White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:26 AM)
i wish i could but it takes two to deal and the options seem to be drying up

Doc, do you get the sense we've made our final offer to Rizzo or does Kenny have one more Dunn-play he can make, but he's trying like hell to avoid it?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely enough you wonder if Viciedo's game last night will reinforce their belief in him, I cannot see how they can trade him away, he's a key piece to the puzzle especially when you consider we will lose PK next year most likely. We can't deal all of our future prospects...

Anyways, only time will tell but I am praying that Coop said he could fix Ejax and we get a solid #4 who had success in the central last year. I don't see us dealing Ejax right now, nor do I think KW got him SOLELY to land Dunn, that would be stupid as he'd lose leverage at that stage. If he got him he must be willing to keep him.

And secondly, who would we trade to get Brett Myers? We'd obviously need to get another starter at that point. I just don't see this happening all in the next 12 hrs (from the time I am writing this post)

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:57 AM)
Strangely enough you wonder if Viciedo's game last night will reinforce their belief in him, I cannot see how they can trade him away, he's a key piece to the puzzle especially when you consider we will lose PK next year most likely. We can't deal all of our future prospects...

Anyways, only time will tell but I am praying that Coop said he could fix Ejax and we get a solid #4 who had success in the central last year. I don't see us dealing Ejax right now, nor do I think KW got him SOLELY to land Dunn, that would be stupid as he'd lose leverage at that stage. If he got him he must be willing to keep him.

And secondly, who would we trade to get Brett Myers? We'd obviously need to get another starter at that point. I just don't see this happening all in the next 12 hrs (from the time I am writing this post)

Someone in this thread earlier said that Myers stuff was bull.

I have liked EJax since I heard that KW thinks Coop will fix him. However if we were some how able to acquire Dunn for Jax+Morel or Danks and cash AND are able to add a servicable rotation arm. Lilly or Meyers (douche). As long as Tank isn't involved, I guess I'd be able to get over EJax.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
We hear this after every traded prospect. I guess the logical thing to do would be to start DRAFTING BETTER.

Dan Hudson as a 5th round pick with signing bonus under $200k is nothing but a total success

Why is there never pressure on Greg Walker to fix any hitter we get?

Some are acting like Cooper can make just one small or slight mechanical adjustment in Jackson and his ERA will go from 5+ in the NL to minus 3.50 in the American League...I'd like to believe it's THAT simple, but I just hope KW and Cooper know what they're doing.

Hopefully Jackson, if we actually end up holding on to him, hits the ground running. Interestingly, his first start would come against his former team, the Tigers, who are scuffling to stay in the race and are on life support these days. Thankfully, it will be in a pitcher's park where he feels comfortable.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
Dan Hudson as a 5th round pick with signing bonus under $200k is nothing but a total success

Brandon McCarthy, 17th round, 2002, $40,000 signing bonus

Chris B. Young, OF, 16th round, 2001

Aaron Rowand, 1998, 1st round (35th overall), $575,000

Joe Crede, 1996, 5th round

Mark Buehrle, 1998, 38th round, $150,000 signing bonus

Ryan Sweeney, 2003, 2nd round/52nd pick, $785,000

Jeremy Reed, 2002, 2nd round/59th pick, $650,000

Brandon Allen, 2004, 5th round

Chris Getz, 2005, 4th round, $225,000 signing bonus

Gio Gonzalez, 2004, 1st round, 38th pick, $850,000

Anthony Carter, 2005, 26th round

Daniel Hudson, 2008, 5th round, $180,000

Clayton Richard, 2005, 8th round, $78,000

Jon Rauch, 1999, 3rd round/99th pick...would go on to become the #1 prospect in baseball before the torn labrum and surgery

Dexter Carter, 2008, 13th round

Trayce Thompson, 2009

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Why is there never pressure on Greg Walker to fix any hitter we get?

Some are acting like Cooper can make just one small or slight mechanical adjustment in Jackson and his ERA will go from 5+ in the NL to minus 3.50 in the American League...I'd like to believe it's THAT simple, but I just hope KW and Cooper know what they're doing.

Hopefully Jackson, if we actually end up holding on to him, hits the ground running. Interestingly, his first start would come against his former team, the Tigers, who are scuffling to stay in the race and are on life support these days. Thankfully, it will be in a pitcher's park where he feels comfortable.

You certainly cannot believe Greg Walker gets a pass and the pressure is on Cooper. That really is beyond a reach. Supposedly KW said they noticed a flaw with Jackson. Maybe its just talk, but he was pretty good in the AL in 2008 and 2009 and can bring it up there at 97. Who knows, maybe if Peavy is healthy and Freddy comes back next year, Jackson is a closer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
You certainly cannot believe Greg Walker gets a pass and the pressure is on Cooper. That really is beyond a reach. Supposedly KW said they noticed a flaw with Jackson. Maybe its just talk, but he was pretty good in the AL in 2008 and 2009 and can bring it up there at 97. Who knows, maybe if Peavy is healthy and Freddy comes back next year, Jackson is a closer.

That's not out of the realm of possibilities. Weren't the Nats considering him as their closer?

This Kenny quote kind of jumped out at me over at mlb.com

"I told [D-backs general manager] Jerry [DiPoto] just that, 'You're getting [a good] young man and you're getting [a good] pitcher.' Listen, we don't have to win deals here. We just have to get the guy we want that fits into our equation."

I guess Kenny knows he overpaid to get the deal done.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 06:18 AM)

Cooper did say that he thinks he sees an easily fixed glitch in Jackson's mechanics..

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)

I'm only asking this...have we ever acquired a hitter on the advice of Walker, because they noticed a mechanical flaw or adjustment holding them back?

Now if this happened with Rios or Quentin or whoever, that's great...I just never heard about it.

With Cooper, they have found the flaws in Thornton and Floyd pretty quickly (not sure about Danks) and it seems they have an idea what advice they want to give Jackson too.

The White Sox have been playing over their heads for weeks, the offense is actually looking, at worst, at least middle-tier in the AL and nobody could make lemonade out of Jones and Kotsay, I am just curious why it's easier to "fix" pitchers than hitters?

If you searched the database, how many COOP WILL FIX HIM posts have there been since they days of Loiaza and Marte? I would guess hundreds, if not thousands...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)

That is possible but whatever if the flaw is mechanical and he listens to Cooper maybe we end up with a valuable pitcher in the rotation

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
I'm only asking this...have we ever acquired a hitter on the advice of Walker, because they noticed a mechanical flaw or adjustment holding them back?

Now if this happened with Rios or Quentin or whoever, that's great...I just never heard about it.

With Cooper, they have found the flaws in Thornton and Floyd pretty quickly (not sure about Danks) and it seems they have an idea what advice they want to give Jackson too.

The White Sox have been playing over their heads for weeks, the offense is actually looking, at worst, at least middle-tier in the AL and nobody could make lemonade out of Jones and Kotsay, I am just curious why it's easier to "fix" pitchers than hitters?

If you searched the database, how many COOP WILL FIX HIM posts have there been since they days of Loiaza and Marte? I would guess hundreds, if not thousands...

the reason is that a pitcher has 4 days in between starts to work with coop - hitters are out there every day. if they're in a slump, it's harder to break out of it because there's so much pressure to turn it around the NEXT day. I imagine it's harder for a coach to fix mechanics and such because of the same reason. an 0-16 over 4 days will get you benched. Not much time to work.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
the reason is that a pitcher has 4 days in between starts to work with coop - hitters are out there every day. if they're in a slump, it's harder to break out of it because there's so much pressure to turn it around the NEXT day. I imagine it's harder for a coach to fix mechanics and such because of the same reason. an 0-16 over 4 days will get you benched. Not much time to work.

Not if you're Mark Kotsay.

9:42am: The D'Backs will also receive reliever D.J. Carrasco, reports MLB.com's Steve Gilbert. Carrasco has $336K plus incentives left on his contract this year, and he's under team control through 2012. He should be a useful piece in what figures to be a revamped bullpen for Arizona next year.

Anyone want to bet that KW also talked to DiPoto about bringing DJ over to the DBacks? That's the kind of advice that GM's appreciate...I have no way of proving anything, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:45 AM)
Doc, do you get the sense we've made our final offer to Rizzo or does Kenny have one more Dunn-play he can make, but he's trying like hell to avoid it?

i dont think we have made our final offer

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)

You have to subtract a lot of those which were posted in green, and still more that should have. I'd guess maybe 25% were serious, if that. "Coop will fix him" has become a cliche'