The Stealth Elf does it again!

knightni

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:23 AM)
If you haven't noticed, AJ doesn't exactly have many fans around here right now other than Greg. Everyone's been pulling for Castro to get as many PAs as possible. So don't think AJ's ineptitude has gone unnoticed. But at least AJ serves a purpose defensively! Kotsay serves basically no purpose, other than to cheer up Gordo when he's feeling bad about only getting laid twice the day before.

AJ doesn't get as much hate because he has been rock solid defensively and calls a great game for our pitching staff. I'm sure others here would actually like to have him hit and not have, which will probably be, the worst offensive year of his career (unless he really goes Joe Mauer on us from here on out) not to mention having a very low BABIP, but A.J. is not a big problem (+0.5 WAR) at all even with all that and he serves a purpose. I cannot say the same thing about Mark Kotsay other than playing a good 1B every once in a while when Konerko is off. Ozzie talks about flexibility from him... then why hasn't he been in the OF that much, and when he is, why is he so terrible? If you are going to be terrible on the field, at least be good with the bat (and vice-versa) and if Ozzie wants flexibility, a guy only playing one position is not his guy when you have guys like Jones, Lillibridge and Teahen who will and have played multiple. (though brutal defensively, at least gives you a solid bat and has to play cause of salary) Hell even Dayan can play 1B/3B.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 12:16 AM)
I don't have the numbers on this, but I would guarantee that he's not the worst violator on the team as far as stranding runners. I'd venture to say that AJ, at least, is as bad as it gets.

A.J.

BRSP% (baserunner scoring percentage) 14%

PA less than 2 out baserunners scored: 42%

PA runner on second and runner advances: 55%

GIDP rate and into: 18% 10 (333 PA)

2 outs and RISP: .344/.447/.563/1.010

Late and close: .188/.220/.333/.553

Overall RISP: .260/.321/.384/.705

Kotsay

BRSP% (baserunner scoring percentage) 10%

PA less than 2 out baserunners scored: 46%

PA runner on second and runner advances: 52%

GIDP rate and into: 16% 8 (253 PA)

2 outs and RISP: .160/.222/.360/.582

Late and close: .133/.278/.167/.444

Overall RISP: .148/.281/.315/.596

Edited by J.Reedfan8

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand baseball is build on pitching and defense but if Ranger saying we win or lose because of pitching is a little too much.

If we go on and lose a series in the playoffs 1:0, 2:0, 1:0 would you go on and say we lost because of the pitching? Teams need to score runs to win games, and I think it falls equal on pitching and hitting. Let's assume Adam Dunn was trader here on Saturday, do you think Kenny would keep Kotsay on the roster? I don't think so.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:52 AM)
I understand baseball is build on pitching and defense but if Ranger saying we win or lose because of pitching is a little too much.

If we go on and lose a series in the playoffs 1:0, 2:0, 1:0 would you go on and say we lost because of the pitching? Teams need to score runs to win games, and I think it falls equal on pitching and hitting. Let's assume Adam Dunn was trader here on Saturday, do you think Kenny would keep Kotsay on the roster? I don't think so.

If we're shut out, yes, I'd say we lost because of pitching. We lost because the other team flat out pitched better than us.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
If we're shut out, yes, I'd say we lost because of pitching. We lost because the other team flat out pitched better than us.

:lolhitting

Ok Balta. People would be complaining about our pitching in a 1-0 loss. That's a reasonable statement.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:23 AM)
If you haven't noticed, AJ doesn't exactly have many fans around here right now other than Greg. Everyone's been pulling for Castro to get as many PAs as possible. So don't think AJ's ineptitude has gone unnoticed. But at least AJ serves a purpose defensively! Kotsay serves basically no purpose, other than to cheer up Gordo when he's feeling bad about only getting laid twice the day before.

Exactly. Even though AJ is an absolute abomination offensively right now (about Kotsay's equal in that regard), at least he contributes by calling a good game behind the plate for a very good pitching staff. Additionally, you're right in that most people here want Castro to get a lot more chances at the catcher position even despite that. I guess I can see why Kotsay is still on the roster now, but he absolutely has ZERO purpose or reason to be on this team once Teahen is back. But sadly, I'm sure he still will be.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Exactly. Even though AJ is an absolute abomination offensively right now (about Kotsay's equal in that regard), at least he contributes by calling a good game behind the plate for a very good pitching staff. Additionally, you're right in that most people here want Castro to get a lot more chances at the catcher position even despite that. I guess I can see why Kotsay is still on the roster now, but he absolutely has ZERO purpose or reason to be on this team once Teahen is back. But sadly, I'm sure he still will be.

At the very least give Castro more starts against LHP.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:54 AM)
AJ doesn't get as much hate because he has been rock solid defensively and calls a great game for our pitching staff. I'm sure others here would actually like to have him hit and not have, which will probably be, the worst offensive year of his career (unless he really goes Joe Mauer on us from here on out) not to mention having a very low BABIP, but A.J. is not a big problem (+0.5 WAR) at all even with all that and he serves a purpose. I cannot say the same thing about Mark Kotsay other than playing a good 1B every once in a while when Konerko is off. Ozzie talks about flexibility from him... then why hasn't he been in the OF that much, and when he is, why is he so terrible? If you are going to be terrible on the field, at least be good with the bat (and vice-versa) and if Ozzie wants flexibility, a guy only playing one position is not his guy when you have guys like Jones, Lillibridge and Teahen who will and have played multiple. (though brutal defensively, at least gives you a solid bat and has to play cause of salary) Hell even Dayan can play 1B/3B.

A.J.

BRSP% (baserunner scoring percentage) 14%

PA less than 2 out baserunners scored: 42%

PA runner on second and runner advances: 55%

GIDP rate and into: 18% 10 (333 PA)

2 outs and RISP: .344/.447/.563/1.010

Late and close: .188/.220/.333/.553

Overall RISP: .260/.321/.384/.705

Kotsay

BRSP% (baserunner scoring percentage) 10%

PA less than 2 out baserunners scored: 46%

PA runner on second and runner advances: 52%

GIDP rate and into: 16% 8 (253 PA)

2 outs and RISP: .160/.222/.360/.582

Late and close: .133/.278/.167/.444

Overall RISP: .148/.281/.315/.596

It's amazing what your eyes don't see, isn't it? A.J.'s actually been quite good with RISP and 2 outs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
It's amazing what your eyes don't see, isn't it? A.J.'s actually been quite good with RISP and 2 outs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
32 at bats, 4 2b, 1 HR, 11 hits.

It is not hard... to be worse than Mark Kotsay with RISP overall.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 12:48 AM)
So Mark Kotsay may cost the White Sox the division all by himself? That's ridiculous.

Again, these season will be won or lost on pitching and there's no way around it. If they don't pitch well, they will not win anything.

You know, Mark Kotsay does have quite a negative WAR (I think it's -0.8). And UZR has given him credit for his defense, but his hitting is just so bad...

The constant defense of Mark Kotsay is getting old. He sucks, there is no defending a .650 OPS from the DH spot, none.

And this whole luck crap? Even if Mark Kotsay wasn't unlucky, xBABIP has him at .270ish because he's got a 16% line drive percentage and he hits weak ground balls and fly balls frequently. So even if he wasn't unlucky, he'd be a .260ish hitter with a .750 OPS. You want that as your DH for 1/3 of your games? I sure as hell don't.

The constant defense of Mark Kotsay is getting old. He sucks, there is no defending a .650 OPS from the DH spot, none.

Ranger's arguments were new, not old, and rather interesting involving the chemistry aspect of baseball. I welcome any chance to learn more about the clubhouse and some takes from those on the inside. I'd rather have Viciedo than Kotsay, Teahen and/or Lillibridge though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
Ranger's arguments were new, not old, and rather interesting involving the chemistry aspect of baseball. I welcome any chance to learn more about the clubhouse and some takes from those on the inside. I'd rather have Viciedo than Kotsay, Teahen and/or Lillibridge though.

If you can convince Ozzie that Kotsay shouldn't be starting against right handed pitchers, the Sox can afford to keep him. But when Teahen gets back, Kotsay may cost Viciedo or Lillibridge a spot on the team. Both of those have done positive things for the team on the field.

I do believe that Kotsay brings good chemistry and the guys on the team like him, but you can't risk on-field performance. The team is here to win ball games, not to make friends.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
If you can convince Ozzie that Kotsay shouldn't be starting against right handed pitchers, the Sox can afford to keep him. But when Teahen gets back, Kotsay may cost Viciedo or Lillibridge a spot on the team. Both of those have done positive things for the team on the field.

I do believe that Kotsay brings good chemistry and the guys on the team like him, but you can't risk on-field performance. The team is here to win ball games, not to make friends.

Put him on the damn DL and let him travel with the team...who cares...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)

I agree with you.

I just thought Ranger's arguments were a new perspective on the matter or one with a little insight since he has naturally has sources on the team and in the clubhouse. The bottom line probably is he's not going anywhere.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
I just thought Ranger's arguments were a new perspective on the matter or one with a little insight since he has naturally has sources on the team and in the clubhouse. The bottom line probably is he's not going anywhere.

Whatever. Jim Thome is the ultimate clubhouse guy and they had no problem dumping him yet they can't find it in them to get rid of a terrible player like Kotsay?! Bizarro world.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)

Hire Kotsay as an expensive coach if he's so great for chemistry. The chemistry argument is the last bastion for defending a bad player. You can use it to defend any personnel move. Maybe we should just assume that Ozzie and Kenny know best about everything and then have only descriptive (not prescriptive) discussions on here.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
Whatever. Jim Thome is the ultimate clubhouse guy and they had no problem dumping him yet they can't find it in them to get rid of a terrible player like Kotsay?! Bizarro world.

You were never in that clubhouse, the guys hated Jim Thome for being too nice. Ozzie Guillen doesn't like nice guys, they finish last. Grinders, on the other hand.... :lolhitting

Edited by chw42