Sox fine as-is?

SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
While Id like to improve the offense, KW just doesnt have the bullets this year, unless he wants to give up something that will hurt the Sox in the future (Beckham/Dayan).

I am more optimistic than other Sox fans about the current team because I think that Beckham/Dayan can have big second halves and that if the Sox work Teahen, Dayan and Vizquel right that they can overcome some of the worries at DH/3b.

There's little doubt in my mind that Dayan is headed for the minors, I'd say it'll be upon Teahen's return at the latest. He's only being used against LHP and plays the same positions as Teahen (who they'll have to find some kind of PT for when he returns without sacrificing Kotsay's ABs), seems like he's played a very specialized role on this club, one that would be eliminated with the return of Teahen.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
There's little doubt in my mind that Dayan is headed for the minors, I'd say it'll be upon Teahen's return at the latest. He's only being used against LHP and plays the same positions as Teahen (who they'll have to find some kind of PT for when he returns without sacrificing Kotsay's ABs), seems like he's played a very specialized role on this club, one that would be eliminated with the return of Teahen.

I agree, and considering how much we're starving for offense right now, it's an absolute joke.

I think that may have been the case had Dayan not been hitting. But I think when Teahen comes back you will see Lilli sent down and that you will see Vizquel, Teahen and Dayan rotating at 3b, with a DH rotation including Kotsay and Jones.

I just cant imagine that the Sox wont continue having dayan play against LHP. Id be 100% fine with a line up of Vizquel at 3b and Dayan at DH against lefties.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
See the 1st inning of last night. I called the GIDP and AJ delivered.

My 5-year old son is really into baseball, the Sox in particular. He was at the kitchen table eating a bowl of cereal this morning, looks up, and asks me, "why does AJ Pierzynski always swing at the first pitch?" I laughed and assumed I might have said something like that and he remembered. I asked him if that was the case and he said "no, I remember that game against the Indians where he got up with runners on and hit into a DP on the first pitch." Granted, he is really into baseball, but for a 5 year old to notice this really tells you something.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
My 5-year old son is really into baseball, the Sox in particular. He was at the kitchen table eating a bowl of cereal this morning, looks up, and asks me, "why does AJ Pierzynski always swing at the first pitch?" I laughed and assumed I might have said something like that and he remembered. I asked him if that was the case and he said "no, I remember that game against the Indians where he got up with runners on and hit into a DP on the first pitch." Granted, he is really into baseball, but for a 5 year old to notice this really tells you something.

Wow.

I'm speechless. At 5?

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Hey everyone, am I the only one that think the Sox is fine as they are currently constructed?

I mean,... the Sox has 58 wins, they had, like, a 13-game win streak, a 8 game win streak, and two 5 game win streaks (forgot the exact lengths of the streaks).

I think I'd rather stick to the offense that's been belting out the runs the past couple weeks and not risk disrupting any team chemistry by bringing in another bat.

I also think Edwin Jackson will help this team more than a bat can. Jackson makes our rotation air-tight and I think he's gonna surprise a lot of people.

Plus, with Threets in our bullpen the bullpen is so much more better at Putz, Thornton, Santos, Pena, Jenks, Threets, Linebrink.

I dunno, I'm just feeling VERY VERY confident in this team now, and as long as they keep winning, I don't think they'll need to trade for a DH bat.

Wow, no. I hate when people use chemistry as a reason not to strengthen your team. I agree that the pitching staff should be much more than sufficient as it currently stands, but we really need a better hitter at DH (or OF with Quentin moving to DH).

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
Excuse me? Minny almost swept the Sox? The Sox dominated in game 1,and in game 2 and 3 had the winning run in scoring position with PK at the plate in the 9th. Then Bobby blew a 3 run lead in the 9th of game 4. Sox should and could have very easily swept that seriis in Minny.

The Twins are not a strong favorite. They still lack a starter or two. Duesing,Baker,and Slowey are very inconsistent.

I really hate seeing people count the Twins out. They are half a game back right now. They are a very serious threat to us.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
While Id like to improve the offense, KW just doesnt have the bullets this year, unless he wants to give up something that will hurt the Sox in the future (Beckham/Dayan).

I am more optimistic than other Sox fans about the current team because I think that Beckham/Dayan can have big second halves and that if the Sox work Teahen, Dayan and Vizquel right that they can overcome some of the worries at DH/3b.

That is where I get a ray of hope. There is a chance, IF Ozzie handles it correctly, that we can get by with this rotating DH thing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
I don't think Ozzie is going to give Dayan enough at bats to have him truly make the impact he's capable of. He has to get his boy Kotsay in there for whatever reason. I'd also like to see therapist get more AB's in AJ's place as the catcher until he cools off, but I'm not holding my breath there.

What?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
I could live with Viciedo and Jones as our DH's the rest of the way.

The problem is...we're not putting Kotsay out to pasture without a LH bat. It's just not happening. Even then, he'll still get his at bats.

Sadly, this is true. Rotating Viciedo and Teahen at 3B/DH would make more sense, but we all know that's not going to happen.

I still think that we have enough offense to win. Beckham and Pierre have improved dramatically, and Vizquel has been a pleasant surprise. Even if/when the latter falls off, they'll still be alright. If Teahen goes into the tank offensively, Viciedo has proven to be a legit option.

We could obviously improve at DH, but I think that Kenny was right conceptually to get a back-of-the-rotation starter instead. I think that he could've done better than Jackson but, for right now, he's a (modest) improvement over Hudson. The #5 starter doesn't become irrelevant until you've actually made the playoffs, and we're still fighting like hell to get there.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
I think you are wrong. Kotsay/Jones is a black hole. they are winning despite the DH, and a formidable DH will make them that much stronger in the playoffs

I totally agree...I think the Sox would be well advised to get a bat for the stretch run...perhaps a waiver deal. The Jones/Kotsay experiment has been a disappointment.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
I really hate seeing people count the Twins out. They are half a game back right now. They are a very serious threat to us.

There is zero reason to count the Twins out. I am counting out Detroit, but no chance I write off Minnesota until we clinch.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)

No one is counting the Twins out. He was responding to Greg's post basically counting us out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
No one is counting the Twins out. He was responding to Greg's post basically counting us out.

Yeah, counting the Twins or us out in the division right now is silly. I think it's basically a coin flip as to which of us make the playoffs as currently constructed.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
Yeah, counting the Twins or us out in the division right now is silly. I think it's basically a coin flip as to which of us make the playoffs as currently constructed.

That's what it came down to in 2008.