White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 06:14 AM)
Yeah, Manny has a full NTC.

depending on whether you believe certain sources, he basically said he'll only play for the White Sox, so that's a start, but are there any options or anything that he might want picked up or bought out at a higher rate or is it just this year and the contract is done?

They had Steve Philips on the score this morning, he said players with NTC cant be claimed on the waiver wire, they can only be traded if they pass through unclaimed. If a team claims a player with a NTC on the waiver wire, they are immediately pulled off as a block. So if this is the case, obviously the twins would put a claim on Manny to block us from getting him

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
They had Steve Philips on the score this morning, he said players with NTC cant be claimed on the waiver wire, they can only be traded if they pass through unclaimed. If a team claims a player with a NTC on the waiver wire, they are immediately pulled off as a block. So if this is the case, obviously the twins would put a claim on Manny to block us from getting him

Alex Rios had full no trade protection in 2009. Phillips continues to show why he is an ex-GM.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Alex Rios had full no trade protection in 2009. Phillips continues to show why he is an ex-GM.

He said the rule had recently changed, and also I dont think Rios had any NTC let alone a full one

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
He said the rule had recently changed, and also I dont think Rios had any NTC let alone a full one

I think he almost certainly had some level of NTC protection, it was asked about last year. His contract has a partial NTC the next few years and a full NTC in its final years.

Manny Ramirez-OF - Dodgers Aug. 6 - 7:49 pm et

Manny Ramirez will get an MRI on his ailing calf Friday.

Manny was given a day off from baseball activities Thursday because he was still experiencing soreness in the calf. The Dodgers will determine the next best course of action based on the results of the MRI, and perhaps then we can get a better idea on a timetable for the outfielder's return.

Manny Ramirez-OF- Dodgers Aug. 7 - 10:33 am et

An MRI on Manny Ramirez's injured calf was postponed because the outfielder came down with a case of claustrophobia.

Just when you thought you'd heard it all, we have yet another case of Manny being Manny. In reality the postponement isn't really a big deal, as he continues to receive treatment and should get the MRI soon, but it does seem to speak of Manny's lack of eagerness to get back to the Dodgers lineup. There's currently no timetable for his return

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
sounds like Manny is just trying to force the Dodgers hand as soon as possible

That's how it's sounding to me. If they take him off the DL and waive him even if he's "not" feeling better, they'll pretty much HAVE to trade him.

I worked all day so sorry to ask, is Phillips correct with what he said, anyone 100% certain? That doesn't seem right it would kind of defeat the purpose of teams being able to dump large backloaded vetran contracts, most of which have NTC. I could be wrong but it seems Phillips is wrong about this. I'd appreciate if someone knew the answer and could clarify for us.

It seems fishy to me this thing with ManRam and the dodgers too. Although he really could be messed up both physically and mentally. I think a change of sceanary and the DH postion may suit him well. I would love the potential his bat could bring to our lineup.

I do worry about two things though;

- One ,that he most likely being a juicer is skeptical about his abilities right now hence all the injuries (strainged calf , I believe a hammy, etc. All things that affect the player and are hard for MRIs and trainers to find. I also think it is magnified by his ballpark. His power numbers are down and the guy is a HR hitter that has to be discouraging.It's hard as helll to hit a HR and damn near impossible to hit them at night in LA (plus petco, AT&T, AZ). I think the Cell benefits him in this case.

-Two, he could be a cancer to a team that fought their way back from "death" (per Coop) and now are a close knit group, as you see in the dugout and after games. Manny is notroious for poutting. If he goes cold, or Oz doesn't play him everyday, or basically he is unhappy he can make work(baseball) very hard. He was run out of Bos by teamates of his for years and now seemingly done the same in Mannywood, sorry Hollywood. Everyone says Oz can handle him, maybe (how did he and the clubhouse handle Swishs ego). But those two might butt heads and egos. If Torre can't manage him IMO no one can, that guy has managed every superstar and their egos with the yanks.

With that said I would still take him if we were somehow able to claim him. I still think LA sees themselves in it and will hold on to him or we are blocked for another disappointing 31st deadline. I do however think his bat equates to a dangerous dangerous team (if Ejax is EJax not Edwin Jackson).

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

Vizquel stated publicly that they need another bat. I'm not buying any of this chemistry crap. And Manny is not going to pout if they are winning. He's an idiot but he's not cancerous to winning teams. If he's losing then all bets are off. Also the Sox are a perfect fit because he is the biggest star. Say what you want about him but he wants to be at the plate with the game on the line.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Vizquel stated publicly that they need another bat. I'm not buying any of this chemistry crap. And Manny is not going to pout if they are winning. He's an idiot but he's not cancerous to winning teams. If he's losing then all bets are off. Also the Sox are a perfect fit because he is the biggest star. Say what you want about him but he wants to be at the plate with the game on the line.

KW agrees they need another bat too and has been trying to land one, I don't think any offensive performance of late has swayed him from that

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
I think this "clubhouse chemistry" thing is so overrated. These are grown ass men, not little girl scouts. You know what boosts clubhouse chemistry? WINNING! You could have a team full of Jim Thomes and Paul Konerkos, and if they're losing, the chemistry wouldn't be the greatest.

Exactly. This team was 9.5 games out with the same cast of characters. No one was talking about the great chemistry then. They have proven they can be great with this roster and they can be awful with this roster. Hopefully, KW can get another bat, but it certainly doesn't look good. They just lost 3 of 4 to Baltimore and still are in first place, so not all is bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)
Exactly. This team was 9.5 games out with the same cast of characters. No one was talking about the great chemistry then. They have proven they can be great with this roster and they can be awful with this roster. Hopefully, KW can get another bat, but it certainly doesn't look good. They just lost 3 of 4 to Baltimore and still are in first place, so not all is bad.

Tied for first*

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)

This.

That must be our strategy! :)

Honestly, I feel like we absolutely must get Manny now.

This. I see a recurring pattern where the bats just disappear and this is really the same rehashed theme we have seen from 2009. I am not sure how many close games have been lost due to not capatilizing on RISP but it has surely affect Floyd's, Buerhle's, Danks', and Garcia's excellent outings on many occasions (Apart from blown saves). EJax last night was the victim of another anemic and pi** poor offensive showing. If we could get manny for the stretch run I would really like to see the Sox take a chance. But with Ozzie's bone headed line up decisions who knows how much playing time he would get, let alone the chemistry issues he might bring to the clubhouse. I say it is worth a gamble if it is possible.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 01:19 AM)
This. I see a recurring pattern where the bats just disappear and this is really the same rehashed theme we have seen from 2009. I am not sure how many close games have been lost due to not capatilizing on RISP but it has surely affect Floyd's, Buerhle's, Danks', and Garcia's excellent outings on many occasions (Apart from blown saves). EJax last night was the victim of another anemic and pi** poor offensive showing. If we could get manny for the stretch run I would really like to see the Sox take a chance. But with Ozzie's bone headed line up decisions who knows how much playing time he would get, let alone the chemistry issues he might bring to the clubhouse. I say it is worth a gamble if it is possible.

Not a chance in hell Kotsay would be playing over Manny f***ing Ramirez

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
I'm torn. I really can't stand Manny, he's one of those few players I wish nothing but failure on. But damn does this team need a real bat.

Probably doesn't matter, because he wouldn't likely fall all the way to the Sox via waivers.

many feel he will clear waivers because of his contract