White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
A team had claimed Luke Scott off waivers but was pulled back by the Orioles. Trying to see if my guy knows anything about who claimed him.

That's hardly surprising, wouldn't be surprised at all if Seattle put in a claim. There's next to no risk in claiming a guy like Scott.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
Left fielder Manny Ramirez would be risky for a team to claim; the Dodgers likely would let him go, assuming that Ramirez was willing to waive his no-trade clause. The claiming club then would assume the pro-rated portion of his $20 million salary, which on Aug. 31 still would be more then $3 million.

The deferrals in Ramirez's contract would make no difference in the amount his new club would pay; only the timetable might be affected. Ramirez’s contract stipulates a $5 million salary this season and deferred payments without interest of $3.33 million each on June 30, 2011 and ’12 and $8.33 million on June 30, 2013.

If Ramirez cleared waivers, he would be eligible to be traded to any team -- and he would be wise to waive his no-trade clause for an American League club that would allow him to serve as a DH and build his value for free agency this off-season.

Ramirez, recovering from a right calf strain, could begin a rehabilitation assignment this week. The Dodgers cannot place him on waivers until after they activate him from the disabled list.

— Ken Rosenthal

If Manny wants to come here and boost his free agent value- i'll be all for it :headbang

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
A team had claimed Luke Scott off waivers but was pulled back by the Orioles. Trying to see if my guy knows anything about who claimed him.

Ask your guy why nearly everyone is getting claimed this year?

I thought no one was going to be claimed because of the economy and the incredibly desperate declines in attendance...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
Ask your guy why nearly everyone is getting claimed this year?

I thought no one was going to be claimed because of the economy and the incredibly desperate declines in attendance...

It was an AL team that claimed Luke Scott but they NL teams didn't get the name of the team that claimed him.

It's only the big market teams doing to blocking and not the small market bottom feeders according to my source with the Phils.

Small market teams are crying poor.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
It was an AL team that claimed Luke Scott but they NL teams didn't get the name of the team that claimed him.

It's only the big market teams doing to blocking and not the small market bottom feeders according to my source with the Phils.

I know for a fact that some small market teams have claimed some guys you would not expect them to have claimed...

There is more money out there than you think.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
I know for a fact that some small market teams have claimed some guys you would not expect them to have claimed...

The White Sox spend every dime they have. They found extra money in the drop ceiling of Uncle Jerry's office last season to bring in Peavy and Rios. The thing is, with guys like Scott, its not big money being moved. I didn't think any team would claim Manny, but now I believe the Red Sox will. They have nothing to lose. Manny won't go back there and it prevents their competition from acquiring him.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)

I want hear some teams and names.

Orioles Will Not Trade Wigginton Or Scott

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 17 at 8:01pm CST]

Ty Wigginton and Luke Scott will not be traded this season. Both players were claimed when the Orioles placed them on waivers earlier this month, according to Dan Connolly and Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. The Orioles pulled Wigginton and Scott back, so a trade is no longer possible. Technically, the Orioles could re-expose the players to waivers, but they would no longer have the option of pulling them back.

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail could not confirm which players have been claimed, but he told the Sun that it’s “highly unlikely” that the Orioles make any trades in August. The Braves and Cardinals, two teams that appear to be monitoring the market for infielders, can cross Wigginton off of their respective lists.

Wigginton hits free agency this winter, but the Orioles have ample time to consider offers for Scott, who has 22 home runs and a .932 OPS. The 32-year-old is under team control through the 2012 season.

QUOTE (RudyLawRules @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
Via Twitter:

Knowing Kenny he'll still go after him even if we get swept by the Twins which would be an awful decision. Seeing that he would do that, which team with a worse record in our league would block him?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
Knowing Kenny he'll still go after him even if we get swept by the Twins which would be an awful decision. Seeing that he would do that, which team with a worse record in our league would block him?

I still think I'd claim him if I were the Giants. Pick your OF: Manny Ramirez or Jose Guillen.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
I'm going to guess no.

The answer depends on what is believed behind the scenes. There are enough NL teams that could seriously use his bat that someone ought to claim him...unless they think that the money is severely toxic in some way. When teams are grabbing Jose Guillen, they're clearly not worried about clubhouse issues as much as a bat in the lineup. But then again, we have no idea what all the details on his contract are...and we have no idea what he'd do regarding attempting to use a NTC to block a waiver claim.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:58 AM)
I still think I'd claim him if I were the Giants. Pick your OF: Manny Ramirez or Jose Guillen.

In that case, it would be pick who plays RF: Pat Burrell or Manny Ramirez. Jose Guillen has atleast played RF in his career. I have my doubts about the Giants interest.

I would say there is a pretty good chance he clears. There are a few teams I could see having interest in claiming him - Cincinnati, Atlanta, San Francisco if they don't care about defense, and maybe San Diego (but their team is predicated on pitching and defense to the extreme, so I don't know that they'd want to mess up their defensive team by acquiring Manny), but other than that, I don't see many others who would have interest. In the AL, there are virtually no teams who have a claim before the Sox who I could see having interest. LAA, Detroit, and Toronto are all well out of the race and there's no reason for a team who is worse than that to be claiming him.

I would say it's very possible Manny still ends up on the Sox. I'm still not going to get my hopes up though.

I think Kenny is targeting Manny and he's gonna try and get him soon:

Per mlb.com:

If Manny does get by all NL clubs on waivers, the American League clubs who could potentially benefit this summer from Ramirez with reasonable shots at the playoffs probably include -- in order of claim priority as of today -- Chicago, Texas, Boston, Minnesota, New York, and Tampa Bay.

If multiple AL clubs were to place claims, the one with the worst win-loss record would have the prevailing claim. Here's where it can be a little tricky: The standings are viewed for the purposes of claim priority as of the time the claim window closes, which is two days after the player is placed on waivers, not when the window opens. In other words, Los Angeles wouldn't necessarily be able to time the waiver request to steer Ramirez to the team it wants to deal with.

Who will want Ramirez?

If Ramirez does go unclaimed in the National League, the White Sox may very well make the prevailing claim. Recall that Chicago reportedly made a run at Ramirez on July 31 (after failing to get Washington to part with Adam Dunn) but got nowhere with its demand not only that it wouldn't give up any player of consequence but also that Los Angeles would have to cover all but $1 million of Ramirez's remaining salary.

Ramirez earns $20 million in 2010, the final year of a two-year, $45 million contract he signed in March 2009. Of the $20 million owed for 2010, only $5 million is actually payable this year, with the remaining $15 million deferred without interest ($3.33 million due in June 2011; $3.33 million due in June 2012; and $8.33 million due in June 2013). Deferred compensation would be prorated based on when the dollars are earned (not when payable), and so any team picking Ramirez up for what amounts to the final fifth of the season would be obligated to him for about $1 million over the remainder of the season, and about $3 million more spread out over the next three seasons (with the Dodgers on the hook for the rest of the deferred portion). But in the event of a trade, those allocations could be negotiable.

The point of the dollars discussion is that the money shouldn't be a major impediment. So if Chicago decided not to put in a claim, then Texas, Boston (surely only to block), Minnesota, New York, and Tampa Bay might find reasons not to do so themselves, but probably not fiscal ones. And again: If Ramirez were to go fully unclaimed, Los Angeles would be free to discuss a trade with any club.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
I think Kenny is targeting Manny and he's gonna try and get him soon:

Per mlb.com:

If Manny does get by all NL clubs on waivers, the American League clubs who could potentially benefit this summer from Ramirez with reasonable shots at the playoffs probably include -- in order of claim priority as of today -- Chicago, Texas, Boston, Minnesota, New York, and Tampa Bay.

If multiple AL clubs were to place claims, the one with the worst win-loss record would have the prevailing claim. Here's where it can be a little tricky: The standings are viewed for the purposes of claim priority as of the time the claim window closes, which is two days after the player is placed on waivers, not when the window opens. In other words, Los Angeles wouldn't necessarily be able to time the waiver request to steer Ramirez to the team it wants to deal with.

Who will want Ramirez?

If Ramirez does go unclaimed in the National League, the White Sox may very well make the prevailing claim. Recall that Chicago reportedly made a run at Ramirez on July 31 (after failing to get Washington to part with Adam Dunn) but got nowhere with its demand not only that it wouldn't give up any player of consequence but also that Los Angeles would have to cover all but $1 million of Ramirez's remaining salary.

Ramirez earns $20 million in 2010, the final year of a two-year, $45 million contract he signed in March 2009. Of the $20 million owed for 2010, only $5 million is actually payable this year, with the remaining $15 million deferred without interest ($3.33 million due in June 2011; $3.33 million due in June 2012; and $8.33 million due in June 2013). Deferred compensation would be prorated based on when the dollars are earned (not when payable), and so any team picking Ramirez up for what amounts to the final fifth of the season would be obligated to him for about $1 million over the remainder of the season, and about $3 million more spread out over the next three seasons (with the Dodgers on the hook for the rest of the deferred portion). But in the event of a trade, those allocations could be negotiable.

The point of the dollars discussion is that the money shouldn't be a major impediment. So if Chicago decided not to put in a claim, then Texas, Boston (surely only to block), Minnesota, New York, and Tampa Bay might find reasons not to do so themselves, but probably not fiscal ones. And again: If Ramirez were to go fully unclaimed, Los Angeles would be free to discuss a trade with any club.

$4M? That's less than I thought it would be.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
$4M? That's less than I thought it would be.

It's been about 2/3 of a month since the first deadline. There were about 2 months left in the season and we were quoted $6 million repeatedly at the time. That means 4/6 (or 2/3) are still remaining and 1/3 of the remaining time has elapsed. Thus, there is $4 million remaining because $2 million was paid out over the last 20 days.