White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it doesn't actually require each team to make a decision for the next team in line to make a decision? Everyone just makes their claim at any point during that 48 hours, and then the team w/ the worse record that put in a claim gets first pick (starting with their own league). This makes much more sense. I thought it was like, the Sox, for instance, couldn't make the decision to pass or claim until all the other teams with worse records made their decisions first.

2nd question. Do the standings freeze the day the instant the player is put on waivers, or do the standings reflect after the 48 hours is over? Like, if the Sox AND Minnesota put in a claim tomorrow afternoon after Manny is placed on waivers, while the Sox are in second place, do the records get locked in at that time, or do they wait until 48 hour period ends, and say maybe the Sox have taken over the division again?

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
So it doesn't actually require each team to make a decision for the next team in line to make a decision? Everyone just makes their claim at any point during that 48 hours, and then the team w/ the worse record that put in a claim gets first pick (starting with their own league). This makes much more sense. I thought it was like, the Sox, for instance, couldn't make the decision to pass or claim until all the other teams with worse records made their decisions first.

2nd question. Do the standings freeze the day the instant the player is put on waivers, or do the standings reflect after the 48 hours is over? Like, if the Sox AND Minnesota put in a claim tomorrow afternoon after Manny is placed on waivers, while the Sox are in second place, do the records get locked in at that time, or do they wait until 48 hour period ends, and say maybe the Sox have taken over the division again?

There is zero chance of Minnesota claiming Manny

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 12:39 AM)
Ok, but do you know the answer to my question?

It can't be variable and change within the 48 hours, so it has to be when the player is actually put on waivers. That is the order of precedence that teams can acquire them. So the start of the 48 hour time period.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 03:18 AM)
It can't be variable and change within the 48 hours, so it has to be when the player is actually put on waivers. That is the order of precedence that teams can acquire them. So the start of the 48 hour time period.

So as of August 10th, the Sox could have claimed Manny because they were in 2nd place at the time they claimed him and Minny could NOT block the deal correct? Obviously this is all a hypothetical, I am just trying to get a better understanding ot the waiver rules like everyone else.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
So as of August 10th, the Sox could have claimed Manny because they were in 2nd place at the time they claimed him and Minny could NOT block the deal correct? Obviously this is all a hypothetical, I am just trying to get a better understanding ot the waiver rules like everyone else.

I don't think it would have mattered, because I believe that guys on the DL can't be put on waivers, and Manny was still on the DL as of August 10th.

Peter Gammons said the Red Sox may put a claim on Manny in order to block him from going to the Rays. The Red Sox currently have a better record than the White Sox, so the White Sox would have an opportunity to claim Manny first. The problem, however, is that supposedly the White Sox' plan was to have Manny clear waivers, and then try to work out a deal. My understanding is that this would prevent a Rios-like situation where the Sox would be handed the entire contract without LAD picking up anything. I'm not so sure the White Sox would be comfortable with that.

I wonder if it would help if Manny came out and just said that he is only interested in playing for the White Sox, and any other team that tries to claim him is just wasting their time because he won't be happy playing for them? Probably not, but I would think twice about claiming a guy if he said that. I'd be afraid that I would get stuck with the contract of a malcontent.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
Peter Gammons said the Red Sox may put a claim on Manny in order to block him from going to the Rays. The Red Sox currently have a better record than the White Sox, so the White Sox would have an opportunity to claim Manny first. The problem, however, is that supposedly the White Sox' plan was to have Manny clear waivers, and then try to work out a deal. My understanding is that this would prevent a Rios-like situation where the Sox would be handed the entire contract without LAD picking up anything. I'm not so sure the White Sox would be comfortable with that

Manny's a free agent after this season, so you would only be stuck with his contract for 2010, which probably has somewhere between $4-7 million on it.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
I wonder if it would help if Manny came out and just said that he is only interested in playing for the White Sox, and any other team that tries to claim him is just wasting their time because he won't be happy playing for them? Probably not, but I would think twice about claiming a guy if he said that. I'd be afraid that I would get stuck with the contract of a malcontent.

If Manny could block a waiver claim with his NTC (I still don't know what the rules are) then any other team that he didn't want to play for could claim him and block him that wya.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
If Manny could block a waiver claim with his NTC (I still don't know what the rules are) then any other team that he didn't want to play for could claim him and block him that wya.

As far as I understand, Manny can block a trade to any team, however, that does not prevent any team from claiming him. It just means that the Dodgers cannot trade Manny to any team that he does not wish to go.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
As far as I understand, Manny can block a trade to any team, however, that does not prevent any team from claiming him. It just means that the Dodgers cannot trade Manny to any team that he does not wish to go.

I would think that if a team claimed him, the Dodgers could also just say "go ahead and take him", like the Blue Jays did with Rios. Then his NTC would not help him, cause hes not being traded, he's being claimed off waivers. I could be wrong though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
I would think that if a team claimed him, the Dodgers could also just say "go ahead and take him", like the Blue Jays did with Rios. Then his NTC would not help him, cause hes not being traded, he's being claimed off waivers. I could be wrong though.

No, I'm pretty sure that is still technically a trade. And if it is not, for purposes of his NTC, I would think that exception was written into his contract. I cannot imagine an agent being stupid enough to bargain for an NTC but not cover that scenario as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
A NTC can block a waiver claim too. Either the Sox are going to have to claim Manny, or he'll have to clear, and from the sounds of it, even with right around $5-6 mill left on his contract, he is probably not going to clear.

From what I understand Manny does not have a typical contract. The Dodgers structured that deal to pay Manny deferred money over the next 2-3 years. With these terms, I find it highly unlikely that anyone would claim him. He would just pass through and then go to whoever works out a deal with Los Angeles. Again, I could be wrong here but I was always under the assumption that because of the deferred money, he'd clear.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
From what I understand Manny does not have a typical contract. The Dodgers structured that deal to pay Manny deferred money over the next 2-3 years. With these terms, I find it highly unlikely that anyone would claim him. He would just pass through and then go to whoever works out a deal with Los Angeles. Again, I could be wrong here but I was always under the assumption that because of the deferred money, he'd clear.

If it was stated in the contract that the money was to already be set aside, the new team wouldn't have to pay any of the deferred money. From the sounds of the reports on his contract, that should be the case here. Reports have been that he is only owed his six million dollars or so for this season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
Manny's a free agent after this season, so you would only be stuck with his contract for 2010, which probably has somewhere between $4-7 million on it.

that is alot of money for a month and a half of baseball.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
True, but for a team with money it would be way worth it if he could do anything close to what he did for LA in 2008.

He'd probably bring in an additional $1-2M in revenue....and if we as able to get us to the post season it could be a lot more...

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
He'd probably bring in an additional $1-2M in revenue....and if we as able to get us to the post season it could be a lot more...

Left fielder Manny Ramirez would be risky for a team to claim; the Dodgers likely would let him go, assuming that Ramirez was willing to waive his no-trade clause. The claiming club then would assume the pro-rated portion of his $20 million salary, which on Aug. 31 still would be more then $3 million.

The deferrals in Ramirez's contract would make no difference in the amount his new club would pay; only the timetable might be affected. Ramirez’s contract stipulates a $5 million salary this season and deferred payments without interest of $3.33 million each on June 30, 2011 and ’12 and $8.33 million on June 30, 2013.

If Ramirez cleared waivers, he would be eligible to be traded to any team -- and he would be wise to waive his no-trade clause for an American League club that would allow him to serve as a DH and build his value for free agency this off-season.

Ramirez, recovering from a right calf strain, could begin a rehabilitation assignment this week. The Dodgers cannot place him on waivers until after they activate him from the disabled list.

— Ken Rosenthal

So is it now safe to say that at this point it is going to be Manny or nothing? Is he the only one on the radar? I think we've missed the boat on Luke Scott and Adam LaRoche. Who else is there? Lyle Overbay? No thanks. I'd rather stick with Teahen.

Edited by Chet Kincaid