Hudson, and the White Sox wanted to improve, they had to get whoever they could.

What should be absolutely clear is that no one in the Sox organization felt that Hudson was even close to as good as Jackson.

They see Hudson every day, and they still thought that the risk of Jackson + 8mil was worth more than Hudson.

Doesnt all of this suggest Hudson just might not be that good.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
And it should be clear that on todays market, Jackson at 8mil was worth more than Hudson.

KW isnt going out and doing other teams favors. This was all he could get for Hudson.

That is hard for me to swallow, but you may be right. However, that certainly does not mean that the $8 million is somehow irrelevant.

The bottom line for me is I was at Henry Ts restaurant eating lunch with 3 people and this trade popped on the screen and I about spit out my Coke in disgust.

Hudson for Jackson. Like many said ... makes little sense right now. Will it make more sense later tonight, maybe?

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)

Well, considering most of the rumors are that the Nats want Beckham from us, it is very likely the Nats undervalue the rest of our prospects.

I find it hilarious when people use the "well, that is all we got from them, so obviously he couldn't have been that good" argument.

Using this logic means that Dan Haren is a mediocre pitcher, and not a very good one having a down year.

I would rather have Hudson out there every 5 days with all things considered. If this is all Hudson gets you, you dont make the move.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
It doesnt matter what he was ranked, but he was the best, young, cheap pitcher that had the chance to have an impact NOW and in the future with the Sox. You just traded him for a pitcher with just as many question marks, but who is older and has an $8.5 mill price tag.

I'm not defending the trade, I'm on the same page as most with regards to Hudson vs. Jackson. But it's not like trading Hudson was some colossal disaster, his value clearly wasn't very high around the league.

I'm with you on this one. I'd rather have Jackson out there this year than Hudson. It's not like there is a salary cap. I know we have a limit but it isn't set in stone and maybe they are willing to go to the high end of the range because of this deal.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
That is hard for me to swallow, but you may be right. However, that certainly does not mean that the $8 million is somehow irrelevant.

If that was all the value Hudson had, then you keep him and hope he pans out, because the situation with Hudson panning out >>>>> EJax panning out.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
I find it hilarious when people use the "well, that is all we got from them, so obviously he couldn't have been that good" argument.

I never once said that, so I'm not sure who you are referring to. But there is a massive disconnect between people on here's value of Hudson, and every major league teams value of Hudson.

The Sox usually dont take on this much salary.

They must feel that Jackson is a huge improvement over Hudson.

The 8mil being irrelevant is in terms of valuing the trade for this year. In the overall scope the money matters, but when you are looking at the trade exclusively for this season, the money for next year isnt relevant.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
I'm with you on this one. I'd rather have Jackson out there this year than Hudson. It's not like there is a salary cap. I know we have a limit but it isn't set in stone and maybe they are willing to go to the high end of the range because of this deal.

You really think that a struggling, terrible second half pitcher, is worth the $8.5 million upgrade while losing your youngest, cheapest, most impactful pitcher?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
What they are thinking is simple:

They tried to trade Hudson for the best impact player they could get. The only guy they could get was Jackson.

When you look at the Sox right now (without Peavy) there staff is good, but it has big question marks at 4/5. Jackson should hopefully be a serviceable and reliable 4th starter. That means Freddy can move to 5.

If no one else wanted Hudson, and the White Sox wanted to improve, they had to get whoever they could.

What should be absolutely clear is that no one in the Sox organization felt that Hudson was even close to as good as Jackson.

They see Hudson every day, and they still thought that the risk of Jackson + 8mil was worth more than Hudson.

Doesnt all of this suggest Hudson just might not be that good.

I think it is anything but simple....at least I am praying it is anything but simple...

I think what they see is either Jackson as another (cheaper) means to an end (Dunn), or they see Jackson as undervalued because of the potential that has not been tapped.

I'm not condemning anyone yet, because I think we need to let this play out - whether we move him, or whether they can make some mechanical adjustments - but on it's face, it is a definite head scratcher.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)

The 8mil being irrelevant is in terms of valuing the trade for this year. In the overall scope the money matters, but when you are looking at the trade exclusively for this season, the money for next year isnt relevant.

You cant just do that though. Do you really think the Sox only looked at Peavy's and Rio's salary when deciding to go get them?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
Personally, I'm scared to death of KW trades these days. They've been just awful since the end of 2008.

I'll give credit to KW for Peavy because most GM's who think they can compete make that trade, I know I would. And it was looking good in June.

Other than that, I think his overall track record with trades are pretty terrible. He has had some very good ones (Thome), but for the most part, I think he's been more miss than hit.

Look at the Tony Pena trade. We traded a solid, albeit not special, left handed hitting 1B/DH prospect for basically what is a glorified long man (I've seen enough of Pena to know he won't ever reach his potential, at least not with us). How much better off would we be with D.J. Carrasco in Pena's spot and Allen still in the system?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
You really think that a struggling, terrible second half pitcher, is worth the $8.5 million upgrade while losing your youngest, cheapest, most impactful pitcher?

I think Jackson is a better pitcher right now than Hudson and believe he has more potential than Hudson. The 8.5 million isn't for me to worry about.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Imo, 2010 Edwin Jackson > 2010 Daniel Hudson. By a good margin.

Now go get Fat Elvis (and $) and call it a deadline.

Look at EJax's stats this year, and his historical second halves. Hes been pretty bad.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)

Really? I feel like the Sox take on this much salary all the time in trades. They did it twice last year, Peavy and Rios make a hell of a lot more than this guy.