White Sox make no last minute deals

southsider2k5

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Let's face it, the best bet for Sox to have a productive DH is for Viciedo to become the everyday starter. However, I give that a 1% chance of happening.

I'd say less than 1 percent considering Dayan will be gone when Teahen arrives. I wish our manager wasn't an idiot when it comes to offense, a platoon of Dayan and Thome at DH would be nice right about now.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
We're not the Yankees. 8 million dollars next year for a guy that isn't very good as your 4th starter (and giving up one of your very few prospects to acquire it) is a really bad move. If Jackson pitches well and gets us into the playoffs, then it's only just a bad move. That's the ceiling for this trade, a bad move. Which is why I don't like it.

I think your opinion is clear man. What if Jackson goes 10-0 with a 0.00 ERA. wha wha bad move is the ONLY ceiling wha wha. Talk about beating a dead horse, and it's only an opinion, not even gospel.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
I am happy. But our paper thin system really bit us in the ass.

No it didn't. Our paper thin system had guys that the Nats wanted, but we refused to part with them cause the asking price was too high.

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
No one was going to trade for Dunn or Bautista. The asking price was ridiculous. Our farm system really isn't as weak as a lot of people perceive it to be. There is talent down there.

Judging a team's farm system by Baseball Prospectus or Baseball America is a wash. Most of those guys don't even see the players they write about, they just regurgitate scouting reports from scouts that see guys pitch 6 innings or get 4 at bats and feel they are able to evaluate a player that is still developing in low or high a.

My point is take what you read on the internet about team's farm systems with a grain of salt, because most of the time these so called "experts" don't have any idea what they're talking about.

Wrong, it is that weak. Flowers, Viciedo and Hudson (before the trade) were the only three names you ever heard about from our side. Because there's flat nothing else after that. It's not perception. It's cold reality.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
I'd say less than 1 percent considering Dayan will be gone when Teahen arrives. I wish our manager wasn't an idiot when it comes to offense, a platoon of Dayan and Thome at DH would be nice right about now.

oh yes, lets cry about Thome some more

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
No it didn't. Our paper thin system had guys that the Nats wanted, but we refused to part with them cause the asking price was too high.

I think his point was, that if we had a bit of a deeper system then parting with some of these guys wouldn't be as big of an issue.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)

Guys as in one: Viciedo. They obviously didn't want Hudson or Flowers. And the rest of the system is a joke.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
Wrong, it is that weak. Flowers, Viciedo and Hudson (before the trade) were the only three names you ever heard about from our side. Because there's flat nothing else after that. It's not perception. It's cold reality.

Indeed. Not to mention the injuries to Peavy and Mitchell in spring training really killed our chances to land an impact player as well.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
I think his point was, that if we had a bit of a deeper system parting with some of these guys wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Then why did none of the teams with the flourishing minor league systems make a deal for Dunn?

If Rios was putting up HOF numbers hes never on waivers.

The entire reason the Sox had a chance at him was because he was underperforming for his contract.

If you look at this stats, he had ops + of 120, 122 and then 112, to go with outsstanding defense and good speed on the basepaths.

Was there a chance that at 28 he all of a sudden fell off a cliff (+83)?

Sure there was a small chance. But absent injury or any explanation as to the fall off, it just seemed like Konerko 2003 all over again. (You can even check my posts at the time which make this comparison over and over again.)

I think that Jackson is a far higher risk than Rios, but at the same time Jackson has extreme talent and still has time to develop it. At 26 I wasnt exactly the most determined or focused worker, but some times things just click between 26-28. Ive always liked Jackson's stuff and feel that this may be the wake up call to get him focused.

Who knows, but I think that the Sox turned an overhyped prospect into an underachieving young starter.

Im fine with that most days of the week.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Hard not to when a team makes such a mind numbingly horrible decision

Its over and done with. Crying about it doesnt change it. It would be nice, yes. Ok, it has been said. let it go

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Indeed. Not to mention the injuries to Peavy and Mitchell in spring training really killed our chances to land an impact player as well.

I don't even post at futuresox anymore (and that's a shame, Ozzieball is the s***). But there's flat nothing worth following. Not even Chase Blackwood and Ryan Buch.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
Its over and done with. Crying about it doesnt change it. It would be nice, yes. Ok, it has been said. let it go

Ironically, I feel closure about that move today. Just have to hope Viciedo RAKES this weekend.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Had we kept him over Jayson Nix like any organization using logic would have, we wouldn't even be dying for a DH right now.

Ok, and? its over. Thome is a twin.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)

Dayan should get every single opportunity to get as man ABs in the next 30 days. The idea that we would even think of relying on a guy's who's track record of swinging from his heels, people start throwing s*** in the dirt, then his numbers plummet and a guy who Pods out OPSed last year as our DH is sad. Viciedo has pop in his bat and just needs to get more ABs to see what it is. There is no magic waiver deal to fix this. Its just hoping that Guillen embraces logic and reality over his memory of Andruw in a Braves uni when Guillen was a coach there.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Guys as in one: Viciedo. They obviously didn't want Hudson or Flowers. And the rest of the system is a joke.

Other teams like Tampa with much deeper systems couldn't get a deal done either. If the Sox system was deeper, then the Nats would ask for the best prospect that we wouldn't wanna trade anyway.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
We'll see how you feel if we have to trade Danks due to money issues or cannot re-sign Konerko.

Not re-signing Konerko wouldn't phase me. I like Danks because he's an ace without the opposition having the mindset of playing against an ace, but he's going to be very expensive, regardless of what the White Sox are paying other players.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
For $8 million I really, really hope you are right.

It's not my payroll. I like him as a player. With that said, I still like him at 8 mil this year and next more than I like Dunn coming around for a few months and leaving town for 20 mil/yr.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
No Jake Peavy = need for starting pitching.

How is this so hard to comprehend?

If the White Sox flipped over Jackson for Dunn, who was going to pitch in that slot of the rotation? Torres? Harrell? Pena? Konerko? Ozzie?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
Because Edwin Jackson sucks, costs a lot of money, and doesn't fill that need with the way he's pitching right now.

13-9 for Detroit last year when they went to game 163, 14-11 for Tampa bay in 2008 in the year they went to the world series. He knows how to pitch in a pennant race.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Jason Goff says Sox offered Jackson and Flowers, Rizzo said no. Rizzo wanted Jackson and Viciedo, and Kenny said no.

This is the reason not re-signing Konerko won't bum me out. Viciedo obviously has a future with the organization, and it's probably at 1b.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Then why did none of the teams with the flourishing minor league systems make a deal for Dunn?

Like who? The Rays? Dunn would've been an upgrade. But that team is arguably the best in baseball. They don't need Dunn like we need Dunn. They or a team like the Giants could've easily landed him had they wanted to.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)

Like it or not it's tied to the topic of the day and it's going to be brought up.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
Other teams like Tampa with much deeper systems couldn't get a deal done either. If the Sox system was deeper, then the Nats would ask for the best prospect that we wouldn't wanna trade anyway.

Tampa's also in a situation though where they need their main prospects (Jennings, Hellickson) to fill in next season for when they lose some free agents. They didn't really have expendable prospects.