White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
forget manny, go get Abreu

36 year old, .791 OPS this year, decreasing about .0.25 points per year for the last couple, owed another $10 million next year? I think we can do better than a .775ish OPS from a 37 year old with $10 million.

(Oh, and i didn't note...a very Ozzie Guillen-team like 16/25 on stolen bases this season).

Via Cowley Twitter:

One problem Oz sees with Manny? "I want to see how Reinsdorf handles his hair." The Chairman has a strict hair requirement was his players.

24 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter .

Oz was asked if he would want Manny - "I don't know. But I will have to say yes because Kenny will get him anyway."

25 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
I gotta hope having this leak early before LA actually puts him on waivers that some other teams will attempt to block the Sox

Part of being the team in the AL with the worst record that is still legitimately in the race is that there's no other team that can grab him in the AL before us and think that it'll vault them to a division. The Tigers, for example, would basically be spending $4 million out of spite. That typically doesn't happen in MLB.

An NL team or two might claim him because they legitimately want a bat for the stretch run. That's your real risk.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
I want to be the first to call bulls***. When the hell does Kenny's stuff go public to this extent? Either the Sox are trying to force someone to claim him ahead of them, or Kenny is trying to hide who he is really after. This is not like the KW administration at all.

I think he is after Manny and Manny wants to be here. Kenny just said character plays less of a role when there is 30 games left in the season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
I want to be the first to call bulls***. When the hell does Kenny's stuff go public to this extent? Either the Sox are trying to force someone to claim him ahead of them, or Kenny is trying to hide who he is really after. This is not like the KW administration at all.

Well, wasn't this speculated upon since the end of the non-waiver trade deadline?

I would say it's plausible to call bull **** but one has to think......what would we have to gain by threatening LAD with something totally false like this?

And as it's been pointed out, we dont go public with things like this...unless there's actually a chance. With Delgado, Ozzie wasn't nearly so accepting of it. In that case, Ozzie appeared to relay the honest organizational viewpoint...and now in this case he has relayed an organizational viewpoint again.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
cst_sox

Oz was asked if he would want Manny - "I don't know. But I will have to say yes because Kenny will get him anyway."

Well, it's nice to know that Ozzie doesn't want Manny and will probably have him platoon DH with Kotsay....

Ozzie creates this piece of crap DH rotation that has sucked all year and he doesn't know if he wants Manny?!?

Please retire after this season Ozzie.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
I gotta hope having this leak early before LA actually puts him on waivers that some other teams will attempt to block the Sox

as Balta points out the White Sox are the worst record team still with something of a shot for the playoffs, it would be pure spite for an AL team to do it and 4m of spite is too much IMO.

Certainly NL'ers could grab him, and depending on what the scuttle is from his camp I could see it. However, if the reports early this month of him only wanting to play for the White Sox (from WSCR) are true, than I can see the potential NL teams backing off because the LAD would automatically walk away the second a team claims him, so you're either out 4m when Manny's calf "flares up" again or he reports and is an absolute train wreck and blows a clubhouse up. Also, a NL team would have to play him in the field to use him.

I could see it going either way, I don't rule out him agreeing and actually cooperating with an NL team, but I could also see him having such a bad rep that he easily falls to the Sox. It's one of those things that's really hard to speculate when some of the behind the scenes conversations aren't known. If I had to chose, I would say he falls to the White Sox.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Acquiring Ramirez isn't just claiming him. Once Manny is claimed, there still must be a deal worked out. Considering Ramirez will be a Type A free agent who will probably get at least a two-year deal somewhere if he decides to play next season, the Dodgers would likely offer him arbitration (unless the risk of him accepting the offer is one the club is simply unwilling to take) and recoup a supplemental first-round pick plus either a first- or second-round pick if he were to sign elsewhere. They'll expect a trade offer that beats the promise of two first-round picks, and won't trade him if they can't get it.

Pretty sure you are wrong about that. If the Sox claim him, the Dodgers CAN try to work out some sort of deal, they could pull him back, or, they can just say "fine" and the Sox take over his contract.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)

My favorite quote in that article was "listen, im a byproduct of someone giving me a second chance. . " It sounds like KW isn't afraid of that PED cloud hanging over his head. I love the White Sox motto: Forgive, Forget and Move On. I can't wait to see Manny in a Sox uniform!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 06:51 PM)
My favorite quote in that article was "listen, im a byproduct of someone giving me a second chance. . " It sounds like KW isn't afraid of that PED cloud hanging over his head. I love the White Sox motto: Forgive, Forget and Move On. I can't wait to see Manny in a Sox uniform!

I hope an NL team claims him. As was stated earlier, this is very much the opposite of the way KW does business. It almost makes me think its strictly a PR move for the Sox hoping an NL team claims him or someone in front of them in line and then they can always say, we tried to get him. I just don't think Manny is going to earn that $4 million plus the next month. Last Sept. he hit .218. His last 1000 American League ABs his numbers aren't much better, if they are really even better, than Thome's. Maybe it will light a spark, but oft-injured 38 year olds off the juice rarely earn $4 million in a month.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
I hope an NL team claims him. As was stated earlier, this is very much the opposite of the way KW does business. It almost makes me think its strictly a PR move for the Sox hoping an NL team claims him or someone in front of them in line and then they can always say, we tried to get him. I just don't think Manny is going to earn that $4 million plus the next month. Last Sept. he hit .218. His last 1000 American League ABs his numbers aren't much better, if they are really even better, than Thome's. Maybe it will light a spark, but oft-injured 38 year olds off the juice rarely earn $4 million in a month.

I'm sorry but if you can get Manny for nothing you do it. He may not work out in the end, but this team is desperate for an upgrade at DH and he can't be any worse than Kotsay. We have to roll the dice on Manny if we get the chance.