August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
3 separate innings, with the top of the innings taking probably 20 minutes each = time for a new reliever. Something clearly was not right with Thornton in that last inning, as his first fastball was only 92 mph. It was a bad decision at the time, and now with Thornton being unavailable, it's an even worse decision.

Which he had done before. Is it written somewhere that he'll spontaneously combust at 3 innings?

I'll ask again, who should have pitched? Linebrink? I wouldn't trust Linebrink to pitch in my softball league. At that point, it was a huge game. You leave your best (and at the only time only decent) reliever in there. Starters go on 3 days rest in big games, sometimes a reliever has to step up and go.

I'm just sick of the absolutes on this forum. "well if he took him out before, he doesn't get injured" "if he pinch hits there we win the game". Buncha bulls***. If Thornton doesn't throw those extra 3 devastating pitches he doesn't get hurt? Stupid. If Putz doesn't throw 2 more pitches his knee doesn't get hurt? Bulls***. Normal injuries don't f***ing work like that. If he got hit in the head with a line drive, then you could maybe say that, not if its a normal "wear and tear" injury that would have happened the next time out.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 03:56 AM)
Which he had done before. Is it written somewhere that he'll spontaneously combust at 3 innings?

Him pitching that much enhances the chances of him not being as efficient, as well as possibly leading to injury. Both happened to occur. Is it related to that outing? You never know...but I guarantee that outing didn't make any of the soreness he had feel better. The Tribune is reporting tomorrow that he's likely going to the DL.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 04:56 AM)

I'll ask again, who should have pitched? Linebrink? I wouldn't trust Linebrink to pitch in my softball league. At that point, it was a huge game. You leave your best (and at the only time only decent) reliever in there. Starters go on 3 days rest in big games, sometimes a reliever has to step up and go.

I'm just sick of the absolutes on this forum. "well if he took him out before, he doesn't get injured" "if he pinch hits there we win the game". Buncha bulls***. If Thornton doesn't throw those extra 3 devastating pitches he doesn't get hurt? Stupid. If Putz doesn't throw 2 more pitches his knee doesn't get hurt? Bulls***. Normal injuries don't f***ing work like that. If he got hit in the head with a line drive, then you could maybe say that, not if its a normal "wear and tear" injury that would have happened the next time out.

Jenky Cat is becoming my idol.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
Jenky Cat is becoming my idol.

Because he constantly defends Ozzie, too? I'm not sure why everyone can't see that Ozzie has made a lot of bad managerial decisions this year. The arguments of late regarding the injuries to Putz and Thornton have me scratching my head. Regardless of the number of pitches Thornton threw, he is not a 2+ inning pitcher. I'm not saying that caused his injury, but it certainly didn't help.

All in all, there is way too much sniping going on here lately. There are too many posters just waiting for someone else to post something they can argue about. Discussions and disagreements are fine, that's what makes this site fun. But to call each other stupid or clueless or other inflammatory words is getting old. Take it easy guys. Yes, our team sucks right now, but let's not take it out on each other.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
Maybe. Maybe not. It would be a damn smart move though and we'd all be praising Ozzie if he did that.

No I wouldn't. There are plenty of times games get played when people don't expect it. If our technology was so great, than why are weather men wrong quite often. The fact of the matter is, while you have info to predict, you don't know for sure what might happen and when you are told to start the game, you start it.

Ozzie and every other manager in baseball would do it. At this point, you are just second guessing to second guess.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
No I wouldn't. There are plenty of times games get played when people don't expect it. If our technology was so great, than why are weather men wrong quite often. The fact of the matter is, while you have info to predict, you don't know for sure what might happen and when you are told to start the game, you start it.

Ozzie and every other manager in baseball would do it. At this point, you are just second guessing to second guess.

We're not talking about the 5 day forecast. I'm referring to looking at live radar an hour before the game. Bossard and his crew are excellent at timing when storms will hit and have delayed many games because of the live radar.

Ok, can somebody answer this for me? Was Aug. 29th always the day set to retire Frank's number? I could have sworn it was originally set to be the 28th not the 29th? Did this change at sometime?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
We're not talking about the 5 day forecast. I'm referring to looking at live radar an hour before the game. Bossard and his crew are excellent at timing when storms will hit and have delayed many games because of the live radar.

One bit of it that would have been fun if Linebrink or someone like that had been sent out there is that it would have been an open act of disrespect towards Joe West and his crew. "You tell me the game will happen, but the weatherman says different? I don't trust you."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
One bit of it that would have been fun if Linebrink or someone like that had been sent out there is that it would have been an open act of disrespect towards Joe West and his crew. "You tell me the game will happen, but the weatherman says different? I don't trust you."

Knowing West he would have ejected Ozzie for showing him up...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
Knowing West he would have ejected Ozzie for showing him up...

I don't think he could in that case, even if he'd wanted to. Doesn't the manager have the right to change pitchers pretty much at any point until the lineups are handed in?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Because he constantly defends Ozzie, too? I'm not sure why everyone can't see that Ozzie has made a lot of bad managerial decisions this year. The arguments of late regarding the injuries to Putz and Thornton have me scratching my head. Regardless of the number of pitches Thornton threw, he is not a 2+ inning pitcher. I'm not saying that caused his injury, but it certainly didn't help.

All in all, there is way too much sniping going on here lately. There are too many posters just waiting for someone else to post something they can argue about. Discussions and disagreements are fine, that's what makes this site fun. But to call each other stupid or clueless or other inflammatory words is getting old. Take it easy guys. Yes, our team sucks right now, but let's not take it out on each other.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)

I agree about the sniping. It's been a bad bad season for soxtalk message boards.

As far as the weather, guys, trust me on this one. KC has had the threat of pop up storms the past month. It's been 100 every day and we are getting storms. On the last homestand we had several downpours 40 minutes from Kauffman and Kauffman ultimately got nothing. There's no way Oz can play God and predict the weather and f***ing start Linebrink because he's convinced the game will be called.

Blame thje modern p**** handling of pitchers that Jackson could not be used in the DH. Don't blame Oz for starting him because he should have known there ultimately was going to be a rainout.

That's just stupid in my book.

The game started and we are in a part of the country where storms come and go. They are UNPREDICTABLE.

I guess you just won't believe me and I live out here.

We have had MANY STORMS that didn't Topeka, Lawrence, Olathe and never hit the K.

If they canceled every game where storms were coming then the Royals wouldn't have a season.

Why you believe Ozzie should have played God and started Linebrink is beyond me. They started the f***ing game. You play the cards given you. It's modern baseball's fault Jackson couldn't go in the DH. It's f***ing absurd that pitcher's can't pitch the following day after merely warming up and throwing a few pitches. But that's the way it is.

The fault of this matter goes to .

a.) God for creating thunderstorms that knocked out power at the K. The rain actually stopped. There could have been baseball at 9:30.

b.) Joe West.

c.) the pussification of America. Babying pitchers and they all get hurt anyway.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
I guess you just won't believe me and I live out here.

We have had MANY STORMS that didn't Topeka, Lawrence, Olathe and never hit the K.

If they canceled every game where storms were coming then the Royals wouldn't have a season.

Why you believe Ozzie should have played God and started Linebrink is beyond me. They started the f***ing game. You play the cards given you. It's modern baseball's fault Jackson couldn't go in the DH. It's f***ing absurd that pitcher's can't pitch the following day after merely warming up and throwing a few pitches. But that's the way it is.

The fault of this matter goes to .

a.) God for creating thunderstorms that knocked out power at the K. The rain actually stopped. There could have been baseball at 9:30.

b.) Joe West.

c.) the pussification of America. Babying pitchers and they all get hurt anyway.

Storms do pop up out of nowhere in the middle of summer, even up here. But everyone knew there was a storm coming, and they started the game anyway. They should have delayed it before the first pitch. But oh well. I agree about babying pitchers. He threw what, 10 or 15 pitches? Whatever. Pena did a fine job, though. It's too bad he didn't get the win he deserved.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
Ok, can somebody answer this for me? Was Aug. 29th always the day set to retire Frank's number? I could have sworn it was originally set to be the 28th not the 29th? Did this change at sometime?

well he made his debut on the 29th so nothing has changed

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 03:49 AM)
I think tonight's loss was the worst of the season.

Chance to pick up a game on Twins. Floppola.

We are not looking like a team that is gonna scare Minnie at all.

Really? Tonight was the worst loss of the season? I can pick about 4 that I think were worse just against Minnesota.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:49 AM)
I think tonight's loss was the worst of the season.

Blowing a 3-run lead in the 9th vs. the Twins, with a chance to split a 4-game series?

Giving up a walkoff homer in the 10th vs. the Twins to go 4 games down?

We are not looking like a team that is gonna scare Minnie at all.

And the Twins are not looking like a team that will scare any other playoff teams this season either. No matter who wins the Central, I see a quick exit for the division champ

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
And the Twins are not looking like a team that will scare any other playoff teams this season either. No matter who wins the Central, I see a quick exit for the division champ

Really? That's a lineup that can hang with anyone, and their starting pitching looks to at least be a step up from last season.

It'll hurt them not to have Morneau, but having a guy like Thome who can step in can help as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
Really? That's a lineup that can hang with anyone, and their starting pitching looks to at least be a step up from last season.

It'll hurt them not to have Morneau, but having a guy like Thome who can step in can help as well.

The lineup is definitely solid. Their rotation is better, but I still wouldn't feel that confident heading into a playoff series with them. The end of the bullpen would be a major concern to me as well. Then again, the more I look at NYY/TB/TEX, I do see some major flaws as well, but I just personally don't think the Twins stack up to them overall.