White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
As far as booing, I know my point is hypocritical, but I think Manny is a bad enough guy I could justify booing when he makes and out, just as I could justify booing Belle.

Why? Manny has a track record of being an ass THIS SEASON. The Dodgers can't get rid of him fast enough. If anybody in baseball deserves booing based on quitting on his team again, it is Manny.

Cheer him if he gets on base; boo his ass if he sucks.

How did he quit playing for the Dodgers? Torre wouldn't play him.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as booing, I know my point is hypocritical, but I think Manny is a bad enough guy I could justify booing when he makes and out, just as I could justify booing Belle.

Why? Manny has a track record of being an ass THIS SEASON. The Dodgers can't get rid of him fast enough. If anybody in baseball deserves booing based on quitting on his team again, it is Manny.

This is REALLY getting overblown. A big-time divorce is what caused the Dodgers to jettison their aging superstar, not his attitude. He's a 38 year old who needs to be a DH. There's an interested team willing to save that franchise 4 million bucks when they sure could use it.

ESPN has a nice BS article up right now about Manny being jettisoned from two cities, but when he moved from Boston it was a big deal! It was HUGE! Go Dodgers!!

If it's the Yanks picking him up, we're hearing how f***ing fantastic he is and how the Dodgers were out of it and needed the money so they let him go. Nothing more.

"The dodgers can't get rid of him fast enough".....yet wouldn't trade him to us on the deadline? Does not compute.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
This is REALLY getting overblown. A big-time divorce is what caused the Dodgers to jettison their aging superstar, not his attitude. He's a 38 year old who needs to be a DH. There's an interested team willing to save that franchise 4 million bucks when they sure could use it.

ESPN has a nice BS article up right now about Manny being jettisoned from two cities, but when he moved from Boston it was a big deal! It was HUGE! Go Dodgers!!

If it's the Yanks picking him up, we're hearing how f***ing fantastic he is and how the Dodgers were out of it and needed the money so they let him go. Nothing more.

They had 4 starting OF, no DH position and their leadoff hitter (since Furcal is down) happened to be one of those outfielders. Why pay Manny $4M to be a platoon/part time player? There were many reasons why they dumped him, I think this was a big one.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
They had 4 starting OF, no DH position and their leadoff hitter (since Furcal is down) happened to be one of those outfielders. Why pay Manny $4M to be a platoon/part time player? There were many reasons why they dumped him, I think this was a big one.

Who cares about the facts? He quit on the Dodgers and allegedly crapped on a hotel bed several years ago.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
dylanohernandez Can the #WhiteSox get #Manny to do what Torre couldn't and convince him to cut his hair? Williams thinks so.

6 minutes ago

I can't see Manny cutting the dreads (I don't mean cutting them shorter, I mean cutting them OFF) playing for one month in our org.. unless JR is giving the "you can't suit up for our org. unless their cut" speech.

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Let's carry this to its logical extreme, just as a mind exercise. I am absolutely not minimizing the horrors of the soon-to-be mentioned individual to the completely-trivial-in-comparison level of cheating or quitting in a sport-as-entertainment. I am absolutely not raising the cheating/quitting transgressions to any higher level than to use them as evidence of, or lack thereof, a certain moral fiber that I would like to see in the sporting events I choose to watch as entertainment.

If Hitler could hit the ball like Babe Ruth, would you be in favor of him being the DH for the White Sox?

For those who say they'd not, yet are in favor of Manny doing so, where is the line of differentiation?

It's somewhere between being a generally self-centered asshole and murdering 6 million people and starting wars of conquest and being one of the most reviled figures in human history. Not sure where exactly, though.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)

plus the entire front office is on a train wreck express. A friend who has season tix and is all chummy with McCourt says the entire mood at chavez ravine is one of doom.

What is the lineup going to be with Manny in it?

I would hope for:

Pierre

Rios

Manny

Konerko

Quentin

Pierzynski

Alexei

Vizquel/Viciedo/Teahan

Beckham

In this lineup, Quentin could be as important anyone, because he's going to be up with more guys on base.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
Where is the evidence of Manny quitting? Seriously. His numbers show nothing like it.

It's the same myth with Shoeless Joe Jackson being involved in throwing the World Series despite hitting like .350.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

I would hope for:

Pierre

Rios

Manny

Konerko

Quentin

Pierzynski

Alexei

Vizquel/Viciedo/Teahan

Beckham

In this lineup, Quentin could be as important anyone, because he's going to be up with more guys on base.

I dunno about Rios batting second.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)

In the post you quoted I brought up the fact that he "needs to be a DH". The man is getting old, but why are we acting like he's being banished from LA for acting up? That's not the case.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)

I would hope for:

Pierre

Rios

Manny

Konerko

Quentin

Pierzynski

Alexei

Vizquel/Viciedo/Teahan

Beckham

I think Vizquel stays at #2 and Rios drops down to 5 or 6.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
It's somewhere between being a generally self-centered asshole and murdering 6 million people and starting wars of conquest and being one of the most reviled figures in human history. Not sure where exactly, though.

This whole Manny v. Hitler commentary is ridiculous. They didn't even have fertility drugs back in Hitler's day. On the other hand, I have heard that the Fuehrer once left a deuce to ripen in the middle of his bunker.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
This whole Manny v. Hitler commentary is ridiculous. They didn't even have fertility drugs back in Hitler's day. On the other hand, I have heard that the Fuehrer once left a deuce to ripen in the middle of his bunker.

:notworthy

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
cst_sox

Sox will pay Manny until 2013 - KW - "If we're all wearing rings from [2010], there won't be much complaining.''

I wonder how much salary were going to dump in the off-season. Playing more of the kids with our 50+ million dollar rotation?