August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
All Hawk did the past three games was complain about the attendance.

There was still 30,000 at every game. It wasn't like they 15,000 in the seats.

How many MLB teams wouldn't sell out a series in mid August against a team they're tied for first? 3?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
How many MLB teams wouldn't sell out a series in mid August against a team they're tied for first? 3?

The White Sox, Marlins, & Braves. I would include the Rays on the list, but all the Yankees or Red Sox fans would buy all the tix and make it a sellout anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
The White Sox, Marlins, & Braves. I would include the Rays on the list, but all the Yankees or Red Sox fans would buy all the tix and make it a sellout anyway.

That sounds about right.

Last night was as close as I've come to muting the TV during the game.

Hawk is just unbearable, and it's even worse in big games. There's a huge difference between rooting for the team and being an outright, ignorant homer.

Worse yet, there are plenty of fans that buy into his argument that one pitch or one call lost the game for the Sox. As the majority here realize, that wasn't the storyline last night.

Since this has been the topic of conversation on the Score the past 30 minutes, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
How many times do we have to see another team push us around? We come off as a bunch of pansies.

We come across as pansies because we can't win the f***ing game. It has nothing to do with not retaliating.

If we beat them on the field, we look good.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
We come across as pansies because we can't win the f***ing game. It has nothing to do with not retaliating.

If we beat them on the field, we look good.

So we let teams hit our batters or ram over our catcher whenever they feel like it and lose the game. That's got to be great for team morale. Oh and then have your skipper shower that opponent with compliments.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
So we let teams hit our batters or ram over our catcher whenever they feel like it and lose the game. That's got to be great for team morale. Oh and then have your skipper shower that opponent with compliments.

What happened to all of that stuff being make believe? I thought players weren't supposed to get bad feelings by what the organization did and said, or at least that is what I was told during the trade deadline when Ozzie said we didn't need anyone else, and the basic opinion was that he should just say that we need another bat.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)

All this stuff is bogus if we just play well enough to win. I agree we have to play with playoff intensity more often against teams in our own division, though. Just play hard and win.

Edited by greg775

On the attendence thing, keep in mind the Sox will probably finish the season averaging 28k-ish, give or take. In the late 90's they were averaging like 17k, near the bottom in baseball. Early 2000's, low 20's. Post-2005, our bad seasons put us at like 27k, and mid-to-upper part of MLB. Attendence for Sox games has its ups and downs like most teams, but on both a total and relative basis, things are dramatically better over the past decade. This is a non-issue.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
On the attendence thing, keep in mind the Sox will probably finish the season averaging 28k-ish, give or take.

No way they're getting that high. They're at 26,400 right now. They'd have to average 31,500 to get to 28ish. There's still series at home against the Orioles and Royals coming up, along with 3 final games against the Indians.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
No way they're getting that high. They're at 26,400 right now. They'd have to average 31,500 to get to 28ish. There's still series at home against the Orioles and Royals coming up, along with 3 final games against the Indians.

I'll bet, as long as they don't plummet in the standings, they average right about that: 30-33-ish. You've got series against MIN, BOS, NYY, DET. They just averaged right around that this past series, and the DET series this weekend has only a few sets left for Sat-Sun.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)

Cincy didn't sell out any of its games this week with the Cardinals, and that was the biggest series in that city in close to 15 years.

That's actually a pretty good column about our attendance and fans' faith in the team. The reader comments were interesting, too, especially the dad who couldn't afford to take his daughter to the game.

It truly is amazing what it costs to go to a baseball game unless you go on the promotional nights.

It also is amazing the Cubs sell out every game and the Sox don't come close.

Oh well. Lots of reasons for the bad attendance. Not a bad story.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
That's actually a pretty good column about our attendance and fans' faith in the team. The reader comments were interesting, too, especially the dad who couldn't afford to take his daughter to the game.

The White Sox are actually one of the more expensive ticket/game experiences in the league, IIRC.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
Cincy didn't sell out any of its games this week with the Cardinals, and that was the biggest series in that city in close to 15 years.

Wow, I expected Cincy to be one of the fanbases that would show up when their team was finally a winner. I guess that makes 4 on my list.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
The White Sox are actually one of the more expensive ticket/game experiences in the league, IIRC.

Most people I know in KC would say f*** it to 23 dollar parking and no way in hell would they go.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
Most people I know in KC would say f*** it to 23 dollar parking and no way in hell would they go.

Last year, my dad and I started taking the Skokie Swift to the Red Line instead of paying $21 to park. $6 each and don't have to sit in traffic. Easy decision. Although the Red Line sees its share of wierdos.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)

When's the last time they had to worry about a series with 1st place on the line in mid-August??? Parking was probably $5 back then.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)

Touche. August 15-17 they hosted the Twins, who were in 3rd but only 2-3 games back. Weird attendance numbers from those 3 games:

Friday 08/15: 39,927

Saturday 08/16: 28,994

Sunday 08/17: 18,875

There had to be bad weekend weather or some kinda special night on Friday. They also hosted the 2nd place White Sox from July 29-31. It was a Tues.-Thurs. series and they got between 20k-25k for each game.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)

I was down there during that series. stadium looked packed to me. Plus the heat was incredible. It was 100 all day and still 90 at 9 so that may have had something to do with it