August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...ame_pk%3D265482

if you watch teh second replay, you can clearly see the first base umpire call the runner safe (in other words konerko DIDN'T STEP on 1b)....the home plate ump probably never even realized this, and didn't realize it should have been a force play at home (its debatable whether AJ had the plate or not...1st replay looked like it, second was iffy)

the runner (wieters) was or at least should have been called out for abandoning his effort on the basepaths.....the question is whether this call comes before or after the play at the plate, and whether or not the home plate umpire knew this was the call....

weird weird and interesting play

So Scott should have been out at home I guess...

Hmmm

Edited by chw42

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
This article just makes you shake your head....I can't believe he mentions the NL games as part of his justification for rotating DH.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6226876.story

This article should actually be titled: "White Sox Manager Ozzie Guillen doesn't like to admit that he was wrong."

As for Thome, life after the White Sox is still good, because he is on a team that has a chance to make the playoffs.

"I knew I wasn't going to be an everyday player," he said. "And what (having) days off has done is kind of rejuvenate me, which in the long run has really helped out."

This is a funny line in the story. He's on a team that has a chance to make the playoffs. Is the writer trying to say the Sox don't have a chance? I mean I personally think the Twinks are gonna win the division by five or more games but the Sox are just one out now. Kind of a funny line.

As far as Thome, there was so much hate for him on here last year. People were ready to move on. Now Kotsay/Jones was an awful replacement, but it was time to move on. Unfortunately for us, he beat us tonight and we still got 2 games to go this series. Thome may be the guy to help the Twins break the Yankee hex in the playoffs. His veteran bat/leadership might help them this time vs. New York.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 06:37 AM)
I'd like to point out I'm in the 1% that wanted Thome back.

How come we never acquire any ex Twins to reverse the jinx we have against them?

They get Crede last year who homered against us and now they have Thome? f***.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 02:52 AM)
How come we never acquire any ex Twins to reverse the jinx we have against them?

They get Crede last year who homered against us and now they have Thome? f***.

Because the Angels swooped in with $90M

Constantly losing to the twins is getting very old. What makes last night's loss even worse is the fact that they played poorly in Baltimore. Now this series against the Twins is that much bigger.

I'm sick of not having a legitimate DH, and I'm tired of hearing Ozzie defend his rotating DH idea. If KW takes one note about this season it should be, "Don't listen to Ozzie."

Winning the next two against the Twins is very important. Winning only one will put the Sox 1 game back, which wouldn't be horrendous, but still inexusable because of what happened in Baltimore.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
This article just makes you shake your head....I can't believe he mentions the NL games as part of his justification for rotating DH.

"A lot of people are mistaken about the DH," Guillen said. "It gives me an opportunity to play people at different places. I put Carlos (Quentin) at DH, I put Andruw (Jones), (Omar) Vizquel.
Notice anything missing?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)
This is a funny line in the story. He's on a team that has a chance to make the playoffs. Is the writer trying to say the Sox don't have a chance? I mean I personally think the Twinks are gonna win the division by five or more games but the Sox are just one out now. Kind of a funny line.

As far as Thome, there was so much hate for him on here last year. People were ready to move on. Now Kotsay/Jones was an awful replacement, but it was time to move on. Unfortunately for us, he beat us tonight and we still got 2 games to go this series. Thome may be the guy to help the Twins break the Yankee hex in the playoffs. His veteran bat/leadership might help them this time vs. New York.

You know the sad thing? Part of the reason why some people (not me, I desperately wanted him back) justified wanting Thome gone was that his numbers tended to wear down as the season went on. You know what that might have been a symptom of? Ozzie playing him every bloody day unless he was hurt.

When Ozzie had Thome on his roster, even when giving Thome an extra day off a week or so was the obvious move, Ozzie played him until he hurt, and then that wound up being part of the reason why we didn't bring Thome back...because he would wear down at the end of the season. Then what do we do? We decide we're going to go the route of making sure all of our guys get extra rest, by finding ways to move Quentin and Konerko to the DH spot more often. You know what that would have done? EXACTLY what the Twins have done with Thome!

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)

Ozzie has had his share of success with us obviously, but he'd just be a better NL manager because he doesn't seem to get how AL offense works. Well that, and we know he's too stubborn to admit he was wrong, so it's not surprising to see this article in that sense either. Like I said in another thread, if we lose this division by 1-3 games, it goes directly on the Thome decision, because had that no brainer been handled properly, it makes up those standings games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 06:14 AM)
Thank Goodness we're not stuck with that contract.

Torri has been very good over a 3 year span with the Angels. I realize he still has 2 more years left on that deal and he is moving over to RF now, but the guy is going to be a stud defender over in RF and his bat has looked nice. I don't think the Angels regret that signing one bit.

And he's produced this year with very little protection.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
He'd fit in nicely in Kotsay's slot on the 25 man roster. A definite upgrade.

His rehab assignment must end by 8/19. So we should know by then, and I am hoping that he does indeed replace Kotsay. I think that's a real possibility too, though Viciedo going down is probably more likely.