August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
Ozzie likes Kotsay and so called baseball experts say he brings a lot to the team. I don't know about that, but my guess is he continues to play. Teahan will stay in the minors until the last possible moment.

Right now, Viciedo is not making a strong case for keeping him up.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 08:38 PM)
Right now, Viciedo is not making a strong case for keeping him up.

He needs to go down for a few weeks and play every day and then come back up on September 1st. Love what i've seen out of him all things considered, and am still excited about his potential, but the past week it's been made clear he isnt ready for every day major league duties.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
He needs to go down for a few weeks and play every day and then come back up on September 1st. Love what i've seen out of him all things considered, and am still excited about his potential, but the past week it's been made clear he isnt ready for every day major league duties.

I think there'd be no problem with keeping him in the big leagues...if we were the Royals or Indians. But this team is in a legit pennant race right now...developing young guys' ability to adapt to big league pitching has to be a secondary concern to winning games. We can't afford to waste outs right now on anyone except Kotsay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
I think there'd be no problem with keeping him in the big leagues...if we were the Royals or Indians. But this team is in a legit pennant race right now...developing young guys' ability to adapt to big league pitching has to be a secondary concern to winning games. We can't afford to waste outs right now on anyone except Kotsay.

I agree. At least he was making contact when he first came up. He had 6 Ks in his first 63 ABs. In his last 15 ABs, he has 9 Ks & one hit (HR vs. DET).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 06:58 AM)

Which is exactly why Ozzie has been hiding him in selected duty...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
Which is exactly why Ozzie has been hiding him in selected duty...

I think part of the problem also was that Ozzie buried him when he was hot. Dayan was killing the ball then he didnt play for 3-4 games, got a game in, didnt play.

They need to give him more consistent time than that or send him down. His up and in hole is really exposed now, he needs to lay off if he wants to stick in the bigs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
I think part of the problem also was that Ozzie buried him when he was hot. Dayan was killing the ball then he didnt play for 3-4 games, got a game in, didnt play.

They need to give him more consistent time than that or send him down. His up and in hole is really exposed now, he needs to lay off if he wants to stick in the bigs

That's what I've said all along - that Dayan should only stay up until Teahen is back. I just thought Teahen would be back sooner.

Viciedo will go down, and come back on 9/1, which should be good.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)

All that would have done is exposed him quicker.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)

Damned if you do; damned if you don't. That's why managers earn/deserve the big bucks. Ozzie plays him a ton and he goes 0 for 20, he's a bum for rushing him; Ozzie doesn't play him and he hits when he does play him, Ozzie's a bum for not playing him more. Personally I still think he should play every day and have somebody work with him as well. He has the talent. What's he going to learn in the minors? They will demand he take pitches?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
I didn't catch last night's game, thankfully. Did any of our pitchers throw at them or did we play with our tail between our legs again ala Jamie Burke style?

The only HBP in the game were Quentin and Beckham. Ozzie of course made a deal of having another "I'm gonna throw at everyone!" press statement before not doing so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
The only HBP in the game were Quentin and Beckham. Ozzie of course made a deal of having another "I'm gonna throw at everyone!" press statement before not doing so.

Ozzie is all bark and no bite.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
How many times do we have to see another team push us around? We come off as a bunch of pansies.

Most of the time, frankly, I'd rather not give up the free baserunner just to be that way.

Last night, for example...the Twins had enough baserunners. Of course, if we could have done jack squat with the bases loaded...that wouldn't have mattered.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
How many times do we have to see another team push us around? We come off as a bunch of pansies.

When you load the bases three times and only score one run, of course you will come off as pansies. Hit the f***ing ball when it matters, and those side games will take care of themselves.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)

I couldn't agree more.

And not that I want us to be the aggressors, but it always seems that other teams will plunk one of our guys if things start going badly for them. They don't seem to have any fear of doing so, yet I never see a Sox pitcher do the exact same thing.