White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
LOL.

People who are against PEDs are such hypocrites. How many of you don't speed in your cars or look for loopholes when doing your taxes? Sure, it's okay to cheat on some things and not others. What bs....

Except that exploiting loopholes in one's tax returns is completely legal. Bad comparison.

I don't have time to read all 100+ pages of this. Do the Sox owe Manny anything after this season?

Update from ChicagoBreakingSports.com

Sox, Dodgers will use weekend to decide on Manny

August 27, 2010 3:10 PM | 13 Comments

By Dave van Dyck

Now that the White Sox have been awarded the waiver claim on Manny Ramirez, according to several sources, they have until Tuesday to work out a deal with the Dodgers, who may have a clearer indication by then of whether they are in or out of playoff contention.

Nothing will happen over the weekend, according to one source familiar with the proceedings, allowing both sides to assess where they are and exactly what they need. The Dodgers, who are five games out of the National League wild card race and play the Rockies this weekend, have the choice of making a deal or pulling Ramirez off waivers and keeping his $4 million-plus salary for the rest of the season.

It is not clear of what details the White Sox and Dodgers have worked out previously, but the prospect Los Angles would receive back from the Sox would depend on how much of Ramirez's salary the Dodgers want to pay. In the original talks before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, the Sox were to pay less than half the salary, according to sources.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
To all those making comments about Manny’s character, consider which of the following you hate more.

The patented Chicago White Sox second half fade / choke job to the Twins?

OR

PEDs?

PEDs. I can handle getting legitimately beat... that I can respect.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Please be true. Or at least don't give up any player in our system who has a chance to be a MLB standout.

I'd much rather cheer on Manny in Oct. than watch the Twins get swept by the Yankees. (I realize having him won't guarantee anything, but it's a hell of a lot better of a chance with him)

Manny is 100x better than Kotsay. I'm tired of seeing Kotsay choke with RISP. I'm actually just tired of seeing him suck at baseball in general, and it will be great to see someone as good as Manny in those positions instead.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Except that exploiting loopholes in one's tax returns is completely legal. Bad comparison.

I don't have time to read all 100+ pages of this. Do the Sox owe Manny anything after this season?

About $3M in deferred salary from what I know.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
#mlb #dodgers GM Ned Colletti on moving trading Manny Ramirez: "Not inclined to move anyone so long as we have a chance.'' - Nightengale

Weak positioning by Colletti.

They're 11 games out with 3 teams in front of them. The Tigers, A's, Rockies, and Angels are closer to first place than they are.

I know he needs to make things look a little better to in the hopes of squeezing a decent prospect out of the Sox, but...

They have no real chance. Time to give it up Ned.

Edited by scenario

I honestly feel that the Sox are missing just a piece or two to be a contender for the whole thing. As the team is now, they might be able to catch up the Twins. With Manny, the chances are better, and they could even make it deep into the playoffs.

I just look back at the 2005 team and wonder what it had that this team doesn't. I'm not saying it's the DH thing...that's only part of it. Hopefully Manny can make a big difference, because I think that's what the Sox need.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
I honestly feel that the Sox are missing just a piece or two to be a contender for the whole thing. As the team is now, they might be able to catch up the Twins. With Manny, the chances are better, and they could even make it deep into the playoffs.

I just look back at the 2005 team and wonder what it had that this team doesn't. I'm not saying it's the DH thing...that's only part of it. Hopefully Manny can make a big difference, because I think that's what the Sox need.

Hopefully Manny and a refreshed Putz and Thornton is all that it takes to get us over the top.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
I hope some people think long and hard before making such posts iike this.

People, don't out yourselves as people who condone cheating and all that. Don't make me lose faith in humanity more than I have.

My god. Think before you post.

CHEATING IS WRONG!!!

Wank wank wank......... get off your goddamn high horse. Enjoy your sanctimonious all-clean LAST PLACE team. There's room for you on the North side, where they don't care where they finish.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
PEDs. I can handle getting legitimately beat... that I can respect.

I can handle getting BEAT too, but what I've grown to hate is the White Sox continually gift wrapping the division title for our opponents (most years it is the Twins).

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
About $3M in deferred salary from what I know.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
However, I believe that money would have to be set aside this season.

Thanks. It's a gamble (is he even healthy yet?), but $7M isn't too ridiculous, as long as they don't give a top prospect in return.

Manny Ramirez-OF-Dodgers Aug. 27 - 4:37 pm et

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said the Dodgers are "not inclined" to trade anyone as long as they have a chance at the playoffs.

What else do you expect him to say? The Dodgers have won three in a row and currently sit five games out of the Wild Card. It would be the wrong message to send to their fan base the players in their locker room if they gave up right now, even if there are a few teams ahead of them in the race. That being said, if they have a bad weekend against the Rockies, that could change everything.

per Rotoworld.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
Maybe after a Dodger loss tonight things start moving a bit more briskly.

Any sox fan that wants Manny should be cheering for the Rockies hard this series. Won't be hard for me as they are my second favorite MLB team. Go get em Ubaldo!

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
Thanks. It's a gamble (is he even healthy yet?), but $7M isn't too ridiculous, as long as they don't give a top prospect in return.

It's acutally around 4.

~$1M left for this season and ~$3M in deferred salary making it ~4M total.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
Weak positioning by Colletti.

They're 11 games out with 3 teams in front of them. The Tigers, A's, Rockies, and Angels are closer to first place than they are.

They have no real chance. Time to give it up Ned.

They are only 5 gms back in the wildcard they aren't out of it by a long shot

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 08:44 PM)
Wank wank wank......... get off your goddamn high horse. Enjoy your sanctimonious all-clean LAST PLACE team. There's room for you on the North side, where they don't care where they finish.

No. I will ride the horse as much as I want.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Any chance KW gets impatient and sweetens the deal in order to get Manny here asap? He would really come in handy this weekend.

I was thinking that too. Maybe so "Ok, we will pay all the contract, and throw in a player IF you make the trade today so we can have Manny against New York"

This weekend series is huge, and having Manny for it would be amazing.