Daniel Hudson watch thread

fathom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)

Jackson is a talented pitcher, but he's on his fifth major league team before the age of 27. He's a nice piece at the back end of the rotation, but will make more than $8 million next season.

This starts me to ? Kenny's wisdom no this. Is this another "Coop can fix" guy?

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
Is this another "Coop can fix" guy?

Yes. I don't think this deal gets off the drawing board if it wasn't a guy that Cooper had already told KW he could work with. He had a set of instant changes ready for the guy to start working on in throwing sessions, and so far they've been productive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
His stuff isn't good enough to totally dominate the NL, but an ERA in the low 3's in the NL is, IMO, entirely reasonable for him.

Which is fine. I'm not threatened by that. Look what Garland is doing at age 30 with somewhat poor peripherals. Jackson seems to be capable of putting up a sub 4 ERA for us.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
Which is fine. I'm not threatened by that. Look what Garland is doing at age 30 with somewhat poor peripherals. Jackson seems to be capable of putting up a sub 4 ERA for us.

To me, a sub 4 ERA in the AL is roughly equivalent in performance to a somewhat-above-3 ERA in the NL, give or take a reasonable error.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
To me, a sub 4 ERA in the AL is roughly equivalent in performance to a somewhat-above-3 ERA in the NL, give or take a reasonable error.

That's why I used that number. Jackson and Hudson are similar caliber pitchers. The only problem I have with the deal is the money we are paying Jackson vs. Hudson.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
That's why I used that number. Jackson and Hudson are similar caliber pitchers. The only problem I have with the deal is the money we are paying Jackson vs. Hudson.

Not to mention the # of years of team control.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
Not to mention the # of years of team control.

If we had some confidence that Jackson would come out next year as a type A free agent, that does help balance it somewhat in my mind...but I still want a couple playoff wins before I say it's worth it

Good fight in the last page or so. However I am not sure anyone hit upon the main part of the value of Edwin vs Hudson during the decision making process. KW did not want a rookie in the rotation because of the POSSIBLE strain it would put on the bullpen working Freddy and then Huddy back to back. Hudson was more of an unknown and was showing a propensity to throw alot of pitches early. Edwin was a guy that could possibly go deep into game with at least the same results thus making the bullpen fresher for the stretch run.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
This is off topic, but I get a chubby thinking of a rotation next year of Danks, Floyd, Edwin, Buehrle, and hopefully a healthy Peavy. Chris Sale as back up.

I try and get excited about it, but I was excited about this years rotation last off-season too.

Buehrle has been so inconsistent since 2006 really, you don't know which Floyd is going to show up, the one from June-Mid-Aug or the one from April-May? Peavy's health and Apr-May performance is a concern, Jackson is still a ?, and Danks, as great as he's been at points this season seems to suffer from lack of run support and has for all his years here and still can't seem to be economical with this pitch count, He can't keep being at 75-80 pitches in the 5th...

If they are all on their game next year and the stars align it will be something to marvel...

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
I try and get excited about it, but I was excited about this years rotation last off-season too.

Buehrle has been so inconsistent since 2006 really, you don't know which Floyd is going to show up, the one from June-Mid-Aug or the one from April-May? Peavy's health and Apr-May performance is a concern, Jackson is still a ?, and Danks, as great as he's been at points this season seems to suffer from lack of run support and has for all his years here and still can't seem to be economical with this pitch count, He can't keep being at 75-80 pitches in the 5th...

If they are all on their game next year and the stars align it will be something to marvel...

Over the past 3 3/4 seasons, Mark Buehrle has averaged a 3.78 ERA, 211.2 IP, and a 1.29 WHIP, and none of those have deviated more than a few points. His strikeout rate has begun to dwindle, but he's been very consistent since 2006.

Floyd has been inconsistent within seasons, but he will typically give 10-12 great outings, 10-12 good outings, and 10-12 mediocre to bad outings. He's a perfectly acceptable #2-3 starter.

Peavy's health has been a question, but he was beginning to turn his season around before he went out. Hopefully he can be healthy and ready to go by opening day, but so long as he's healthy, he should be good.

Jackson is only a question mark because you don't know if you'll get a great starter or a mediocre starter. Assuming no one is traded, he'll end up acting as the Javier Vazquez of the 2006 season, in that you acquire him to be the #5 starter, but he has the potential to be one of the two best starters.

Danks averaged 6 inning a start in 08 and 09, but has averaged 6.2 IP per start this year, which is a 215.2 IP pace over 32 starts (or almost 223 innings if he makes a 33rd). He isn't at fault for a lack of run support, the offense is.

The rotation is going to be fine next year. Putting together an offense that will score a few runs will be the more important task.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 07:47 PM)
Horrible trade from day one. If you don't agree with me or think I'm an idiot, at least you can credit me for consistency.

You will be eating crow next year when EJax goes 25-2 with an 1.43 ERA

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Yes. I don't think this deal gets off the drawing board if it wasn't a guy that Cooper had already told KW he could work with. He had a set of instant changes ready for the guy to start working on in throwing sessions, and so far they've been productive.

Coop needs to fix the pen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 01:45 AM)
The two best pitchers in baseball the last month have been Jackson and Hudson. Go figure.

Have you looked at the AL pitching stats for August? There's 4 guys who have been absolutely filthy including Jackson. Cahill in Oakland, King Felix, and Buchholz.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
I'll take Jackson but I really think that pitchers can thrive with weaker stuff in the NL. I don't know why I just do.

That's pretty obvious considering that NL teams substitute a great hitter (DH) for a non-hitter (pitcher), and usually build team around less power and more speed.