Sox fine as-is?

SouthsideDon48

Hey everyone, am I the only one that think the Sox is fine as they are currently constructed?

I mean,... the Sox has 58 wins, they had, like, a 13-game win streak, a 8 game win streak, and two 5 game win streaks (forgot the exact lengths of the streaks).

I think I'd rather stick to the offense that's been belting out the runs the past couple weeks and not risk disrupting any team chemistry by bringing in another bat.

I also think Edwin Jackson will help this team more than a bat can. Jackson makes our rotation air-tight and I think he's gonna surprise a lot of people.

Plus, with Threets in our bullpen the bullpen is so much more better at Putz, Thornton, Santos, Pena, Jenks, Threets, Linebrink.

I dunno, I'm just feeling VERY VERY confident in this team now, and as long as they keep winning, I don't think they'll need to trade for a DH bat.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're nowhere near fine as is. If you want to win the World Series, you get a bat.

This offense won't hit come September as-is. I'd say with this current team, we have a 50-60% shot at this division.

Edited by chw42

I could live with it as is.

I'd like to get a bat, but I don't want to trade Viciedo for a rental.

We've got lefties covered pretty well from a DH standpoint...it's just the DH against righties we've got to worry about...and that is a weakness, but I don't think it's the end of the world.

In my opinion, we could definitely win with this roster.

as is i think the sox could win the division, but that's about it.

the lack of a quality lefty bat is a flaw that cannot be denied. the further you go the more apparent the flaws you have will become.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
I could live with it as is.

I'd like to get a bat, but I don't want to trade Viciedo for a rental.

We've got lefties covered pretty well from a DH standpoint...it's just the DH against righties we've got to worry about...and that is a weakness, but I don't think it's the end of the world.

In my opinion, we could definitely win with this roster.

Our left handed production in general has basically been the worst in the AL as the Mariners recently passed us in LHB OPS and that's with Vizquel playing out of his mind, Teahen should help some but how much?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
Our left handed production in general has basically been the worst in the AL as the Mariners recently passed us in LHB OPS and that's with Vizquel playing out of his mind, Teahen should help some but how much?

Depends on if we have him face LH pitching or not.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
im sick of seeing the bases loaded with 1 or 0 out and the 5th/6th batter in the order coming up being Kotsay or Pierzynski.. its a total inning killer

See the 1st inning of last night. I called the GIDP and AJ delivered.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)

There is no defending it, to be honest.

But I am not a fan of trading Viciedo away to correct that.

Will I understand it if we do trade Viciedo in order to get Dunn? Yes. But I will not be happy about it.

I think when we get to the Postseason, and the weather is cooler, and we face more lefty starters, we'll be fine.

I don't get the demand for a lefty power bat. I mean, it would be helpful, but at the same time, just get a good power hitter and I think we'll be fine. In 2005, we really didn't have a great lefty thumper and we were able to win.

I'm not saying this is '05, but I don't see the great dire need for the bat to be a lefty.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
I don't get the demand for a lefty power bat. I mean, it would be helpful, but at the same time, just get a good power hitter and I think we'll be fine. In 2005, we really didn't have a great lefty thumper and we were able to win.

I'm not saying this is '05, but I don't see the great dire need for the bat to be a lefty.

Our OPS against RH from a DH could actually be over .800.....but against lefties it is .650ish?

That is where the demand comes from...

I don't think we are going to beat out Minnesota even after we make the Dunn trade.

I just hope KW is in love with Beckham/Viciedo and doesn't deal them. I think it'd be a huge mistake.

I have to see it to believe it as far as us beating out those bastards from Minnesota for the division title even if we get Dunn.

Minnie I feel is the strong favorite. They just about swept us in a four game series just a few days ago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
I don't think we are going to beat out Minnesota even after we make the Dunn trade.

I just hope KW is in love with Beckham/Viciedo and doesn't deal them. I think it'd be a huge mistake.

I have to see it to believe it as far as us beating out those bastards from Minnesota for the division title even if we get Dunn.

Minnie I feel is the strong favorite. They just about swept us in a four game series just a few days ago.

Excuse me? Minny almost swept the Sox? The Sox dominated in game 1,and in game 2 and 3 had the winning run in scoring position with PK at the plate in the 9th. Then Bobby blew a 3 run lead in the 9th of game 4. Sox should and could have very easily swept that seriis in Minny.

The Twins are not a strong favorite. They still lack a starter or two. Duesing,Baker,and Slowey are very inconsistent.

I thought we almost blew Game One. The game Bobby blew is just a carbon copy of what they've done to us many times in the recent past.

I listened to the Score last night and all the callers were assuming we had the division and were talking about the playoffs when we'll face the Yankees in Round One. I don't get it. Minnie has our number. I have to see it to believe it regarding us beating them out. One Score caller said we'd win the division by at least eight games.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
I thought we almost blew Game One. The game Bobby blew is just a carbon copy of what they've done to us many times in the recent past.

We almost blew game 1...but it was in the sense that we knew we had a big lead so we were willing to trade runs to get the game over quicker and we didn't want to deploy our big guns if we didn't have to.

Depends on your definition of fine. If you think being a very slight favorite in the division who would basically have to hope for a run of great luck in the playoffs to do anything if you get there is fine, they yes we are. If you want to be a strong AL Central favorite who is capable of making a big playoff run without a big string of luck, then another significant bat is needed IMO.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

While Id like to improve the offense, KW just doesnt have the bullets this year, unless he wants to give up something that will hurt the Sox in the future (Beckham/Dayan).

I am more optimistic than other Sox fans about the current team because I think that Beckham/Dayan can have big second halves and that if the Sox work Teahen, Dayan and Vizquel right that they can overcome some of the worries at DH/3b.

I don't think Ozzie is going to give Dayan enough at bats to have him truly make the impact he's capable of. He has to get his boy Kotsay in there for whatever reason. I'd also like to see therapist get more AB's in AJ's place as the catcher until he cools off, but I'm not holding my breath there.

Edited by whitesoxfan101