The White Sox: Who Are They, Really?

caulfield12

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Av.h...tradebuzz073010

I feel that the last 2 months have been some kind of bizarre "Quadruple Vortex" (inside joke, ask Ranger someday)...

We've gone through a cycle where arguably we were one of the worst franchises in baseball to one of the most powerful?

What's going on? Can we not see the forest for the trees anymore, our mindset of "mid market" has warped our thinking?

I'm not really sure what to believe anymore. From not having the ability to go the extra mile to sign Johnny Damon, after picking up Rios and peavy, now we're operating in a new environment again where scarce resources and future budget allocations don't apply?

If we really are planning to keep Edwin Jackson, is JR no longer concerned about 2011's $75 million going to 11 players, the biggest chunk of that to our starting rotation?

The way Passan (who's one of the best baseball reporters out there) was writing that article, he was assuming we'd also somehow end up with Adam Dunn, too.

Is this the biggest KW bluff since Orlando Cabrera?

Will keeping Jackson for next year force a trade of Danks1 and seemingly finalize the departures of Konerko and AJ?

What the heck is going on?

Will the real JR please stand up?

I dunno, but I'd hate to see us deal Danks I. He's seemingly special.

Ditto Viciedo and Beckham. Don't want to see them go.

I'm falling more and more in love with Paulie's defense believe it or not. That coupled with his still steady bat makes for a guy I wouldn't mind sticking around.

Lexi is another guy I'm falling for.

Maybe this offseason will be the year we drop the salaries of Mark and Jenks.

Who knows? I just hope we don't make a dumb trade tomorrow and hope we make the playoffs.

In no way do I see the Jackson deal as a sign the sox will have to trade John Danks. The sox can cut costs elsewhere such as Jenks or not re-sign Pk with Viciedo around. They'll find a way to pay Danks.

The sox know that pitching--both SP and bullpen-is going to be where they spend their money as it will lead to them winning. Having solid defenders behind their pitching also plays an important part.

The sox are a team that is willing to spend what it takes to win but has to know whether they can recoup costs at the gate. They have spent a lot of money at the deadline with the idea that the have a chance to win. If they go to the playoffs, the additional money for Jackson will be justified.

What is the big confusion on this trade? The Sox got an established starter to take Peavey's spot. He can eat up a lot of innings and help keep the bullpen fresh. He is more what we need at this point in time than a rook who we don't know what he is going to give us. Hudson potential? Maybe, but so did Brandon McCarthey . Any one miss him? Dunn would be seperste deal. I don't think we need him. Ozzie changed this team from the sort of regular dh who strikes out alot, hits into double plays and can't run. He has the type of team he wants. Lets leave it alone now that we have another starter and keep it going the way we have been.

Detroit is falling back and Minnesota is overated. They don't have the pitching. Starting or relief. GO SOX!

Actually, Duensing, Slowey and Baker have been pitching quite decently since their rotation imploded before the break and they were forced to demote Blackburn. Pavano and Liriano have been excellent.

THAT SAID, their competition has been the White Sox, Indians, Orioles, Royals and now the Mariners.

With Capps, Rauch, Guerrier, Crain and Mijares, they've got a pretty good pen. Still not as much firepower as the White Sox, but arguably they're more solid at the back end than we are with Jenks (unless Bobby consistently flashes the form of his last time out the rest of the season in his drive for a new contract from SOMEONE).

Actually, Capps looks like he could be Jenks' younger, slightly more fit brother without the silly dyed goatee.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:00 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Av.h...tradebuzz073010

I feel that the last 2 months have been some kind of bizarre "Quadruple Vortex" (inside joke, ask Ranger someday)...

We've gone through a cycle where arguably we were one of the worst franchises in baseball to one of the most powerful?

What's going on? Can we not see the forest for the trees anymore, our mindset of "mid market" has warped our thinking?

I'm not really sure what to believe anymore. From not having the ability to go the extra mile to sign Johnny Damon, after picking up Rios and peavy, now we're operating in a new environment again where scarce resources and future budget allocations don't apply?

If we really are planning to keep Edwin Jackson, is JR no longer concerned about 2011's $75 million going to 11 players, the biggest chunk of that to our starting rotation?

The way Passan (who's one of the best baseball reporters out there) was writing that article, he was assuming we'd also somehow end up with Adam Dunn, too.

Is this the biggest KW bluff since Orlando Cabrera?

Will keeping Jackson for next year force a trade of Danks1 and seemingly finalize the departures of Konerko and AJ?

What the heck is going on?

Will the real JR please stand up?

I'm pretty sure that guy was attempting to be funny by trying to sound like an insane caller. I don't think he really believed what he said. If he meant it, though, God bless him.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
A team with a lot of determination, a crafty GM, some promising young stars. and an idiot for a manager.

He's really not, man. If you were watching LaRussa on a daily basis, you'd be scratching your head at quite a bit of what he does. Then you'd realize Ozzie isn't all that different from most managers as for as the perceived insanity of his moves. He's not stupid and, actually, he's fairly standard in terms of his decisions. The problem is that he says crazy stuff and so people tend to think he doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to baseball. Trust me, though, he's forgotten a lot more than we'll ever know.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 04:06 AM)
I'm pretty sure that guy was attempting to be funny by trying to sound like an insane caller. I don't think he really believed what he said. If he meant it, though, God bless him.

He's really not, man. If you were watching LaRussa on a daily basis, you'd be scratching your head at quite a bit of what he does. Then you'd realize Ozzie isn't all that different from most managers as for as the perceived insanity of his moves. He's not stupid and, actually, he's fairly standard in terms of his decisions. The problem is that he says crazy stuff and so people tend to think he doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to baseball. Trust me, though, he's forgotten a lot more than we'll ever know.

You are right Ranger. You haven't been around a lot lately. A lot of Ozzie displeasure/hate on here. I agree with everything Ranger said on Oz!

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:00 AM)
Wow, never did I think we'd see the Sox listed among baseball's 7 most powerful teams due to our financial resources...

If within two weeks you trade for a guy due like $15 million, then claim another guy due $13 million, that will put you up in that top 7 pretty quickly.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 02:20 AM)
If within two weeks you trade for a guy due like $15 million, then claim another guy due $13 million, that will put you up in that top 7 pretty quickly.

Yes, I understand how our payroll is so high. Not sure if you caught my point - my entire life as a Sox fan until 2006 has consisted of us being cheap and not being able to afford more than one or two expensive players. So, yeah, it still catches me a bit off-guard when someone refers to the Sox as a financial power.