White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

we could of overpaid for dunn but longterm it just wasn't worth it. KW did all he could to get dunn. now why we haven't obtained adam laroche i will never know. he seemed so damn logical for this team.

Agreed. s*** we couldn't even get Hawpe? lol.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 01:42 AM)
we could of overpaid for dunn but longterm it just wasn't worth it. KW did all he could to get dunn. now why we haven't obtained adam laroche i will never know. he seemed so damn logical for this team.

I'm sure the D-Backs were asking for too much in return for him, cause it looks like they want to keep him. Why the Sox didn't at least claim the guy just to see what happens? That I don't know.

Olney was on Baseball Tonight last night and said some service called Accuscores determined acquiring Manny meant 1/2 more win for the Sox for the balance of the season. Hopefully its against Minnesota.

I just looked up accuscores. They like the Sox today .

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 06:42 AM)

You don't know that. From everything we've heard, he was unwilling to even consider trading Beckham, Viciedo, or E. Jackson. Unless there's some magical prospects in our system I haven't heard about, good luck trying to acquire above average talent with the likes of Flowers, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
You don't know that. From everything we've heard, he was unwilling to even consider trading Beckham, Viciedo, or E. Jackson. Unless there's some magical prospects in our system I haven't heard about, good luck trying to acquire above average talent with the likes of Flowers, etc.

For a rental and at the price of Beckham or Viciedo, it just wasn't worth it. We all know EJax was the guy we were going to flip for Dunn and Washington renigged on the deal. Rizzo thought he could get a great package, but you don't get great packages for guys with 2 months til free agency.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Manny not playing again today for Dodgers

Is there any reason at all not to think the Dodgers will dump Manny on the White Sox? If they aren't playing the guy, either he's hurt or there is some spectacular prospect KW is willing to send their way. They can already get out of the money.

Its almost like they are telling Manny please leave, you aren't going to play here, that the only hold up is fear he will say no.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
if a player is claimed, like Manny and then gets hurt between the claim and the deadline to make a deal, can the team still give him away or since he is injured, could the team who claimed him refuse the player?

They can still give him away, but in most circumstances they wouldn't due to the lingering effects it would have on them in the future.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
BNightengale

#mlb #dodgers Since the Dodgers aren't playing Manny, it's clear they will dealing him. Manny is telling friends he can't wait to join Sox

Damn, you beat me to it. Great if he is excited to join us, hopefully that keeps him motivated for the next couple months.

Even if the Sox lose today's game and the Twins win and the Sox are 5.5 games back, I still want to see Manny here. Until the Sox are mathematically eliminated, they should do whatever they can to make themselves better.

I've said this before, whoever is eliminated (Twins or Sox), I don't think it'll be until the last week of the season.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
Even if the Sox lose today's game and the Twins win and the Sox are 5.5 games back, I still want to see Manny here.

Really, there's very little downside for the Sox. At $40 a ticket, covering that $4 million would take an extra 10,000 in ticket sales. Play around with the numbers a bit, but keep it a little closer and get the publicity and it's going to pay for itself.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
Really, there's very little downside for the Sox. At $40 a ticket, covering that $4 million would take an extra 10,000 in ticket sales. Play around with the numbers a bit, but keep it a little closer and get the publicity and it's going to pay for itself.

True. I just hope we hear something soon.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
True. I just hope we hear something soon.

The Dodgers are going to drag this out and make the Sox sweat a bit in case the Sox sweeten their offer. They'd be silly not to. But they'd have to be fools to hold onto a guy making that much who they have no interest in playing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)

Only problem is the timing with the 10 game road trip coming up. If we return from road trip 8 games out, I can't see many fans attending a game just to see Manny.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Manny just PH with the bases loaded in the 6th, took 1 pitch, it was called a strike, and got ejected for arguing. The pitch wasn't even that bad.

Manny doesn't want to be a Dodger anymore.

God dammit, Dodgers, just let him come over here.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
Am I the only one that remembers how far $4,000,000 would have gone this past off-season?

I am not against acquiring Manny and I realize that it would boost jersey/ticket sales but this is just something to think about.

I just feel like it's possibly too late, and that there will be no interested in the Sox even if we have Manny if the upcoming road stand goes poorly.