White Sox make no last minute deals

southsider2k5

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
Flowers might be gone this off-season and Danks is still a prospect.

Why would Flowers be gone this offseason? The team won't be cutting him, and no one else is going to overvalue him after having a poor season.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Time for addition by subtraction.... When Teahen gets back DFA Kotsay or Jones....

Unfortunately it's gonna be send Viciedo back to AAA :/

Exactly. This (along with the lack of AB's for Viciedo) is probably the most upsetting thing right now. If we DFA Kotsay when Teahen comes back and platoon Mark and pimp at DH with Omar at 3rd, I'd feel quite a bit better.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
It may ring hollow, but Jackson is a rental. He'll be traded this offseason for sure unless we trade Mark or we are freed of Paulie's contract, etc.

Jackson will not be traded this offseason unless it's for a hill of beans. No one wants to be the team to trade for a guy that 4 different teams have soured on in the space of 2 years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
I actually like Jones as a defensive replacement, occassional PH for $500k right now.

I actually agree and I dislike Jones. Nice to see him in there in the late innings in right.

Just release Kotsay (I know we can't, though, he's too good for clubhouse). We better send Lilly down and keep Viciedo up here.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
I actually agree and I dislike Jones. Nice to see him in there in the late innings in right.

Just release Kotsay (I know we can't, though, he's too good for clubhouse). We better send Lilly down and keep Viciedo up here.

Make Kotsay a bench coach.

In regards to Edwin Jackson, I wouldn't be super surprised if the Sox either extend him in the off-season and look at moving one of Floyd/Danks as they have a lot of money tied to the rotation, or if they swung him in an off-season deal for a younger bat. The key will be how Jackson pitches down the stretch.

However, I think the Sox are gonig to be in an interesting position, given that there most productive offensive bat is a FA at the end of the year (Konerko). Beckham should get better, Quentin seems to be pretty good since he got his mojo going in May/June and than there are guys like Ramirez and Rios who have been legitimate. The big question is who is next. If Viciedo can be one of those guys it gives the Sox a little more leeway to add another bat or two.

Mitchell is probably a year away as well.

I do think we have a rotation built to contend year in and year out and have a generally nice core of position players (Q, Becks, Ramirez, Rios, Viciedo).

Dunn wasn't going to resign anyways. Just say the Nationals wanted too much for a rental, so we said no. Don't bring up payroll constraints when you just acquired a pitcher who makes 8 million dollars next year and needs to be fixed. It rings hollow.

No it doesnt.

The Sox very well could have a payroll budget next year that allowed them to add $8mil in salary, but did not allow them to add #$20+ mil in salary. It doesnt ring hollow at all. Dunn at $15mil, is a hell of a lot different than Jackson at $8mil. First of all projections have Jackson at 10mil on open market, not to mention that even at his current productivity he probably would get 3-4mil, meaning that its only a 4-5 mil over pay (next year). This year Dunn would have cost almost that much in 2 months alone, let alone then having to give him over $50-60 mil to sign him long term.

Its way easier to pay $8mil one time and extend a budget, than it is for $15mil 4-5xs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
Why would Flowers be gone this offseason? The team won't be cutting him, and no one else is going to overvalue him after having a poor season.

THey might hold onto him, but they might move him. I think we have a few deals to make between now and than. Sox are going to probably break camp with Morel and Viciedo as every day players.

Maybe that is why Kenny wants Edwin Jackson, basically it ensures we have a super strong 5 man rotation to keep things close while the younger players develop and if everything goes well, next July, Kenny will be trying for that big bat again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
In regards to Edwin Jackson, I wouldn't be super surprised if the Sox either extend him in the off-season and look at moving one of Floyd/Danks as they have a lot of money tied to the rotation, or if they swung him in an off-season deal for a younger bat. The key will be how Jackson pitches down the stretch.

Extending Jackson?

Where's that "Shooting myself" smiley?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
Does it really matter? You and SS2K5 talk about how impossible we are to deal with. You guys are just as impossible. At least ranger gets paid to be a KW apologist. You guys do it for free.

I'm not apologizing for Kenny. I don't think you'll ever find me saying that not signing Thome was a good idea.

But I'm also not going to act like a spoiled 5 year old and cry about something that we have absolutely no hope of ever changing.

You guys are crucifying our FO for not making a move that no other GM in baseball made either. You have been insisting for the past week that IF we had other the tools available to us that all these other organizations with good farm systems have, we would be able to make a move like this no problem. And yet, none of those GMs made this move either.

I'm not trying to be a KW apologist, I am trying to be reasonable and use common sense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
THey might hold onto him, but they might move him. I think we have a few deals to make between now and than. Sox are going to probably break camp with Morel and Viciedo as every day players.

Maybe that is why Kenny wants Edwin Jackson, basically it ensures we have a super strong 5 man rotation to keep things close while the younger players develop and if everything goes well, next July, Kenny will be trying for that big bat again.

Two rookie starting position players? Who's the new manager?