August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
The lineup is definitely solid. Their rotation is better, but I still wouldn't feel that confident heading into a playoff series with them. The end of the bullpen would be a major concern to me as well. Then again, the more I look at NYY/TB/TEX, I do see some major flaws as well, but I just personally don't think the Twins stack up to them overall.

Here's a fun stat.

AL team bullpen ERA's this year:

1. Minnesota

2. Tampa Bay

3. Texas

4. NY Yankees

5. Chicago White Sox

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
Here's a fun stat.

AL team bullpen ERA's this year:

1. Minnesota

2. Tampa Bay

3. Texas

4. NY Yankees

5. Chicago White Sox

Wow. I would much prefer Rivera, Soriano, or Feliz over Capps/Rauch at the end of a playoff game, but I stand corrected about their bullpen.

Funny how the top 4 bullpens are the top 4 teams. I'm sure the Padres bullpen is #1 in the NL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
Really? Tonight was the worst loss of the season? I can pick about 4 that I think were worse just against Minnesota.

I think this loss is more significant than most because it shows we don't have "it." Minnesota gets beat again and we can't beat Baltimore at home. Just shows we don't have what it takes against AL teams not named Seattle to put anything together. It was right there for us to pick up the games that we lost head to head vs. Minnie. No better scenario: They vs. Texas. Us vs. pathetic Baltimore. And we have no chance in the game at home. Very very bad loss.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
I think this loss is more significant than most because it shows we don't have "it." Minnesota gets beat again and we can't beat Baltimore at home. Just shows we don't have what it takes against AL teams not named Seattle to put anything together. It was right there for us to pick up the games that we lost head to head vs. Minnie. No better scenario: They vs. Texas. Us vs. pathetic Baltimore. And we have no chance in the game at home. Very very bad loss.

No chance? Sox had the tying run up more than once, you make it sound like a blow-out.

You can't live and die with single games. If we win tonight, we take the series, and will have gained 1.5 or 2.5 games on the lead over that series.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
I wonder why none of the announcers ever call him that.

Well, his first year in the bigs he didn't make a big deal of it, possibly because of the language barrier too. I first heard of him telling people that the s-sound was correct prior to 2009.

News from a different Ramirez

August, 27, 2010

Aug 27

3:31

PM CT

* Email

* Print

* Comments

By Doug Padilla

CHICAGO -- In a non-Manny Ramirez-related topic, we give thanks to STATS LLC (better known as STATS Inc.) for this little gem on a Ramirez of a different kind, shortstop Alexei:

Alexei Ramirez leads the American League in runs scored in the second half despite a relatively average .331 on-base percentage. Ramirez has 34 runs scored in 40 second-half games batting mostly out of the No. 8 hole.

Chalk it up the second-half resurgence of both No. 9 hitter Gordon Beckham and leadoff man Juan Pierre. Beckham has driven in Ramirez nine times since the break, while Pierre has brought him home seven times since then.

That means Beckham and Pierre have produced half of the 32 RBIs that have driven in Ramirez in the second half.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
From Peter Gammons' twitter.....

pgammo

One club's defensive metrics has Alexei Ramirez "far and away" the best defensive SS in AL this season.

Every defensive metric alive has Alexei as the best defensive SS in the AL, if not in all of baseball.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Where's Cubano when you need him? His 2 favorite Cuban White Sox have been earning plenty of praise this year.

I believe he was seen taking his talents to Cincinnati, Ohio.

Chapman fever.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
@jcrasnick: According to the scouting grapevine, White Sox bench coach Joey Cora has emerged as a strong candidate for the Seattle managing job.

No big surprise there. Joey put in some good playing years up there.