Don Cooper and Edwin Jackson

hi8is

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,3558092.column

Sunday morning in the Sox clubhouse before all the players had arrived, the man most responsible for the Edwin Jackson trade making sense anxiously counted down the minutes before he could start to make it work.

"I can't wait till 11 o'clock,'' Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said, glancing at the clock.

That was when Cooper went down to the bullpen to watch Jackson, the right-handed reclamation project acquired Friday from the Diamondbacks for prospect Daniel Hudson. Jackson is a struggling 26-year-old with a 6-10 record and All-Star-caliber stuff on his fifth major-league team because he lets more people walk than a lenient judge.

Cooper, the arm whisperer, is the coach whose track record suggests he will change that. I asked Cooper to name the career turnarounds of which he is proudest since becoming the Sox pitching coach in 2002.

He named Esteban Loaiza, Jose Contreras, John Danks and Gavin Floyd — who shut down the A's 4-1 Sunday. There are many more, but the guy who can match Ozzie Guillen syllable for syllable apparently rations words when talking about himself.

"First, it's the guys themselves who do everything, and from there it's a combination of mechanics and confidence and creating an atmosphere to succeed,'' Cooper said. "It's easy to pitch for us. If you have a tough outing, don't worry about it. We want them to be themselves.''

If Cooper were resuscitating careers this successfully in Los Angeles and not Chicago, Lindsay Lohan and Mel Gibson would be calling for advice. Without divulging the specific adjustment he already proposed to Jackson, Cooper predicted, "I think it's going to be pretty easy. I'm not scientific.''

For example, Cooper will focus on Jackson cutting down walks without using the "W" word. Once Jackson makes a conscious effort to stop worrying about walking people, Cooper figures he will get more of them out. Hey, baseball isn't brain surgery.

"He's a very loose guy who knows we'll all have adversity. so he doesn't emphasize too much of the mechanical part, just being aggressive,'' Floyd said. "It's helped me a lot to put my faith in my faith, a huge step for myself.''

Sounds like a subtle thing. But it's the type of psychological coaching that can have a significant impact for someone trying to salvage a career.

"He makes everything simple,'' said Matt Thornton, another Cooper success story. Thornton came to the Sox in 2006 as an erratic lefty and developed into an All-Star reliever because of changes that were more mental than physical.

"What Coop preaches is make every pitch with conviction,'' Thornton said. "Definitely the effect is more on confidence than mechanics.''

That's why I feel confident the Sox made a move that increased their chances of winning the American League Central in dealing Hudson for Jackson, an upgrade for now and quite possibly later.

If the Sox were going to trade their top pitching prospect, they couldn't do it for a left-handed power hitter. They had to get a pitcher, a live arm to fill out the rotation. The Sox thought Hudson might withstand the pressure of a pennant race but they know Jackson can — he has 20 career wins after Aug. 1.

If the Sox continue to pitch, play defense and execute Ozzie Ball as well as they have the last two months, the countdown to the waiver trade deadline for another bat becomes irrelevant.

The Sox beat the A's with a bases-clearing triple by Brent Lillibridge, subbing for Gordon Beckham, and a squeeze bunt by Juan Pierre. The only thing that makes Guillen happier than winning with speed is winning with pitching. It is that combination that makes the Sox most dangerous with 18 games against AL Central opponents in August.

If Jackson resembles the guy who won 27 games over 2008-09, the Sox have a rotation that looks like the best in the division in front of a bullpen that some consider the best in the majors.

The hand-wringing over unloading a quality young pitcher such as Hudson reminds me of the reaction when the Sox traded Brandon McCarthy in December 2006 in a deal that brought back Danks. McCarthy is 13-15 since the trade. Hudson, every bit as promising as McCarthy was, made five starts for the Sox.

Nobody will miss Hudson if Cooper can do for Jackson what he did for Floyd. Floyd continued his recent mastery against the A's by giving up only one run in seven innings, lowering his ERA to 1.06 over his last 11 starts. When Cooper started working with Floyd, the pitcher was practically computing his ERA on the mound between hitters.

"It was the mental guy that was choking and killing the physical guy,'' Cooper said. "Gavin was a guy who would listen to someone in the 10th row's advice. He was thinking about his left earlobe or his right big toe. There was some delivery work done. But it got to where he was thinking too much in his delivery and we just simplified things for him.''

With a different pitcher in Jackson, Cooper's approach will be the same. If the results are anywhere close, the next debate will be which playoff game Jackson starts.

As much as I really disliked the Jackson trade, and am still not a fan of it, I can't help but salivate at the idea of Coop turning this kid around control wise. Hudson had the control, but he only had decent stuff. Jackson has bad control, but amazing stuff. If Coop can get this guy to throw strikes, he will have a really awesome pitcher on our hands. I guess I saw Hudson as the safe pick, and Jackson as the high risk (contract), but very high reward type guy.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
As much as I really disliked the Jackson trade, and am still not a fan of it, I can't help but salivate at the idea of Coop turning this kid around control wise. Hudson had the control, but he only had decent stuff. Jackson has bad control, but amazing stuff. If Coop can get this guy to throw strikes, he will have a really awesome pitcher on our hands. I guess I saw Hudson as the safe pick, and Jackson as the high risk (contract), but very high reward type guy.

Hudson had control?

In the three starts I saw with us this year I saw zero control.

I did notice though that in his start today with Arizona thar he only had one walk.

I really liked Hudsons stuff and his make up - he is a gamer.

If Jackson becomes the ace he is capable of being - I will forget Hudsons name :)

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 02:45 AM)
Hudson had control?

In the three starts I saw with us this year I saw zero control.

I did notice though that in his start today with Arizona thar he only had one walk.

I really liked Hudsons stuff and his make up - he is a gamer.

If Jackson becomes the ace he is capable of being - I will forget Hudsons name :)

In 217 minor league innings, Hudson had just 56 BB to 256 K. Yeah, he is a control pitcher, regardless of what he did in his first couple starts w/ us this year.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
In 217 minor league innings, Hudson had just 56 BB to 256 K. Yeah, he is a control pitcher, regardless of what he did in his first couple starts w/ us this year.

He'll be a damn good pitcher for Arizona for many years at a bargin.

Also - Rizzo is a bleeping moron for refusing to trade dunn for him.

M-O-R-O-N

Edited by hi8is

People seem to overlook that Coop was supposedly salivating over the chance to get Jackson. Think about it: if you're Kenny, and Coop comes to you and tells you that he feels he knows Hudson's ceiling and Hudson won't be very helpful down the stretch, but he's confident that he can turn Jackson into a stud, what would you do?

In Cooper I trust. In Kenny I trust

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
People seem to overlook that Coop was supposedly salivating over the chance to get Jackson. Think about it: if you're Kenny, and Coop comes to you and tells you that he feels he knows Hudson's ceiling and Hudson won't be very helpful down the stretch, but he's confident that he can turn Jackson into a stud, what would you do?

I think it was Matt Thornton that upon acquiring him Kenny went down to Don Cooper and told him something like "there you go, now you got him."

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)

Even in my Anti-Jackson rants, I kept including the clause "unless Cooper's been begging for this guy for a couple years and can turn his career around in 12 minutes a-la Thornton".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
Even in my Anti-Jackson rants, I kept including the clause "unless Cooper's been begging for this guy for a couple years and can turn his career around in 12 minutes a-la Thornton".

I don't see Coop being able to make an instant impact with Jackson. I think we'll see the biggest impact this off season and throughout spring training. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Jackson be very good next season, but I think it's expecting a lot for Jackson to come in, have one bullpen session with Coop, and then be lights out the rest of the season.

I can't help but be very excited about next years rotation. Danks, Peavy, Buehlre, Floyd, and Jackson. Wow, that could be scary good.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
I don't see Coop being able to make an instant impact with Jackson. I think we'll see the biggest impact this off season and throughout spring training. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Jackson be very good next season, but I think it's expecting a lot for Jackson to come in, have one bullpen session with Coop, and then be lights out the rest of the season.

I can't help but be very excited about next years rotation. Danks, Peavy, Buehlre, Floyd, and Jackson. Wow, that could be scary good.

This.

I wouldn't be all that upset if Coop didn't make dramatic changes to Jackson overnight, or even this season. I would STILL have more faith in Jackson than Hudson in a big game in the playoffs this year.

This whole thing reminds me so much of Brandon McCarthy. I think Edwin Jackson is going to be a monster next year.

Many people are not aware of the huge impact that Scott Linebrink had on Floyd getting his act together.

Both have a very strong "faith-based" approach to life.

Scott shared his thoughts, etc., with Gavin at a critical time in Floyd's development.

And it has played a critical role in Floyd's new found self-confidence and success.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Many people are not aware of the huge impact that Scott Linebrink had on Floyd getting his act together.

Scott shared his thoughts, etc., with Gavin at a critical time in Floyd's development.

And it has played a critical role in Floyd's new found self-confidence and success.

And slightly off topic but anyone else notice that Linebrink's last 8 or 9 starts have been pretty damn good? Could you imagine if he had one of those elite half seasons the rest of the way?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
And slightly off topic but anyone else notice that Linebrink's last 8 or 9 starts have been pretty damn good? Could you imagine if he had one of those elite half seasons the rest of the way?

I was about to say, why hasn't Coop fixed Liney?? ;-)

It would be nice if he got his act together and started hitting his spots, our Pen would be just killer

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)

At this point, I consider anything that the Sox get get out of Linebrink, other than mop up duty, to be a bonus. Hopefully he is able to contribute to the team in the run up to the playoffs.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
At this point, I consider anything that the Sox get get out of Linebrink, other than mop up duty, to be a bonus. Hopefully he is able to contribute to the team in the run up to the playoffs.

At this point he isn't cringe-inducing bad so I'm pleased.

Just because Coop likes him doesnt mean we didnt overpay for him. Jackson has been bad this year, there is no denying that, and with the price tag he has you dont give up the only SP prospect that you have that can make an impact on your big league club this year (we have other pitchers, but no one else is close to Hudson's level).

Even if Jackson succeeds, we're stuck with a $54 million starting rotation with no clear favorites to replace one of those expensive starters. I would like Jackson if we kept Hudson, because then we still ahve the flexibility to trade a starter in the offseason while having Hudson be the cheap yet potentially good 5th starter.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)

At least Linebrink has something to contribute to this team, which is good to know.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)

He's just not as fatigued since he's not getting used much.

Since June 11th...

9.2 Innings, 9 hits, 2 ER, 4 BB, 8 K, 2 HR, 1.86 ERA.

Because of the home runs, he does have a 5.47 FIP.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
Just because Coop likes him doesnt mean we didnt overpay for him. Jackson has been bad this year, there is no denying that, and with the price tag he has you dont give up the only SP prospect that you have that can make an impact on your big league club this year (we have other pitchers, but no one else is close to Hudson's level).

Even if Jackson succeeds, we're stuck with a $54 million starting rotation with no clear favorites to replace one of those expensive starters. I would like Jackson if we kept Hudson, because then we still ahve the flexibility to trade a starter in the offseason while having Hudson be the cheap yet potentially good 5th starter.

We have Sale who might be able to jump into the rotation at some point next year and should at least be ready by the start of 2012. Buerhle and Jackson will be free agents at this point, so the $54 million commitment is only for a year.

However, I see KW trying to sign Danks and possibly Jackson (depending on performance/eagerness to test the market) to extensions this offseason. Having Jackson might be good leverage to get Danks to finally agree to a long-term deal. If not, we need to look into trading Danks soon. He'll be at his highest value during the offseason and up until the 2011 trading deadline. We should be able to get quite a haul for him, including a near major league ready starting pitcher with tons of upside. Hopefully it doesn't come to moving Danks, but that might be how you get some salary relief in the offseason.