White Sox make no last minute deals

southsider2k5

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
Unless we had a crystal ball with Pods, Vladdy and Aubrey Huff, we'd probably be in an even worse position had we gone with almost any other option out there for DH, because that money for Damon/Matsui (etc.) wouldn't have been available to add Edwin Jackson.

is this sarcasm?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
Buying at the deadline is a perfectly fine strategy, especially when there weren't a ton of great fits at the deadline. You guys all talk about Thome, but he isn't exactly a world beater. He'd clearly be a lot better than Kotsay but he still hasn't been that amazing and no one could have even assumed he'd put up the numbers he has thus far this year.

I liked some of the bats this off-season, but quite frankly, outside of Vladdy none of the cheaper DH options have lit the world on fire. I would have loved Matsui, he hasn't exactly been stellar either.

The reality is we don't have a huge budget and our team was built to have a studly rotation, good defense, and nice bullpen. That can win a whole lot of games and our offense isn't near as bad as it was for the first two months of the season. It has issues, but a lot of teams have issues.

Thome has a .401 wOBA (insanely high) in about 40 less PA than Kotsay this season. When comparing the production of each yeah, Thome's a world beater. I didn't see a .400 wOBA from Thome but I had him pegged at about .375 as part of a platoon (I broke this down more than a few times).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
and no home runs

That's the good thing about Jackson. His high ground ball rates fit this park and this team very well. With our infield having 3 plus defenders in Alexei, Omar, and Beckham on most nights, it will really help Jackson.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
When does Teahen come back again? If Kotsay is DFA'd when that happens and Viciedo is on the team, at least I'd have reason to think our team has some semblance of logic about it's everyday players.

True, but Kotsay is beloved in the clubhouse. He won't be DFA'd. We have to pray Lilly is sent down.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
I don't think people realize how talented Jackson is. He was once considered a top 5 prospect in all of baseball, made his major league debut when he was 19 and seems fully recovered from surgery. If they have found a flaw that's easily correctible, he's going to be a pretty popular guy.

Completely agree. He is still very young and this is a guy that every team in baseball would have loved to have at 19. The guy was one of the best young prospects of the past 5 years. He didn't live up to that hype and kind of faded away before finding himself in Tampa. He seems to have a resilient arm and has never really been a position where he's worked with top notch pitching coaches.

He is a good kid with a HUGE arm that is just 26. Cooper tends to have a decent track record of fixing guys and with his stuff, if he has even mediocre command he'll be a guy we really like. I also think he has the stuff to shut-down really good offensive teams come October and that is the big reason the Sox made this deal.

I don't think the Sox were going to go with Freddy or Hudson in October. Maybe Freddy but you have no idea what he'll have left than.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
I don't think the Sox were going to go with Freddy or Hudson in October. Maybe Freddy but you have no idea what he'll have left than.

I'd rather have Freddy on the mound than Jackson, as it stands right now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Mitchell is a year out. He'll spend all of next year in the minors and than if all goes well be ready. Agressive, certainly, possible, absolutely. Obviously it is very dependent on him being healthy though, which is a major ?.

Mitchell will have had 725 ABs between college and the minor leagues coming into next year. Count me way, way out of the group that thinks he's going to be anything other than a September call-up in 2012.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
When does Teahen come back again? If Kotsay is DFA'd when that happens and Viciedo is on the team, at least I'd have reason to think our team has some semblance of logic about it's everyday players.

Soon I hope. I'd like to see him in right field.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
If 3 other teams haven't corrected that flaw, then Cooper is better than any of us ever dreamed.

His Dodger career was hampered by injury and he was still not fully recovered with TB. He was pretty solid in 2008 though and 2009 with Detroit was pretty good. Something very subtle might make all the difference in the world. Carlos Silva went from garbage to fairly decent after he switched sides on the rubber. I don't think it really makes Rothschild a genius.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Jackson/Hudson exchange, but Jackson does have some huge upside.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
That wasn't just a typical team. The Rays had a very good rotation that year. They had about 6 quality starters.

Clearly, Jackson is better than Andy Sonanstine.

Shields isn't as good as he was back then either. Garza has been inconsistent but has some of the best stuff east of Gavin Floyd.

Back then you had Kazmir.....Niemann and Price coming fast.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
I don't think people realize how talented Jackson is. He was once considered a top 5 prospect in all of baseball, made his major league debut when he was 19 and seems fully recovered from surgery. If they have found a flaw that's easily correctible, he's going to be a pretty popular guy.

Jackson's ceiling is as high as any young right-hander in the game. He's got mad potential and some solid experience to build off of.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)

Unfortunately, from how I understand it, it will come down to a decision between Viciedo and Lilli being sent down...ridiculous, I agree....but unfortunately that will be the choice...

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
Did Jackson suffer at all from Arizona's awful bullpen and inherited runners scoring?

Not to mention the big defensive upgrade his about to see. I don't think it is a stretch to say that the difference on D could be worth a run every other game to Jackson.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
Soon I hope. I'd like to see him in right field.

Are you serious? Remember this post when you see how bad he is for us out there.

He's not a good outfielder as KC fans know all too well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
His Dodger career was hampered by injury and he was still not fully recovered with TB. He was pretty solid in 2008 though and 2009 with Detroit was pretty good. Something very subtle might make all the difference in the world. Carlos Silva went from garbage to fairly decent after he switched sides on the rubber.

Again, that's what happens when you have a BABIP run.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
I know the clubhouse is important, but Kotsay sucks and his position there shouldn't matter.

I agree with you but I don't see Ozzie making that move since he was a player and looks at the clubhouse thing.

The one thing that we'll have to see a change in relatively quickly...

Is the number of wild pitches Jackson throws.

Was leading the NL in that dubious category if I recall.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Mitchell is at least 2 years off. Missing a year is bad news for a guy like him. I get the idea he starts in high A and will be aggressively promoted to AA if he hits well, but that's it. Thompson will probably start next season in Kanny as well. This year has really been crap in terms of injuries.

If Mitchell hits in winter ball, he'll open the year in Birmingham. You can take that to the bank. The Sox love him and are going to move agressively with him. Thompson is the guy that is a few years out. He has a high bust-rate, where as I feel pretty confident that if healthy, Mitchell will have a long major league career. Whether that is as an all star or not is a whole other story, but Mitchell does a lot of things pretty good and the Sox player development group is a lot better than it was 4 years ago.

I'd personally like to see Teahen and Viciedo platoon at DH with Omar at 3rd when Mark comes back. If you want to put Mark in RF and give CQ some DH appearances to try to keep him healthy on days righties pitch, I'm fine with that since Teahen can't be any worse than Carlos out there. Anything like that works.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
I'd rather have Freddy on the mound than Jackson, as it stands right now.

Jackson has a rock solid Fip and Xfip. Having our defense behind him and playing in the cell will be very beneficial. Not to mention a regression to the means on his bad luck. Add in a potential mechanical flaw Coop might see and you might see major progress. Might not, but even as his, Jackson is a much more valuable pitcher than you give him credit for.