Waiver Wire Thread

AWhiteSoxinNJ

Every player on every team will probably be placed on waivers. Your question is better phrased as will he pass through waivers unclaimed.

The answer is absolutely.

OK, gotcha. You would not see any potential value in Beltran if he went unclaimed until it was our turn? Especially if the Mets pick up salary? I assume they won´t at all but just sayin...

Edited by chisoxfan09

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
OK, gotcha. You would not see any potential value in Beltran if he went unclaimed until it was our turn? Especially if the Mets pick up salary? I assume they won´t at all but just sayin...

If we were to claim him, we would be responsible for the $25 million or so Beltran is owed over the next year and a half. Given his production and injury history, there is no way anyone is going to claim him.

Now after he passes through waivers, you might be able to work out a deal whereby the Mets eat $15-ish million of his remaining contract, but to be honest with you, Beltran is probably not going to bring you much more than Andruw Jones is offering you at just $500k this year.

But if you pick up those players on a claim, teams like like the Mets or Cubs would simply let those guys go just to get their contracts off the books.

There wouldn't be any negotiating...the only place that would come into play is if the teams wanted someone to take the contracts AND talent in return. Not saying that's the case with either Beltran or Fukudome, just that if they didn't want to make the trade SOLELY for the salary dump, they could also pull that player back.

If we were to claim him, we would be responsible for the $25 million or so Beltran is owed over the next year and a half. Given his production and injury history, there is no way anyone is going to claim him.

Now after he passes through waivers, you might be able to work out a deal whereby the Mets eat $15-ish million of his remaining contract, but to be honest with you, Beltran is probably not going to bring you much more than Andruw Jones is offering you at just $500k this year.

You are probably right. He is owed quite a bit of money and there is a chance his production is now going to suffer but time will tell. And adding to what you and Caulfield have said it will be a minefield to get to to even have the chance to look at Beltran (That is even if the Mets put him on waivers).

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
That's where I goofed up, the team waiving the player can rescind the waiver. A team making a claim can't rescind the claim.

So like I though, the only way to "block" someone from another team is to claim them yourself.

Or simply an upcoming free agent on a non-contender.

Not that I assume it likely, but can players' non-trade clauses come into play, like Derek Lee for example. Does he have any sort of "non-waive" rights?

That's a great question.

But if you pick up those players on a claim, teams like like the Mets or Cubs would simply let those guys go just to get their contracts off the books.

There wouldn't be any negotiating...the only place that would come into play is if the teams wanted someone to take the contracts AND talent in return. Not saying that's the case with either Beltran or Fukudome, just that if they didn't want to make the trade SOLELY for the salary dump, they could also pull that player back.

Caulfield, OT. What time is it in Shanghai? It is almost 8 AM here in Europe (Central time). I wold imagine you are 6/7 hours ahead of me which would make it about 2 or 3 PM.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Caulfield, OT. What time is it in Shanghai? It is almost 8 AM here in Europe (Central time). I wold imagine you are 6/7 hours ahead of me which would make it about 2 or 3 PM.

I'm actually in Thailand on vacation...1 minute from ocean, haha.

1257 pm now, roughly 2 pm in China.

Sometimes things shift around with DST, but I've always been 12 or 13 hours' time difference from Chicagoland...halfway around the world, although Chicago to Sydney is technically a lot further in terms of distance.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
I don't think it was a block either. But the Tigers, were in fact blocked by a team with a worse record coveting a player which could've been theirs. I also don't know who you speak to that tells you how thorough we are but I'd like to hear more about your source or your affiliation with the club. And it wasn't a 50-60 million dollar guess, what it was, was a guy worth X amount of dollars based on his current and previous play, a team wanting to shed his actual salary, a team with gaping whole at the position he played, and that team willing to take the GAMBLE that he could rebound to be worth close to his contract value.

Anyone follow the player values on some of the other websites? How much is he worth this season. Since he is having his best season potentially of his career, is it worth the money being paid or short or over? Just curious.

It was a guy that cost what his contract said he was worth and a team willing to assume the burden of that contract. Pretty simple. My "source" was tonight's Club documentary and it's segment on how much they study advanced metrics/trends

ahead of time on every acquisition and specifically, Rios.

fangraphs.com

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
It would be either - I believe they work essentially the same. If a player negotiates for no trade protection, he is protected from exactly that, being traded. Claiming a player on waivers still must technically result in a trade of that player for him to change teams. Otherwise, a player with no trade protection has no protection at all. A team could just place him on waivers and give him away for nothing if they wanted badly enough to get out from under the contract, and the player would be rendered powerless.

Now what a team could do is simply DFA the player and the player could then choose to sign with another team or choose to sit on his couch, but you cannot technically force a player with no trade protection to play for another team, as far as I understand.

Isn't that what happened with Rios?

Wikipedia:

Any player under contract may be placed on waivers at any time. If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference. In the first month of the season, preference is determined using the previous year's standings.

If a team claims a player off waivers and has the viable claim as described above, his current team (the "waiving team") may choose one of the following options:

* arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or

* rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or

* do nothing and allow the claiming team to (1) assume the player's existing contract, (2) pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and (3) place the player on its active major league roster.

If a player is claimed and the waiving team exercises its rescission option, the waiving team may not use the option again for that player in that season. If no team claims a player from waivers in three business days, the player has cleared waivers and may be assigned to a minor league team, traded, or released outright.

The waiver "wire" is a secret within the personnel of the Major League Baseball clubs; no announcement of a waiver is made until a transaction actually occurs. Many players are often quietly waived during the August "waiver-required" trading period to gauge trade interest in a particular player. Usually, when the player is claimed, the waiving team will rescind the waiver to avoid losing the player unless a trade can be worked out with the claiming team.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
Which makes it even more odd that they weren't willing to let him go yesterday.

I think that might have been answered already, but, one thing is Dodgers think they're still in it and might need him.

Second thing is Kenny offered Dodgers 1M and no players. Dodgers GM called that pocket change.

Dodgers GM said specifically he rather put Manny on waivers to see if anyone claims him therefor accepting his salary. The only thing I can't figure out is how does Ramirez situation work since $30M of his contract has been deferred, who is responsible for that once Manny is claimed?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 07:29 AM)
Dodgers GM said specifically he rather put Manny on waivers to see if anyone claims him therefor accepting his salary. The only thing I can't figure out is how does Ramirez situation work since $30M of his contract has been deferred, who is responsible for that once Manny is claimed?

AT this point, we really don't know, it depends on the deep details of how his contract is structured. If the Dodgers were required to escrow some of the funds in an interest-bearing account, then those funds have likely already been deposited for the majority of his contract and only a small chunk would be remaining. If it's set up instead as continuing payments after the end of his contract, then the team assuming the contract would assume all remaining payments.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 01:45 AM)

There's 1 other thing that can happen Caulfield...if a player like Beltran isn't claimed by anyone (possible), then the 2 teams can work out deals, including sending along money. The issue for the Sox would be...the only players they could send back would be players that can clear waivers themselves or players that aren't on the 40 man. Their best chip, Viciedo, is already on the 40 man roster and thus would have to clear waivers himself. He wouldn't. The best chip the Sox could offer would be either Morel or D2.

AL Central waiver candidates per MLB Traderumors.

Interesting that they brought up Peavy's name. I never really considered that as an option. If the Sox brass feel that he may never be the same pitcher again maybe they try to unload him? And it makes the Jackson deal even more interesting.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
He'll be put on waivers, no doubt. It would be interesting to see if someone did claim him with an eye on 2011. I really doubt that anyone would claim him.

Boston and NY have a limitless check book.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
What about Raul Ibanez? He'll have $11.5M due in 2011 along with ~$4M due this year. He's hitting really well lately(1.095 OPS since the ASB). I think if he clears waivers he could be a target.

With Victorino on the DL, the Phillies need him to play left field every day.

Edited by LittleHurt05

I know this might sound crazy but I almost would rather use a rotating platoon of the DH/1B/3B/OF with Viciedo, Vizquel, Lillibridge, Teahen and Jones than to pick up a very expensive player that's struggling or dinged up. With Kotsay out of the equation I think that rotation would work quite well and it's probably closer to what Kenny and Ozzie envisioned at the beginning of spring training.

Edited by BigSqwert

It's going to be interesting to see if Damon and Carlos Guillen make it through waivers.

Jose Guillen will get through probably.

Along with Peavy, the name Grady Sizemore is an interesting one...of course, none of those GM's (DD, Moore or the new Indians' GM) will make it easy on KW...well, I guess technically Shapiro's calling all the shots until the end of the season, right?

Finally, Mike Lowell, Wilson Betemit (that's ironic, that he might be more dangerous than Kotsay), Marcus Thames, Nick Johnson...some more names that might be available to the Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
He'll be put on waivers, no doubt. It would be interesting to see if someone did claim him with an eye on 2011. I really doubt that anyone would claim him.

No one will touch him. He's owed at the least about $42 million if you buy him out in 2013. No one on earth is going to risk that kind of money on a player whose return is in question.

But if someone did, I can imagine Kenny would try to extract a few names just to save face and call it a day...

When Nick Johnson finishes his rehab he will be heading for waivers or to be DFA'ed. Manny wont probably be placed on waivers for another couple weeks while the NL West picture shapes up a little more clearly. Lyle Overbay will be available and is someone the Jays may give away. Mike Lowell will be given away to anyone who will take on his salary. Russell Branyan, Travis Hafner, and Hideki Matsui could all likely be had as well. Other than Hafner, they all make sense in some way.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
AL Central waiver candidates per MLB Traderumors.

Interesting that they brought up Peavy's name. I never really considered that as an option. If the Sox brass feel that he may never be the same pitcher again maybe they try to unload him? And it makes the Jackson deal even more interesting.

Somebody over at another forum brought up the idea of Jason Bay for Jake Peavy.

Both make a similar amount of money over the next couple of years, Bay has an extra year of obligation.

Depending on how Jackson progresses, I wouldn't be all that against such a swap.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Somebody over at another forum brought up the idea of Jason Bay for Jake Peavy.

Both make a similar amount of money over the next couple of years, Bay has an extra year of obligation.

Depending on how Jackson progresses, I wouldn't be all that against such a swap.

The problem with that is then the Mets are basically paying out $40-45 million a year just to Jake Peavy and Johan Santana...and they still have no OFs worth a damn, especially if you assume Beltran will suffer another semi-major injury as he always does.

I don't think such a trade is worth it for the Mets...