White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more from onley:

Buster_ESPN $4 million, even if deferred.Manny would have the highest day rate of any player in Chicago White Sox history, by a solid margin.

28 minutes ago

Buster_ESPN The CWS always follow their own metrics, but a lot of folks with other teams wondering if 30 something games of Manny is worth (more)

29 minutes ago

Buster_ESPN We should know on Friday whether any NL team claimed Manny Ramirez ahead of the White Sox, now that Manny is on waivers.

38 minutes ago

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
what is the timetable for making a claim? how long does each team have? Is it simultaneous?

Each team has 49 hours to submit a claim. All teams submit claims during that 49 hour period. Once that period ends, if a team has claimed him, the 2 teams have 2 days again to work out a deal, pull the player back, or to let him go with no compensation. The Dodgers could let him go immediately, or they could hold on for a couple days to try to work out a better deal for both sides. If more than 1 team has claimed him, it goes immediately to the team with the highest priority. The NL has the first shot...if no NL team places a claim, it goes to AL teams by worst record. The Sox have worse records than anyone else legitimately in the playoff race, so there's no logical reason why anyone in the AL other than the Sox would claim him.

Steve where did you hear the cards?

I hope not, I don't see Larussa putting up with manny. Or any NL team playing him in the feild with his injury probs this year.

I don't think we end up with him tho, unfortunitly with all the media coverage of our interest will impede our ability to be awarded a claim. Someone will block/claim him before he gets to us which is a shame!

Finally, if he does somehow get to us, it'd be sick to see him debut during Frank Thomas Day vs the yanks. I guess stay tuned and hope for the best, atleast I will.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
Basically NL teams. The Sox are the AL team with the worst record of any that are still in the race. Someone like Detroit might just to spite us, but $4 million is a lot of money for spite. No one in the West will. Toronto won't.

I can potentially still see the Giants or the Braves rolling the dice on him. He can't possibly be worse than Jose Guillen for the Giants, for example.

Who is playing RF for Giants? They won't take Burrell out of left, he's been good for them since they got him and Manny is every bit as bad on D as Burrell can be. If they're shaky in right, I could see them claiming, although, I'm sure any team, including the White Sox, are going to have to do some back channel checking on Manny and see if he wants to play for the team, worst thing would be to claim him, Dodgers walk and you have Manny sore again or coming to your team and ripping it up

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
Who is playing RF for Giants? They won't take Burrell out of left, he's been good for them since they got him and Manny is every bit as bad on D as Burrell can be. If they're shaky in right, I could see them claiming, although, I'm sure any team, including the White Sox, are going to have to do some back channel checking on Manny and see if he wants to play for the team, worst thing would be to claim him, Dodgers walk and you have Manny sore again or coming to your team and ripping it up

The Giants picked up Jose Guillen from the Royals off of waivers to cover their RF spot. Their corner OF's have just been flat out bad this season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
The Giants picked up Jose Guillen from the Royals off of waivers to cover their RF spot. Their corner OF's have just been flat out bad this season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/burrepa01.shtml

I know he hasn't been with them all year, but Pat Burrell has a .892 OPS and a 133 OPS+ with the Giants, that's pretty good.

Sorry if this is already posted, but Heyman at SI.com says execs expect Manny to pass all the way through and then teams attempt a deal with LAD, that was what the early report a few weeks ago said KW was going to do, they weren't going to put a claim in on him, but only move if he passed through.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/base....html?eref=sihp

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Guillen hasn't even been starting consistently in SF, has he?

It seems he's more like their 4th outfielder. Unless his playing time has changed a lot in the last 7-10 days.

Guillen has 1 DNP since being acquired, and that was yesterday, when the Giants started Cody Ross, who they claimed on Waivers from the Marlins.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
Guillen has 1 DNP since being acquired, and that was yesterday, when the Giants started Cody Ross, who they claimed on Waivers from the Marlins.

Should have looked it up, I remember listening to one of their games on the radio over the net and maybe it was the other team's announcers implying he wasn't going to be a starter with them.

If they've added Ross and Guillen, there's no way they are going to add Ramirez too, in addition to Burrell (although I do applaud them for effort, at least the GIANTS have actually gone out and addressed their hitting problems, or tried to).

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
Sorry if this is already posted, but Heyman at SI.com says execs expect Manny to pass all the way through and then teams attempt a deal with LAD, that was what the early report a few weeks ago said KW was going to do, they weren't going to put a claim in on him, but only move if he passed through.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/base....html?eref=sihp

Wouldn't that be pretty risky hoping that no one at all claims him.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
Wouldn't that be pretty risky hoping that no one at all claims him.

Once it gets past the Sox...the only real legitimate team that might claim him is the Rays.

And frankly, if I were the Rays and I could afford the salary...I'd absolutely jump at the chance. Their DH spot has been as weak as ours.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Once it gets past the Sox...the only real legitimate team that might claim him is the Rays.

And frankly, if I were the Rays and I could afford the salary...I'd absolutely jump at the chance. Their DH spot has been as weak as ours.

Yeah, it makes no sense for the Sox not to claim him if they plan to make a deal either way. They then still get to try for a deal with LAD, before they pull him back. And leaving him to fall risks him going elsewhere. If they want Manny, I don't see any gain in letting him go by on waivers.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
I would be willing to bet, if it could be proven, that he has been using MOST of his career. Same with A-ROD. I think he's been doing it his whole career. You don't play 5 or so great years, and then decide to do the stuff, after you get a huge contract.

And for that reason, you can look at both the championships of the Red Sox and say they are majorly tainted, since their main players were probably using at the time...him and Papi.

Like a lot of people, I have reset my homerun records to 61 and 755.

Who the hell cares??? I still think that players should be allowed to use them at will and they made the game better.

Fine, don't count their records - the official record book (which doesn't exist) does and so do I.