White Sox make no last minute deals

southsider2k5

low and behold it's passed 3 o'clock on July 31st and we're stuck with the same bulls***. Whether anybody likes it or not, people have a right to be pissed about this and it goes back to spring training.

I do not think it would be the same bulls*** if KW would meet with Oz and Jerry and the three of them decide to dump Kotsay and give ALL the DH time to Viciedo/Teahen (mild yuk) and play Viciedo at third the other days.

I think the guy can hit.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
You're still not explaining to us why the Giants or Rays didn't part with any of their 19 5-star prospects to acquire Dunn, since they have so much depth that they can deal them away without flinching...

Does it really matter? You and SS2K5 talk about how impossible we are to deal with. You guys are just as impossible. At least ranger gets paid to be a KW apologist. You guys do it for free.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
You're speaking in incredible hyperbole today, badger. Optimism is fine, but one of the best pick ups ever? And even if Jackson is good, our offense still isn't good enough.

I bet if you compared 2005 offense (after Thomas went down) to the 2010 version, there's not much of a difference....if so, it's pretty negligible.

I'm not conceding anything yet.

Not really, but you have to believe the following (which I do)

1) Hudson was a mediocre prospect with limited MLB upside that the Sox sold at almost his peak value.

2) That Jackson has a dynamic arm and just has not been able to put his pure potential with the ability to pitch. That the Sox have seen something that will change this. Jackson would give the Sox 3 pitchers who have pretty good stuff and that is what you will need in the playoffs.

And best moves ever was for KW, I guess I could have made that more clear.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
You're still not explaining to us why the Giants or Rays didn't part with any of their 19 5-star prospects to acquire Dunn, since they have so much depth that they can deal them away without flinching...

Because the Sox didnt have enough viable replacements for guys like Konerko after this season, that KW was forced to hold onto a guy like Viciedo. If we had more pieces we couldve gotten the trade done with other pieces or we wouldve had other players to replace Konerko, etc.

Other teams didnt trade for Dunn because they didnt have the stones to do it, simple as that. They had the pieces, but didnt want to give them up. Different organizational philosophies.

I am not upset. I think they were asking way too much. I am hoping that the Jackson deal is better for the Sox than I think it will be just from the first look. I am tired of giving away our talent. Now we have a fellow with not too good of a record. I will say however that he has shown some promise over the years including this year so anything can happen

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Maybe, but the fact is that this dh spot is one of the bigger debacles I can ever remember when it comes to a competing team in baseball. Everyone in the f***in world except our brilliant management knew this was going to be a complete disaster. Then we heard that if that stupid idea failed then Kenny would for sure take care of it by the deadline, low and behold it's passed 3 o'clock on July 31st and we're stuck with the same bulls***. Whether anybody likes it or not, people have a right to be pissed about this and it goes back to spring training.

Exactly. Most of my anger isn't even about today. Stuff like Berkman rejecting a deal to us and Dunn falling through happens at the deadline. Even a risk like trading Hudson for Jackson because he might help our rotation happens, and although I disagree with that deal, I'm not overwhelmingly pissed about it.

The point is, had the offseason been done properly, we wouldn't be this desperate for a DH right now. And in addition to that, I think a lot of the anger today is coming from the fact that Viciedo (who could help the DH spot a bit) isn't getting nearly enough at bats there, and could very well be sent down as soon as Teahen is ready, which is not good.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
I bet if you compared 2005 offense (after Thomas went down) to the 2010 version, there's not much of a difference....if so, it's pretty negligible.

2005 this, 2005 that. Ill remember 2005 as some of the best moments in my young life, but to compare any team to that team is just flat out stupid. The game has changed, the division has changed, the team has changed, and yo ucant just say, "well our offense sucked then so it can suck now" and expect to have the same results.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
f*** Berkman than....the Cell needs to razz this s*** out of this f***er when he comes to town as a Yankee

Would you rather play for the White Sox or Yankees? Berkman wants his best chance to win a title, why fault him for it? He even apologized to KW. Christ don't take it so personal.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
f*** Berkman than....the Cell needs to razz this s*** out of this f***er when he comes to town as a Yankee

Why? I don't blame him for going to a super-team in the Yankees where they can throw money at him if they like him. At least he apologized to Kenny and explained that he wanted to go play w/ his friend Andy Pettite.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
That's why I said playing though, as those guys are untradeable.

But all of a sudden next year, we'll have a system with Mitchell/Thompson/Sale/Viciedo. Those are 4 really high upside guys as your potential top 4 prospects. Add in other guys like Flowers and Danks, who have strong tools and aren't bad guys to have in your top 6 or 7 prospects. I actually think our system might be a little better than some people think, its just two huge injuries really shrunk the depth for this season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
I do not think it would be the same bulls*** if KW would meet with Oz and Jerry and the three of them decide to dump Kotsay and give ALL the DH time to Viciedo/Teahen (mild yuk) and play Viciedo at third the other days.

I think the guy can hit.

greg, problem is that even though we'd all like that, the truth is the thought process with Ozzie is almost the total opposite

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
please share

So far a rehash of what we've already heard/read...

New GMs with a different way of doing business..

Wish we could have added an impact bat..

Felt like we improved our pitching...

Weren't going to make changes that would weaken our current team...

Wouldn't get rid of an up and comer (Viciedo) for a guy who might only be here two months

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see AJP and Castro brought back, and Flowers traded this offseason.

I could thnk of worse scenarios. I think AJ for sure shpould be brought back and Castro is showing a lot

KW says:

Wasn't going to take away from this club (obviously Viciedo) for a rental. Didn't believe they could sign Dunn because he claims they are strapped for cash (obviously that's questionable).

And that's all.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)

Are we as good as we were in 2005? Are we going to get as lucky this year as we did in 2005? I don't like to make the 2005 comparisons. Not only was that team really good, it was also really lucky.