White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 02:08 AM)
Its kind of hard to think of his attitude as a problem with the production he has put up over his career.. its not like hes Milton Bradley or something.. if you look at Mannys career numbers, even if was half assing it at some points, those are still superior numbers to many high end players in this league..

I must be missing something. Manny was an integral part of two World Series title teams in Boston. Almost single-handedly pushed the Dodgers to the postseason in 2008. BUT OMG, HE'S NOT A GOOD GUY! The guy has an OPS of over .900 in the limited time he's played this year. Yeah, almost 4 million to one guy for a little over a month's work isn't ideal. But how could anybody say it wouldn't be worth it if he helps us get to the playoffs? Would it be better if we just stood pat and continued to roll wit Kotsay and the all or nothing Jones? I commend Kenny, who I've been very critical of this year, for not giving up and attempting to right an obvious wrong back in March. As for steroids? GET THE f*** OVER IT! I'm stoked about this addition.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 02:23 AM)
I must be missing something. Manny was an integral part of two World Series title teams in Boston. Almost single-handedly pushed the Dodgers to the postseason in 2008. BUT OMG, HE'S NOT A GOOD GUY! The guy has an OPS of over .900 in the limited time he's played this year. Yeah, almost 4 million to one guy for a little over a month's work isn't ideal. But how could anybody say it wouldn't be worth it if he helps us get to the playoffs? Would it be better if we just stood pat and continued to roll wit Kotsay and the all or nothing Jones? I commend Kenny, who I've been very critical of this year, for not giving up and attempting to right an obvious wrong back in March. As for steroids? GET THE f*** OVER IT! I'm stoked about this addition.

Yeah im not too sure why anyone would be against this move.. I would rather them make an effort to make the postseason then do nothing at all.. if the 4.3 million was that much of a deal, Reinsdorf would have never green lighted them claiming him and risking being stuck with all of it..

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 07:23 AM)

It's worth the gamble. Still, he is an ass (read Passon's take on yahoo cover) and a cheater.

Quitting on teammates is bulls*** and he's done it twice now. Completely horses***.

But it's worth one month of the bum. Hope he can help us pick up five games on the Twins.

We could have used him during the Yankee series as we faceplanted 2 of 3 at home.

I'm just glad Sox fans are smart enough to embrace this guy but not LOVE him like the sheep in other cities.

This is all about the White Sox not some love of a bum named Manny.

Lead the team to the pennant, Manny, and earn your ridiculous salary. His stats this year have not been good.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 02:47 AM)
Lead the team to the pennant, Manny, and earn your ridiculous salary. His stats this year have not been good.

Yes, earn your ridiculous 4 million dollars.. and I agree on his stats, why the hell would we want to add a guy hitting over .300 with a .900+ OPS?

Hes only played in 65 games, so if you wanna compare those 65 games to his 162 game averages then sure.. his numbers are garbage..

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 03:03 AM)
jaysonst

Here's what #WhiteSox would get stuck with if #Dodgers dump Manny's contract on them tomorrow: $3,825,136 and 61 cents! Keep the change!

with the season Konerko is having, picturing Manny on base for him 40% of his at bats gives me half a chub.. also when you consider how good Pierre has been now, this really is a huge addition for us..

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 03:58 AM)
But its funny how we now have Juan Pierre and Manny Ramirez.

Manny just adds to the old Cleveland 90s players we like to acquire.

CHICAGO -- At last glance, Manny Ramirez could not -- and will not -- pitch out of the White Sox bullpen.

And with setup men extraordinaire J.J. Putz and Matt Thornton on the disabled list, the second-place team in the American League Central certainly is in need of a little relief.

Ramirez might be able to provide that assistance without ever throwing a pitch, beefing up an already-sturdy White Sox lineup featuring Most Valuable Player candidate Paul Konerko, Alex Rios and Carlos Quentin.

Baseball sources have confirmed to MLB.com that Ramirez's run in Los Angeles has reached the end -- the 38-year-old with 554 career home runs will move back to the AL. Ramirez will become the White Sox primary designated hitter over the season's final 32 games, starting with six games in his former baseball homes of Cleveland and Boston, and the team hopes it gets a motivated talent whose final-month production could enhance his 2011 contractual status as a free agent.

Right leg injuries led to three trips to the disabled list this season, leaving Ramirez with just 12 at-bats since July 17. He has two hits in 11 at-bats since returning from the disabled list, but aside from two pinch-hit appearances, Ramirez has not played in the past four games or in any of the three weekend contests at Colorado. Although Ramirez could have forced extra compensation by refusing to waive his no-trade clause, a move to Chicago appears beneficial for all parties involved.

If this move becomes a straight waiver claim, with the White Sox being awarded Ramirez over Texas and Tampa Bay with a lesser record, then the South Siders will be on the hook for all $3.8 million still owed to Ramirez. That total represents more than the yearly salary for John Danks, Quentin or Thornton.

Even with Ramirez's current playing status not exactly known, whether he simply grew disenchanted as a bench player for the Dodgers or isn't quite the same force he used to be, there seems to be no doubt Ramirez can help any team -- especially for a playoff push during the season's final month.

"It's just another guy that people are like, 'Wow,'" said White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham. "Even if he's not playing great, people are still like, 'That's Manny Ramirez. I'm going to pitch around him.' He puts that fear in your lineup. We have him batting fifth, sixth or seventh, that's pretty good."

"I'm sure he'll help the White Sox," said Rangers third baseman Michael Young. "He's one of the best right-handed hitters of all-time. He can help someone."

"He's one of the best right-handed hitters out there, and I don't have a lot to say except whatever team he's on, he's going to help them," said White Sox outfielder Andruw Jones. "He's a big bat and he knows how to play the game."

Jones can speak about Ramirez as a teammate, being part of the 2008 Dodgers' roster when Ramirez arrived from Boston and hit an amazing .396 with 53 RBIs in 187 at-bats. With Ramirez's arrival, Jones is reduced to a spot-starter and a defensive replacement in the outfield.

Mark Kotsay will get some at-bats against right-handers, but his role reverts to a backup first baseman -- where he saved a run with a great defensive play on Sunday -- and a pinch-hitter. As for Mark Teahen, signed to a three-year, $14 million deal before the season started, he will remain the team's super-sub but will have less chances at designated hitter.

"The reason we [may] bring him in is maybe those guys don't do their jobs," said manager Ozzie Guillen, speaking hypothetically on Friday -- a time frame when the White Sox could not comment.

This team has gone through a great deal of ups and downs this season. The White Sox were nine games under and 9 1/2 out of first place on June 8, but they went on a 28-8 run to grab a 3 1/2-game AL Central lead on July 20. They've been down to the Twins by as much as five games, but still refuse to doubt their playoff chances for a moment with three head-to-head games left against Minnesota at home from Sept. 14-16.

"We have to do what we are capable of," Beckham said. "And what we are capable of is going to the playoffs."

Many believe that capability will receive a boost Monday or Tuesday when Manny arrives. As for the whole "Manny being Manny" routine, both Juan Pierre and Jim Thome have talked about the incredible work ethic shown by Ramirez away from the show he puts on for the media.

Don't think for a second that show will cause consternation for Guillen.

Guillen is the face of the franchise, the clubhouse leader. It's his way or no way -- not in an angry or adversarial manner, but with no gray area to be discussed. Over the weekend, Guillen told a story of how when Ken Griffey, Jr. arrived in 2008, he told Guillen that he hadn't played center field in a while. Guillen turned around and said center field was the position he had for him to play, and that spot is where Griffey primarily had to go if he wanted time.

Griffey ended up throwing out Michael Cuddyer at the plate, from center field, in the Blackout AL Central playoff victory over the Twins. Ramirez comes with a little heftier cost, but with 16 home games in the final 22 to be played, the White Sox hope the reward far outweighs the risk.

"When you're a White Sox player, you know what you have to deal with," Konerko said. "It's not going to change much if you're worried about bringing in another personality. We have enough to go around if you look at everybody around here.

"Manny can hit, and if he comes here, he'll hit. Wherever he is, he's going to hit. That's just what he does. But I wouldn't worry about the chemistry."

Mark Kotsay will get some at-bats against right-handers, but his role reverts to a backup first baseman -- where he saved a run with a great defensive play on Sunday -- and a pinch-hitter. As for Mark Teahen, signed to a three-year, $14 million deal before the season started, he will remain the team's super-sub but will have less chances at designated hitter.

"The reason we [may] bring him in is maybe those guys don't do their jobs," said manager Ozzie Guillen, speaking hypothetically on Friday -- a time frame when the White Sox could not comment.

"When you're a White Sox player, you know what you have to deal with," Konerko said. "It's not going to change much if you're worried about bringing in another personality. We have enough to go around if you look at everybody around here.

"Manny can hit, and if he comes here, he'll hit. Wherever he is, he's going to hit. That's just what he does. But I wouldn't worry about the chemistry."

Someone's going to end up using one of those quotes in their signatures against Guillen in the offseason, lol.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ....html?eref=sihp

Too little, too late? cnnsi.com (marchman)

In the aftermath of the loss, Torre said he was shocked by Ramirez's ejection, which took place with the Dodgers trailing, 8-2.

The way Torre later recounted the story, a part of him was startled by how quickly Ramirez was ejected. A part was thinking about whom he would send to hit for Ramirez. And a part was upset at Ramirez, figuring he must have said something vile to home plate umpire Gary Cederstrom to be tossed.

After Ramirez's replacement, Reed Johnson, grounded into an inning-ending double play, Torre said he went into the clubhouse to scold Ramirez. But Ramirez told him he never cursed at Cederstorm, an account Torre said the umpire later confirmed.

"I was very disappointed in the fact that [Cederstrom] threw him out because he said the pitch was outside and he was 'demonstrative' about it, quote, unquote," Torre said. "What does that mean?"

Torre said he apologized to Ramirez.

Ramirez had nothing to say on the matter.

Like almost every other time he was approached by a reporter this season, he shook his head and said, "No, gracias."

dylan hernandez/la times

I expect Manny to play hard and do some damage at the plate. With only 32 games left and the change of scenery, I wouldn't expect him to quit on the team. I'm not against this move at all, and I hope he helps the Sox take over the AL Central. If, however, he does shut down and act like a bum, many of us (myself included) will be embarrassed about sticking up for the move.

From a fan or media perspective, I'm not sure exactly why the fact Manny makes $4M over the remainder of the season is even in the conversation when evaluating the move? This expenditure has no impact on next season's payroll, no impact on acquiring additional help this season, and cost us nothing in terms of talent. The only person that should care about the size of Manny's remaining 30 day contract is Reinsdorf and the other investors. As fans or as media, you can only judge this move based on what Manny does for the White Sox chance of winning this division.....any move that replaces Mark Kotsay with Manny Ramirez has absolutely got to be looked at as an improvement.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
I'm excited. Manny is statistically one of the best hitters of my generation, so obviously it's going to be fun to watch. Hopefully he stays motivated since he "wants" to play in Chicago. And I'm also for the idea of signing him to a 1-2 year deal as a DH. It'd probably pay for itself in ticket sales. Either way, I think Kenny made a good move with this one.

This is exactly my feeling on it. All of this is spot on for me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
I'm not one to hate Barry Bonds, but I do think they are different, other than Bonds being a more of an "overall douche." I'm not sure what Manny's level of PED use was, but I'm fairly certain it does not approach the level of Bond's use. And that's not to judge Bonds or Manny, but to say they are the same, in terms of what they have done to ensure success on the baseball field, I think is incorrect.

Barry Bonds was an MVP when he weighed 185 lbs. I think a lot of people assume Manny just started with the PEDs when he was busted. I would be willing to bet he took them most, if not all of his career in Boston and maybe some in Cleveland. Manny is a huge douche. Did Bonds ever fly out to the OF and not even run to first, just walk back to the dugout? Manny did. Manny dicked his way out of Boston and now LA. Maybe it will work out for 30 days. I tend to doubt it, but to me the worst thing that can happen is Manny plays well, the Sox still lose and they ignore history and give Manny some money in the winter.

Even Ozzie said the other day Manny says hi to you one day and the next acts like he's never met you. He's a clown.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 07:00 AM)
From a fan or media perspective, I'm not sure exactly why the fact Manny makes $4M over the remainder of the season is even in the conversation when evaluating the move? This expenditure has no impact on next season's payroll, no impact on acquiring additional help this season, and cost us nothing in terms of talent. The only person that should care about the size of Manny's remaining 30 day contract is Reinsdorf and the other investors. As fans or as media, you can only judge this move based on what Manny does for the White Sox chance of winning this division.....any move that replaces Mark Kotsay with Manny Ramirez has absolutely got to be looked at as an improvement.

How do you know what financial impact it has? Its $4 million that could have been spent on something more useful, perhaps earlier in the season. Manny is 38 and injured. If he could lead a team from a 4.5 game deficit all by himself, you would think he would have been in the line up this past weekend.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
How do you know what financial impact it has? Its $4 million that could have been spent on something more useful, perhaps earlier in the season.

But that money wasn't used to acquire anyone so, again, it has no present value to the team, from a fan's perspective, outside of acquiring Manny. While interest on $4M would be great if we were investors, we're not. Debating his value to LA is fair game, though I think 2009's contributions in contrast to his 2010 efforts make it clear that he no longer gets along with Torre or someone else in that organization as opposed to him just losing his skills.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
How do you know what financial impact it has? Its $4 million that could have been spent on something more useful, perhaps earlier in the season. Manny is 38 and injured. If he could lead a team from a 4.5 game deficit all by himself, you would think he would have been in the line up this past weekend.

On the other hand both Thome and Juan Pierre complemented Manny on his behavior behind closed doors and in the clubhouse. Both said he's a true professional.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 04:00 AM)
Manny just adds to the old Cleveland 90s players we like to acquire.

If only Carlos Baerga was still playing, then KW can complete the 1997 Indians starting lineup. Everyone else has come to the Sox eventually. LOL.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 07:00 AM)

Well said my friend. Well said. Like that 4 mil really makes a difference to us.

Has anyone else noticed that this acquisition has gotten little attention? I'm sure if he was going to Boston or NY the press would be going nuts. Nothing would make me happier than having him come in and totally clean-up and help get the Sox to the post season.