8/2 Games

flavum

Teahen with a 3:0 BB/SO ratio. It's up to the sox when they feel he's good to go.

Bellamy still adjusting to AA. Blanke with a .942 OPS now in GF.

Crawford Simmons was amazing tonight. Problem is.. he is in the KC affiliate and he dominated our Bristol affiliate.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:18 AM)
Teahen with a 3:0 BB/SO ratio. It's up to the sox when they feel he's good to go.

Bellamy still adjusting to AA. Blanke with a .942 OPS now in GF.

Crawford Simmons was amazing tonight. Problem is.. he is in the KC affiliate and he dominated our Bristol affiliate.

That KC system has just had a ridiculous year.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
Gilmore. Let's be real; is he anything but a Theriot at best?

Ryan Theriot is 5'11", 175 lbs.

Was a 3rd round pick of the Cubs.

He was 24 years old when he was in high A ball.

Where he batted .273 with a .709 OPS

Jon Gilmore is 6'3". 195 lbs.

Drafted in the 1st round by the Braves.

Is 21 years old in high A ball.

And is batting .337 with a .794 OPS.

In what bizarre parallel universe are these two players remotely similar?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:36 AM)

Both are decent contact hitters that don't hit for power or walk. I'd never have used a Theriot comp for Gilmore, but it's not that far-fetched.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
Both are decent contact hitters that don't hit for power or walk. I'd never have used a Theriot comp for Gilmore, but it's not that far-fetched.

What?

2 players who are 3 years apart at the same level in the minors are 'comparable'?

Despite the younger guy hitting almost 60 points higher in average?

And despite Gilmore having a projectable body type likely to grow into power, where Theriot was never expected to or would with his body type?

Please.

THIS is a great example of the problem with using advanced stats on players in the low minors. The numbers create the image of a logical argument which makes absolutely no sense.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
What?

2 players who are 3 years apart at the same level in the minors are 'comparable'?

And despite Gilmore having a projectable body type likely to grow into power, where Theriot was never expected to or would with his body type?

Please.

THIS is a great example of the problem with using advanced stats on players in the low minors. The numbers create the image of a logical argument which makes absolutely no sense.

Advanced stats? Walks and extra base hits are advanced stats? Assuming Gilmore doesn't MASSIVELY improve on his power it's reasonable. I'd bet Gilmore never makes the Majors.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:04 AM)
What?

They sure can be. Just because a player is playing a level at a younger age than another prospect it doesn't automatically make them better, often it will be the case, but it certainly isn't automatic.

Batting average is not a good predictor of future results. When I'm looking at a prospect I don't take it into consideration at all.

Gilmore certainly has more power potential than Theriot, but right now he has almost zero in-game power. His ISO isn't just bad, it's terrible for a player of his position. The power could develop, but we've been waiting several years and it's not like he's 18 anymore, he turns 22 in 20 days.

What advanced stats?

Like I said I would never have used the comparison myself, but until Gilmore develops in-game power (if it ever happens), his offensive game is not too dissimilar to Theriots.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
Andy Wilkins continues to rake...

He went 3/4 with a 2B, HR, RBI, and a BB. AVG up to .341 with .431 OBP, and an outstanding .992 OPS. This dude is out performing the competition by a lot. 16 BB to 12 K is nice.

I like Wilkins a lot but I would like to see him at Low-A. His numbers in rookie ball, while very impressive, don't mean a lot because he really should be blowing that level of competition away.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 03:45 AM)
I like Wilkins a lot but I would like to see him at Low-A. His numbers in rookie ball, while very impressive, don't mean a lot because he really should be blowing that level of competition away.

Agreed. I've actually been paying more attention to Saladino in Kanny. Hell, he is actually younger than Wilkins as well.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)

Any time this subject comes up, it is always interesting to look at the numbers for Magglio at a similar age.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/O/m...o-ordonez.shtml

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
Any time this subject comes up, it is always interesting to look at the numbers for Magglio at a similar age.

Ordonez and Gilmore are similar in that they were both in high A at the age of 21. That's about where the similarities end. Ordonez hit for a bit of power (38 XBH, 12 HR), showed a decent propensity to walk (7.7%), didn't strike out a ton (13.3%), and was unlucky overall (.255 BABIP). Gilmore hasn't hit for a ton of power (27 XBH, 4 HR), has not walked as much (5.2%), has struck out slightly less (13%), and has been very lucky overall (.379 BABIP).

Gilmore is going to have to hit for more power to ever really be taken seriously as a prospect. Hopefully he can show some in the next month or so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)

Why is Maggs relevant? He hit for much more power than Gilmore has displayed. Maggs hit double digit HR in the minors for four straight years and had a respectable ISO. Gilmore hasn't hit 15 HR as a pro in 1500 AB.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 03:45 AM)

At least he is showing his power translates to wood though. That's certainly encouraging.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
Why is Maggs relevant? He hit for much more power than Gilmore has displayed. Maggs hit double digit HR in the minors for four straight years and had a respectable ISO. Gilmore hasn't hit 15 HR as a pro in 1500 AB.

At least he is showing his power translates to wood though. That's certainly encouraging.

Hell yea, that's all this stupid league tests anyway. Bam, test aced. Move on up!

Back to Gilmore for a sec; why use the flamethrower on the Theriot comparison? What other major leaguers does that skill set really project to, especially at third base? Free-swinging, contact hitters without power or plate discipline don't usually become major league third basemen.

Not saying he's a bust at all, but it doesn't look GREAT by any means.