White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
Didn't he just hit a couple of doubles his last night playing? Sounds like a smokescreen to me.

It could be a lot of things. It could be straight and he's not ready for the better pitching in the league. He could still be a huge injury risk in the field and they can't DH him. They may think they really have very little chance and want to sit him and if they lose 2 out of 3, dumping him won't seem so bad, if they win 2 or 3 and get closer, they can say they won without him. Its anyone's guess, and if Nightengale is right and the teams have not had trade discussions prior to the claim, dumping the financial obligation is a pretty big motivator IMO if you really think you are probably dead anyway or better off without him.

I couldn't have been more wrong with how I thought this scenerio was going to go, but if I was betting now I'd say Manny will be a White Sox if he agrees to come by Tuesday.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
Wouldn't a reverse jinx mean that what you say comes true?

Yes, when I go overboard and say the Sox will get swept, they do well, etc. When I feel we will win, losses mount.

I probably should stop it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Yes, when I go overboard and say the Sox will get swept, they do well, etc. When I feel we will win, losses mount.

I probably should stop it.

Jinx = opposite outcome happens

Reverse = opposite

So, a reverse Jinx would be two opposites, so in fact, it would not be a jinx or reverse outcome at all......

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
It could be a lot of things. It could be straight and he's not ready for the better pitching in the league. He could still be a huge injury risk in the field and they can't DH him. They may think they really have very little chance and want to sit him and if they lose 2 out of 3, dumping him won't seem so bad, if they win 2 or 3 and get closer, they can say they won without him. Its anyone's guess, and if Nightengale is right and the teams have not had trade discussions prior to the claim, dumping the financial obligation is a pretty big motivator IMO if you really think you are probably dead anyway or better off without him.

I couldn't have been more wrong with how I thought this scenerio was going to go, but if I was betting now I'd say Manny will be a White Sox if he agrees to come by Tuesday.

My guess is that they would rather avoid playing him so as to avoid injury, but the decision was not made very difficult Friday night, as he was 1-13 lifetime against Ubaldo with like 7 K's. Does seem interesting though that they would sit him and yet not engage in any serious talks with us. One would think a healthy and productive Manny would help their bargaining position, at least a little. Additionally, they are probably worried he'll get a game winning walk-off hit or something, in which case it would be pretty impossible to move him afterwards because of PR and clubhouse implications.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
Update from nightengale, kindA:

BNightengale #mlb #dodgers Intriguing to see if Manny is in the lineup tonight against the Rockies. If not, Dodgers may be saying he's no longer wanted.

13 minutes ago

BNightengale #mlb #dodgers #whitesox Manny Ramirez has told friends that he will NOT require the White Sox to extend his contract if he's traded.,

21 minutes ago

To answer the question...no, Manny is not in the lineup tonight, for the 3rd day in a row. Joe Torre's using the large OF in Coors as an excuse.

If they don't let him go, basically, they're holding onto a $4 million pinch hitter, they clearly don't want him in the field. Buster Olney thinks they're just flat out trying to keep him from being hurt.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
Buster_ESPN

Heard this:Right now, the Dodgers' intention is to not just dump Manny on the White Sox;CWS must make it worth their while with a prospect

And the saga continues....

Their actions speak louder here.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
If Sox are 5.5 games out come Monday or Tuesday, Manny and his contract while giving up prospects is just not worth it.

Why, there is an entire month of baseball left.. anyone we give to the dodgers wont be worth a crap I can almost guarantee that.. and even if it somehow is, it will be because they are giving us some money..

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)
If Sox are 5.5 games out come Monday or Tuesday, Manny and his contract while giving up prospects is just not worth it.

Not to be a negative prick, but I agree.

This is the second year in a row we may make an acquisition too late to mean s***.

By the time Peavy started pitching, we were buried.

I mean if we are 6 out on Tuesday, why would we want Manny ... unless we also want him the following season, which frankly, is possible.

The question is, what prospect do we even have in our system worth $1 million to another team?

It's not going to be Mitchell, Thompson or Viciedo....that leaves who? Tyler Flowers? I just can't see who we're going to trade that will "discount" the cash that we're going to have to pay Ramirez significantly.

If I'm Coletti, I would ask for Sergio Santos probably...and there's no way KW can do that with the pen in shambles.

The crazy thing is, as much as it would have been nice to have Manny for this series (if we indeed were going to acquire him eventually anyway), the offense hasn't been the problem at all.

Tonight's game is such a wasted opportunity, since we scored so many runs. But Danks sucked.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
The question is, what prospect do we even have in our system worth $1 million to another team?

It's not going to be Mitchell, Thompson or Viciedo....that leaves who? Tyler Flowers? I just can't see who we're going to trade that will "discount" the cash that we're going to have to pay Ramirez significantly.

If I'm Coletti, I would ask for Sergio Santos probably...and there's no way KW can do that with the pen in shambles.

Tyler Flowers and Sergio Santos are both on the 40 man roster, so they would have to clear waivers to be traded, which would not happen. They will not be involved in a trade for Manny

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)

Or the fact that Sergio would have to make it through waivers, and the Orioles would claim him.

The best that Kenny would part with and the Dodgers could get would be Morel.

More from LA beat writer;

dylanohernandez "If for some reason, one of our players is not on this team, that doesn’t mean we’re throwing up the white flag," Joe Torre said. #Dodgers

about 5 hours ago

dylanohernandez #Manny is 1 for 8 in his career against Jason Hammel, who starts tomorrow for the #Rockies.

about 5 hours ago

dylanohernandez Torre was non-committal when asked if #Manny would be in the #Dodgers' lineup tomorrow.

about 5 hours ago

Interesting article on dodger team site about manny. Here's the interesting quote I found, although it's been reported and said here, this is directly from the MLB site so it has some value:

"Ramirez was claimed off waivers Friday by the White Sox (Texas and Tampa also put in claims). The Dodgers have until Tuesday morning to deal him and the remaining $4.3 million on his contract to Chicago or keep him.

It's been speculated that Ramirez is demanding a contract extension to approve a trade and the White Sox are balking. Perhaps his benching convinces Ramirez that moving on to be a White Sox DH without a contract extension is a better career move than sitting with the Dodgers."

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 01:32 AM)
Don't you guys wish we'd acquired a Manny type player right after the break when we were in first place?

Why do we always gotta wait so long?

I know ... Berkman, Mr. DL turned down the trade.

we could of overpaid for dunn but longterm it just wasn't worth it. KW did all he could to get dunn. now why we haven't obtained adam laroche i will never know. he seemed so damn logical for this team.