Waiver Wire Thread

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
Yea but he can easily just pull him back. The Nats are still trying to resign this guy, and they won't lose him for nothing. They will gladly take the Type A picks and move on if it came to that. They have been trying to re-sign him for a while.

Exactly. At that point, no one can deal with Rizzo.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:17 AM)
So that means that Rizzo is free to trade Dunn wherever he wants to? I wonder why the Sox didn't try and claim him... ?

Who would the Sox trade for him? They aren't trading Beckham, Viciedo, or Jackson for him at this point. It would be a waste of time talking to Rizzo. I doubt he'd take Kotsay straight up for Dunn :lol:

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
picked this up from motownsports.com ....who knows if its true...."Dickerson on radio with the claim the Dunn has cleared waivers...."

No f***ing way. He's a FA after the year, so its not like his salary could handicap a team like Rios could have. Too many teams could use him that I have a hard time believing he would just go unclaimed.

What are the odds that the Tigers waive Johnny Damon... and then that KW scoops him up ala Rios?

Don't think there will be too many other teams standing in line for him.

And teams that could block us are unlikely to take the risk just in case the Tigers chose to let him go.

Just a thought...

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
What are the odds that the Tigers waive Johnny Damon... and then that KW scoops him up ala Rios?

And teams that could block us are unlikely to take the risk just in case the Tigers chose to let him go.

Just a thought...

Would be the perfect RF/DH rotation with Carlos.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)

Just a thought...

The odds of Detroit waiving Damon are 100%. The odds of him clearing are zero. They won't let him go for nothing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
The odds of Detroit waiving Damon are 100%. The odds of him clearing are zero. They won't let him go for nothing.

Not sure what they could ask for since they only control him through the end of this year. Not much if anything I would guess.

On the other hand, if they let him walk they probably save about $1.5M. And if they're not competing in September, chances are Comerica will be a ghost town. $1.5M in savings might be pretty compelling.

So... who knows... it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by scenario

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
Shockingly LaRoche has turned it on in the second half: .319/.359/.571/.931. It's just unbelievable how consistent he is from year to year with his second half performance.

That wouldn't mesh well with our annual August/September sinking ship.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Adam Laroche just cleared waivers, what are we waiting for?

Link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/adam...rs-waivers.html

You would think if KW had any interest at all he would have put a claim in on him. Otherwise why risk Minny or TB putting a claim in? It seems like he has his heart set on getting Manny when he is placed on waivers.

You would think if KW had any interest at all he would have put a claim in on him. Otherwise why risk Minny or TB putting a claim in? It seems like he has his heart set on getting Manny when he is placed on waivers.

It would make better sense to go after Laroche as he is left handed but I understand the desire for Manny who thrives on the big stage. But Laroche will cost next to nothing and does not have any club house issues.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
It would make better sense to go after Laroche as he is left handed but I understand the desire for Manny who thrives on the big stage. But Laroche will cost next to nothing and does not have any club house issues.

It is just crazy for the Sox to not move on LaRoche. Manny would be pure Kenny, but there are to many unknowns with him and no time to lose.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Adam Laroche just cleared waivers, what are we waiting for?

Link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/adam...rs-waivers.html

His 2010 contract is $4.5 million, so thats about $1.5 he is still owed this season. $7.5 mutual option next season (9.5 if traded) or a $1.5 million buyout. So at the worse he would cost you about $3 million. Why the f*** wouldn't you claim him? If you get "stuck" with him, it doesn't really hurt you financially and he always mashes in the second half.

There's gotta be a reason why nobody claimed him. As surprised as I am that the Sox didn't, I'm just as surprised that no other contender did either. The Braves? Red Sox? Rays?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
There's gotta be a reason why nobody claimed him. As surprised as I am that the Sox didn't, I'm just as surprised that no other contender did either. The Braves? Red Sox? Rays?

Well, the Red Sox have a history with him that isn't entirely positive...the Braves, OTOH, have a very positive history with him.

Well, the Red Sox have a history with him that isn't entirely positive...the Braves, OTOH, have a very positive history with him.

The Braves, according to MLBTR are on the verge of trading for Derrick Lee from the Cubs so I wonder if they are considering Laroche to be the same type of pick up. Lee also cleared waivers.

Edited by chisoxfan09