White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)
BNightengale

#mlb #whitesox #dodgers Manny is on way to Cleveland. Should be in Sox lineup tonite.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's tight. He's going to look so good with a haircut.

He had better be hitting 3rd. Rios there has been abysmal.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
I'll bet the hair negotiations are holding things up. If Manny really wanted to mess with reporters and shock people, he should show up with a buzz cut and a suit, be a model citizen, and crush the ball all the way through October.

I'd like to see him sans dreads.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 07:29 AM)
Barry Bonds was an MVP when he weighed 185 lbs. I think a lot of people assume Manny just started with the PEDs when he was busted. I would be willing to bet he took them most, if not all of his career in Boston and maybe some in Cleveland. Manny is a huge douche. Did Bonds ever fly out to the OF and not even run to first, just walk back to the dugout? Manny did. Manny dicked his way out of Boston and now LA. Maybe it will work out for 30 days. I tend to doubt it, but to me the worst thing that can happen is Manny plays well, the Sox still lose and they ignore history and give Manny some money in the winter.

Even Ozzie said the other day Manny says hi to you one day and the next acts like he's never met you. He's a clown.

I'm not even going to bother arguing with you, because you see things your way, and this is based only partially on fact and the rest on wild speculation.

I'll just note that I pretty much disagree emphatically with this entire post.

Manny Ramirez fantasy owners can't be real pleased at what they've received statistically over the past few months, but I'm telling you, there is a light at the end of the Manny tunnel. It's one that provides strong fantasy numbers. Ramirez's pending move from the Los Angeles Dodgers to the Chicago White Sox on Monday after being claimed from waivers is very relevant, and while the compensation remains in question, Ramirez's ability does not. This guy can still rake.

Let me amend that last statement: What we've seen from Ramirez in the past is he can rake when he wants to, and one would think a move to the south side of Chicago and a pennant race would do the trick. Ramirez can't play the outfield effectively anymore, and he won't have to in the final month. I don't think his hitting prowess is a problem, though. We've seen Ramirez turn on the hitting light before with a new team late in a season.

espn.com/fantasybaseball eric karabell

I've never understood why fans get so caught up in the personalities of their favorite players. So what if player A is a jerk, I'm rooting for him in the fantasy world of sports, I don't care if he tips poorly or yells at his kids too loudly. I don't want to be his friend. There are exceptions for felons, batterers, and maybe Pete Rose, and while Manny may have "cheated," if we've learned anything about PED's, it's that speculation is rampant, and countless others were using them, greenies, B12, or someting similar. I don't care if I'd like Manny as a person, I want him to hit, and I won't stop rooting for a sports team, because i don't like the personalities of the players on the team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
LA has Hollywood, Chicago has Lollapalooza... this seemed like a simple one for me to throw together.

The more signatures it finds it's way into, the better the odds will be on our side!

4942253352_a215254fe0.jpg

Sig it. Go SOX!

Good work.

I hate Manny. He's an idiot who disrespects the game in every way. I don't think the Sox will win the division with or without him, so I'm a little disappointed he's on the team I root for. That said, it's only 5 weeks, so I will root for him and hopefully a miracle will happen and the Sox will go 23-9 the rest of the way and that will be enough.

Eight.

That's the number of Ex- or present Sox who played on the 1995 or 1997 Cleveland Indians.

Omar Vizquel

Jim Thome

Albert Belle

Kenny Lofton

Manny Ramirez

Sandy Alomar

Herbert Perry

Ken Hill

Omar Vizquel

Jim Thome

Manny Ramirez

Sandy Alomar

Julio Franco

Bartolo Colon

Michael Jackson

Jack McDowell

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
I hate Manny. He's an idiot who disrespects the game in every way. I don't think the Sox will win the division with or without him, so I'm a little disappointed he's on the team I root for. That said, it's only 5 weeks, so I will root for him and hopefully a miracle will happen and the Sox will go 23-9 the rest of the way and that will be enough.

The Sox have lost 8 of their last 9 one run games. They have come back when down late. They are going to get a couple key guys (Thornton, Putz) back from the DL relatively soon. And there are 5 weeks left to play. This Sox team screams "one more player will help more than it appears". As long as he's healthy, I think he makes a significant impact.

Any stat that tries to simply value his run production as projected to wins isn't really useful here.

So, Manny's on his way to Chicago, but the Sox haven't hammered this thing out. The Dodgers want to just give him to us, we want him to take a player. Would KW allow this to not be official for another day and thus no Manny in the lineup tonight?

We have 5 weeks left. We need every at bat we can get out of Manny.