White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
At least hopefully...Thome didn't have the "20 years of juicing" issue to deal with.

Ortiz runs them. A-Rod runs them and plays defense just fine. Tejada played a million games in a row after juicing. Bonds played defense and ran the bases all the time.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
A little more from Carroll and the link:

The Cost: The White Sox were one of the few teams to be well below the league average in 2009, losing only $3 million due to injury. Chicago has consistently been one of the more successful teams in the dollars lost category; losing $19.7 million over the last three years. The vast majority of last year's injury cost came from the 48 days that Chicago's prized 2009 additon, Jake Peavy, was on the disabled list. Peavy's 2009 count for the Sox was $2.1 million. Chicago brought in the huge contracts of Peavy and Alex Rios last season, and it's not too hard to think that the training staff's strong work the last few years allowed them to absorb the extra $116 million. The Sox saved nearly $11 million dollars compared to the rest of the league, and they spent the money this offseason by giving Mark Teahen and J.J. Putz a combined $17 million. Whether that money has been well-spent can be debated, but the training staff sure has allowed them to be able to spend the money.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=10137

great stuff, Herm and his guys do an awesome job, even though there's no real solid reports of how bad they were, we might have to give them credit for Konerko's hip and to this point, Gavin's as well.

11:35pm: The Dodgers asked the White Sox for Dayan Viciedo in exchange for Ramirez, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com on Twitter. The Manny market is heating up, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown on Twitter. The Rays, White Sox and a mystery team are all involved. The Dodgers are considering dealing Manny, according to Brown, who explains that the Dodgers are not shopping him. The left fielder is said to be open to a trade.

A mystery team involved? LOL. Boras is a piece of work isn't he?

Funny that the only time the words "mystery team" are heard in deals is with his clients.

I'd say wait it out. He won't get moved before the deadline. And the Dodgers will move him for money in a waiver deal later.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Just like I'd rather have Hudson pitching than Jackson, I'd rather have Viciedo get the at bats than Manny.

Of course, what's actually going to happen in either case is that whoever you get will platoon with Kotsay. And Hell, with Manny, we might not have a choice.

I love Viciedo.

But think of the Postseason...you want Viciedo up there against some of these elite pitchers, or Manny Ramirez?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
Can't say I've heard of it, no.

there's a little longer title for it, but if you google that with "steroids" it should be easy to find, it's a documentary about steroids and it's very neutral, I think you would find it interesting.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
there's a little longer title for it, but if you google that with "steroids" it should be easy to find, it's a documentary about steroids and it's very neutral, I think you would find it interesting.

*searches Netflix streaming*

link

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
Ortiz runs them. A-Rod runs them and plays defense just fine. Tejada played a million games in a row after juicing. Bonds played defense and ran the bases all the time.

Ortiz is 5 years younger than Manny and has already struggled with plenty of injuries. ARod has been hit by injuries the last 2 seasons, is more than 5 years younger than Manny, and is having his lowest power season of his career so far. Bonds barely played defense his last 4 years, and his knees were on the verge of giving out every single time. He was regularly on the DL. He was also 5+ years older than Manny.

I understand Ram got caught doing steroids and all but you folks are underestimatng Manny. He is with out a doubt a top 5 hitter in all of baseball in this decade. He also hits in agruably the worst division for hitters all those parks but coors are pitchers paradise. His home ball park is death valley at night. He would absolutely RAKE in the Cell and relish the opportunity to focus on hitting only and play for a new contract. This would be the better than Dunn productin wise but Dunn offers better balance.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
I love Viciedo.

But think of the Postseason...you want Viciedo up there against some of these elite pitchers, or Manny Ramirez?

For those at bats, I'd grant I'd rather have Manny up there for the production, if you could 100% assure me he'd be healthy and there'd be no other issues beforehand.

OTOH, Viciedo already has an .831 OPS and he's just scratching the surface of what he's capable of. The difference isn't as dramatic as it could be.

And I flat out don't want that crap in the locker room.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
Even if he heals completely from this calf injury, he's in that position where straining a muscle for him might be as regular of a behavior as getting out of bed. He could probably strain a muscle while doing that.

If thats the case, then its probably best to stay away. At his age, with his steroid history, I doubt his muscles are in the best shape. Especially if he got hurt after one game off the DL last month.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
#mlb #dodgers #white sox The White Sox have yet to even hear a counter-offer from Dodgers on Manny, let alone engage in talks. WS moving on.

Looks like we're not getting him.

i'm like a gun slinger in the west - one who does not however, want to kill people or advocate death of GM's whose name end with "O"

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
#mlb #dodgers #white sox The White Sox have yet to even hear a counter-offer from Dodgers on Manny, let alone engage in talks. WS moving on.

Looks like we're not getting him.

The Dodgers weren't even entertaining offers for Manny until last night when we called them.

It's going to take them some time to weigh their options.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
The Dodgers weren't even entertaining offers for Manny until last night when we called them.

It's going to take them some time to weigh their options.

Well, they've got 90 minutes to decide their finances.