White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

The latest on MLBTR:

Dodgers Consider Options; Manny Wants Extension

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 26 at 7:55am CST]

The Dodgers and White Sox have have discussed a potential Manny Ramirez trade, but according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, Los Angeles has spoken to at least one other team about the 38-year-old. The Rays and Rangers are interested in Ramirez, though the Dodgers are not fully committed to making a trade.

Ramirez wants a one-year extension to waive his no-trade clause, a source tells Rosenthal and Morosi. If he clears waivers, Ramirez could have the leverage to make such demands, but if a team claims him, the Dodgers would only be able to negotiate with that club. The White Sox intend to claim Ramirez, according to FOX, though that won’t necessarily happen.

Teams have until the end of the week to claim Ramirez, who hit waivers yesterday. If he’s claimed, the Dodgers will have until Tuesday afternoon to work out a deal. Click here to vote on whether a National League team wil claim Ramirez and here for more detail on trading in August.

Well it's time to hold our breaths. It always seems tht the first day is good news, the next is bad, and the last day usually ends without us getting our guy. Now he wants an extension, more teams talking (for sure one), things are going to get interesting the next 48 hrs.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. I don't see him getting to us and then not claiming him. So I don't see him passing through and being able to control the leverage.

An extension would defeat the purpose of a ManRam acq. I would want him playing for contract in September. I'm find with him as our DH next year, just not at the cost of an extension now.

Something seems really fishy to me with all the publicity surrounding this all week. A lot is already out which makes me nervous. Either KW really wants Manny or LA is using us like every other team and player as leverge to increase interest.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
Awesome! Thank goodness we put all of our eggs in one basket.

I don't know how many options there really are out there that can help as much as Manny. I would have like Adam LaRoche, but it doesn't seem like the D-Backs wanna trade him, and it would probably take more than Hudson to get him, which the Sox dont really have.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
I don't know how many options there really are out there that can help as much as Manny. I would have like Adam LaRoche, but it doesn't seem like the D-Backs wanna trade him, and it would probably take more than Hudson to get him, which the Sox dont really have.

Huh? Adam Laroche got through waivers unclaimed. There's no way it takes more than Hudson to get him. That one was the Sox not wanting him, not the D-Backs not wanting to get rid of him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
Huh? Adam Laroche got through waivers unclaimed. There's no way it takes more than Hudson to get him. That one was the Sox not wanting him, not the D-Backs not wanting to get rid of him.

Should the Sox have claimed him to see what would happen? Yes, I think so. I just don't think it would have been that easy to snag him away from Arizona. They supposedly are working on an extension and seem to be very pleased with him.

Buster_ESPN Fallout from the two crazy NL games on Wednesday, the Manny waiver claims, two AL Cy Young candidates, and the links.

18 minutes ago

Buster_ESPN Good morning, folks -- todays' column is posted (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=5499128).

Anyone have insider? Buster mentions manny waiver claims as in plural. If anyone has it and can check of there is anythig interesting thanks

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
Anyone have insider? Buster mentions manny waiver claims as in plural. If anyone has it and can check of there is anythig interesting thanks

Nah. I used to have the insider but it was only Buster posting twitpics of himself naked.

Someone asked LAs beat writer what he thought it would take for us to get ManRam, here's his ansewer for alll those who are wondering what it may cost.

dylanohernandez @antonioG4L Probably inventory-type prospects... someone in the Jon Link mold... plus salary relief, which is what the #Dodgers really want.

about 8 hours ago in reply to antonioG4L

I know our system decently well, but not that well. Anybody have players that fit that mold?

I also think that the Dodgers would take a lesser package for various reasons; first because we basically gave them Thome last season for their playoff push, secondly we gave them a lot for JP IMO. Finally these teams know each others prospects well, or should, because we share a ST complex and have for the last two years. We also have trade history in each of the past two years.

If Manny falls to us I see no way of it falling through because of prospects or mannys requests. This may be a smoke screen to scare other teams away by saying he wants an extension and won't waive his NTC for just anyone.

I seen on MLBTR that it says Manny is asking for a 1yr extention to waive his NTC. I don't know if I would give him that yr.

Dodgers Consider Options; Manny Wants Extension

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 26 at 7:55am CST]

The Dodgers and White Sox have have discussed a potential Manny Ramirez trade, but according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, Los Angeles has spoken to at least one other team about the 38-year-old. The Rays and Rangers are interested in Ramirez, though the Dodgers are not fully committed to making a trade.

Ramirez wants a one-year extension to waive his no-trade clause, a source tells Rosenthal and Morosi. If he clears waivers, Ramirez could have the leverage to make such demands, but if a team claims him, the Dodgers would only be able to negotiate with that club. The White Sox intend to claim Ramirez, according to FOX, though that won’t necessarily happen.

Teams have until the end of the week to claim Ramirez, who hit waivers yesterday. If he’s claimed, the Dodgers will have until Tuesday afternoon to work out a deal. Click here to vote on whether a National League team wil claim Ramirez and here for more detail on trading in August.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
Someone asked LAs beat writer what he thought it would take for us to get ManRam, here's his ansewer for alll those who are wondering what it may cost.

dylanohernandez @antonioG4L Probably inventory-type prospects... someone in the Jon Link mold... plus salary relief, which is what the #Dodgers really want.

about 8 hours ago in reply to antonioG4L

I know our system decently well, but not that well. Anybody have players that fit that mold?

I also think that the Dodgers would take a lesser package for various reasons; first because we basically gave them Thome last season for their playoff push, secondly we gave them a lot for JP IMO. Finally these teams know each others prospects well, or should, because we share a ST complex and have for the last two years. We also have trade history in each of the past two years.

If Manny falls to us I see no way of it falling through because of prospects or mannys requests. This may be a smoke screen to scare other teams away by saying he wants an extension and won't waive his NTC for just anyone.

If all they want is Jon Link types, then yeah, we have a number of them, at various levels of readiness. That aspect would be no problem.

Seems weird, if LAD really wants salary relief more than anything, then don't bother trading - just waive him to whomever claims him, so that they have to take the full contract.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 06:56 AM)
I haven't read the entire thread,but alot of it, does anyone think there's a chance Washington's GM gives Kenny a big F-you and puts a claim in on Manny? KW basically called out Rizzo at the trade deadline without mentioning him by name. Rizzo could put a claim in knowing Manny won't go there and still stick it to Williams.

He deserved to be called out, he acted like an ass

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Buster_ESPN

Manny may have played his last game for L.A. Not in lineup today (day game after night game),and we'll know Friday mid-day about waiver sit.

I sure as hell hope they tentatively agreed on a deal. I don't buy that whole Manny demanding a 1 year extension stuff. Last year we pretty much gave the Dodgers Thome for the stretch run. The Dodgers were pretty kind in the Pierre deal as well. Both teams share the same spring training facility as well. Its safe to say they have an outstanding business relationship. Unless some NL team swoops in for him, I'll be shocked if Manny isn't dealt to the White Sox tommorow.