White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
The Sox have lost 8 of their last 9 one run games. They have come back when down late. They are going to get a couple key guys (Thornton, Putz) back from the DL relatively soon. And there are 5 weeks left to play. This Sox team screams "one more player will help more than it appears". As long as he's healthy, I think he makes a significant impact.

Any stat that tries to simply value his run production as projected to wins isn't really useful here.

I wonder if all of the Manny haters would rather have Kotsay taking those at bats. I think it has been proven that Kotsay probably won't get the job done.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
I hate Manny. He's an idiot who disrespects the game in every way. I don't think the Sox will win the division with or without him, so I'm a little disappointed he's on the team I root for. That said, it's only 5 weeks, so I will root for him and hopefully a miracle will happen and the Sox will go 23-9 the rest of the way and that will be enough.

This is how I feel. Manny is boorish, a loser, a quitter, a primadonna...he pizzes on the game at every chance given. He's trash. My view is the Sox problems are now bullpen related and Ramirez will do little to help change the overall plight of the White Sox.

But like you, I'll hope for the unforeseen to happen.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
I wonder if all of the Manny haters would rather have Kotsay taking those at bats. I think it has been proven that Kotsay probably won't get the job done.

Well, I am actually somewhat of a Manny hater myself, and I hope he's not here next year. That said, I think he's definitely got the chance to be a big boost for the team this year, and I am willing to squelch my dislike of his antics for 5 weeks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
Well, I am actually somewhat of a Manny hater myself, and I hope he's not here next year. That said, I think he's definitely got the chance to be a big boost for the team this year, and I am willing to squelch my dislike of his antics for 5 weeks.

I feel the exact same way.

Here’s a little snapshot from David Pinto about just how big an effect a healthy Manny could have on this lineup. “Reports say Manny is flying to Cleveland to play for the White Sox tonight against his original team. So how much should the White Sox expect to improve from Manny’s presence? Here’s how the Lineup Analysis Tool rates the White Sox composite lineup. Chicago is under performing a bit. They should be scoring 4.86 runs per game and they are scoring 4.74 runs per game. I’m not surprised to see they have a poor stolen base percentage and grounded into a lot of double plays. To put Manny in the lineup, I inserted him third and moved the third place hitter stats to the sixth hole. That lineup generates 5.10 runs per game. I’ll knock off 1/10 of a run for poor base stealing and double plays, so Manny should add .25 runs per game. If they continue to allow 4.20 runs per game, they should play .586 ball the rest of the way for a 19-13 record. That’s good, but they likely would have gone 18-14 if they continued to score and allow runs at the same rate. Still, in a close race, one game can make a big difference. I like contenders trying to find wins any way possible.” http://baseballmusings.com/

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
This is how I feel. Manny is boorish, a loser, a quitter, a primadonna...he pizzes on the game at every chance given. He's trash. My view is the Sox problems are now bullpen related and Ramirez will do little to help change the overall plight of the White Sox.

But like you, I'll hope for the unforeseen to happen.

I'm failing to see evidence of Manny = loser.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
Here’s a little snapshot from David Pinto about just how big an effect a healthy Manny could have on this lineup. “Reports say Manny is flying to Cleveland to play for the White Sox tonight against his original team. So how much should the White Sox expect to improve from Manny’s presence? Here’s how the Lineup Analysis Tool rates the White Sox composite lineup. Chicago is under performing a bit. They should be scoring 4.86 runs per game and they are scoring 4.74 runs per game. I’m not surprised to see they have a poor stolen base percentage and grounded into a lot of double plays. To put Manny in the lineup, I inserted him third and moved the third place hitter stats to the sixth hole. That lineup generates 5.10 runs per game. I’ll knock off 1/10 of a run for poor base stealing and double plays, so Manny should add .25 runs per game. If they continue to allow 4.20 runs per game, they should play .586 ball the rest of the way for a 19-13 record. That’s good, but they likely would have gone 18-14 if they continued to score and allow runs at the same rate. Still, in a close race, one game can make a big difference. I like contenders trying to find wins any way possible.” http://baseballmusings.com/

Those stats are interesting, but as I said, I don't think they account for the push-over effect. That .25 runs a game means very different things to different teams, and those stats simply can't account for it.

I suppose you could look at individual run differential events (i.e. lost X games by one, X games by two, etc.) and try to extrapolate from there. But even then, you'd be missing some subtle side effects that would come from hit at bats, and his very presence in the lineup.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
Well he only has 2 World Series rings.

Plus he's tested positive for steroids and hgh about 50 times in the last few years, went on a drunken rampage in the clubhouse and ended the seasons of a few starters on his team and punched some 5 year olds in the stomach in LA.

Is he a goof? Certainly.

But loser? I don't know about all that.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
Plus he's tested positive for steroids and hgh about 50 times in the last few years, went on a drunken rampage in the clubhouse and ended the seasons of a few starters on his team and punched some 5 year olds in the stomach in LA.

Is he a goof? Certainly.

Hyperbole, much?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)

Is he a goof? Certainly.

Wait he hit a five year old? What is the story there?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)

I'm VERY much a Manny hater. However, just like I hated Albert Belle but welcomed him with open arms when he joined the Sox, I'll do the same with Manny. We can be very two-faced as sports fans. I HATED Dennis Rodman before he joined the Bulls but loved the guy when he was here and really learned to actually respect him. I don't think I could ever respect Manny but I could definately love his bat. At this point I'm totally undecided if I would want him around next year.

One case where I hated a guy and still hated him when he came to Chicago (although his stay was thankfully very brief) was John Starks.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

The best Manny story was when he ran over the trick-or-treaters or he beat the crap out of the thermostat....oh my these are classics.

Manny impacts every hitter in the lineup. This is the difference between he and Quentin and/or Rios. If he bats third, Beckham and Pierre get better pitches to hit as you do not want to walk them to potentially get to Manny. Manny is a hitter pure and simple. Similar in ways to Konerko is this year and Quentin was in 2008 except pitchers know this and it affects them more than a guy having a career year.

Manny is as clutch as they get and hte White Sox need this. Manny gets the big hits late as well as putting a game out of reach early.

Stats be damned if Manny wants to play in the bandbox for the month of September the Sox are much better off for it.