White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
That's our entire system anyway. Viciedo/Sale. After that, it's embarrassing.

I'm sorry I missed this, do you really think that way? I feel like we have a few down there that can contribute eventually like Mitchel and Thompson.

dylanohernandez At least one baseball person I talked to today thinks Manny won't get out of the NL. RT @kennycity Any chance an NL team claims Manny?

about 4 hours ago

dylanohernandez Doesn't sound like the #Dodgers are close to dealing #Manny to the #WhiteSox, though.

about 4 hours ago

These are tweets from LAs beat writer within minutes of the one concurring that we were taking to LA about Manny. Still looks like it's a toss up. I'm one that is really hoping we get him but I'm going to calm down because I have a feeling it's going to be another heartbreaker.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
I just hope Morel isn't going to the Dodgers in return if it happens. I'm afraid of an overpay.

No way they do that unless the Dodgers cover the entire salary, then throw in money.

So not gonna happen.

I don't think we'll end up giving up ANY prospects in the deal, unless LA kicks in cash.

If the Sox claim him, the Dodgers are not going to pull him back and eat $4M. They will let the Sox have him.

Edited by scenario

I haven't read the entire thread,but alot of it, does anyone think there's a chance Washington's GM gives Kenny a big F-you and puts a claim in on Manny? KW basically called out Rizzo at the trade deadline without mentioning him by name. Rizzo could put a claim in knowing Manny won't go there and still stick it to Williams.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 06:56 AM)
I haven't read the entire thread,but alot of it, does anyone think there's a chance Washington's GM gives Kenny a big F-you and puts a claim in on Manny? KW basically called out Rizzo at the trade deadline without mentioning him by name. Rizzo could put a claim in knowing Manny won't go there and still stick it to Williams.

For $4 million dollars???

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 07:00 AM)
What about the no trade clause?

Good point. Either way, I don't really see Rizzo doing that just to tell KW f*** you, they arent like rivals or even in the same league. That and there is the 2% chance to Manny just wants to get out of LA and says yes to go to DC.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 07:00 AM)
What about the no trade clause?

This is where i'm confused, and I'm hoping someone could clarify for me....

Manny has a no trade clause. If a team (in this case, say WAS) puts a claim on Manny, Manny can block that trade, right? So does that end the Waiver process for him? So he won't be able to make it to another team? Because it wouldn't be fair if he can block a trade to every team that claimed him, unless he really wants to go there, right?

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 06:43 AM)
This is where i'm confused, and I'm hoping someone could clarify for me....

Manny has a no trade clause. If a team (in this case, say WAS) puts a claim on Manny, Manny can block that trade, right? So does that end the Waiver process for him? So he won't be able to make it to another team? Because it wouldn't be fair if he can block a trade to every team that claimed him, unless he really wants to go there, right?

Yes. See what just happened with Johnny Damon and the Red Sox. The Red Sox claimed him, the Tigers and Red Sox were willing to make a deal, but Damon used his NTC to block the deal. He cannot be placed on waivers again this season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Yes. See what just happened with Johnny Damon and the Red Sox. The Red Sox claimed him, the Tigers and Red Sox were willing to make a deal, but Damon used his NTC to block the deal. He cannot be placed on waivers again this season.

Can he still be placed on irrevocable waivers? i.e. if the team was just happy to get rid of his salary and was willing to take nothing back, could they put him on waivers again?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 07:06 AM)
Can he still be placed on irrevocable waivers? i.e. if the team was just happy to get rid of his salary and was willing to take nothing back, could they put him on waivers again?

Maybe after September 1, I'm not sure. But in that case he would be ineligible for the postseason roster.

But if a player gets claimed, and the teams cannot work out a deal, then they cannot just go and place him on irrevocable waivers before the August 31st deadline.