Chris Sale Promoted to Majors

TheChrisSamsa

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
I must admit I know nothing about this kid. Why the hell would he be ready this soon?

Well, first of all, he's striking people out like crazy.

Secondly, he's left handed.

Third...and here's the important one...we don't know for sure, but the Sox were immediately talking about calling him up after signing him. When Andrew Miller inked his contract, there was a clause requiring that he was called up by the Tigers in the year after he was drafted. Gives him more income, gets an option out of the way, gets him some early service time, puts him on the 40 man immediately.

I get a strong impression that Sale has a similar clause, requiring a stint in the majors this year. The Sox got him pretty close to slot money IIRC. That may be what they had to part with to get a deal done.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
And what has Threets done to be sent back down? He's looked pretty solid so far.

Well first off, it seems like a promise was made to Sale re: being in the majors this year. Secondly, although Threets hasn't been bad, he's kind of the only choice to send down, unless you want to carry 13 pitchers.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
...although Threets hasn't been bad, he's kind of the only choice to sent down, unless you want to carry 13 pitchers.

I wish they were more aggressive in sending bad hitters down.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
I wish they were more aggressive in sending bad hitters down.

Like who? Do you have someone in mind?

I thought that Sale had bad mechanics or mechanics that would eventually cause an injury? Doesn't he need to work on this before he blows something out?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
Like who? Do you have someone in mind?

I thought that Sale had bad mechanics or mechanics that would eventually cause an injury? Doesn't he need to work on this before he blows something out?

He does the M with his shoulders and elbows but that doesn't ensure injury.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 08:35 AM)
Well, first of all, he's striking people out like crazy.

Secondly, he's left handed.

Third...and here's the important one...we don't know for sure, but the Sox were immediately talking about calling him up after signing him. When Andrew Miller inked his contract, there was a clause requiring that he was called up by the Tigers in the year after he was drafted. Gives him more income, gets an option out of the way, gets him some early service time, puts him on the 40 man immediately.

I get a strong impression that Sale has a similar clause, requiring a stint in the majors this year. The Sox got him pretty close to slot money IIRC. That may be what they had to part with to get a deal done.

I don't know that there is a clause as much as this was an oral promise made to him...that he would be brought into the fold very quickly.

I just hope this is more a function of Sale being that talented, as opposed to our options dwindling that much...

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
He does the M with his shoulders and elbows but that doesn't ensure injury.

It causes a greater chance of it. For a guy like him, he's going to have to learn to pitch with it I guess. It's not a smart idea to mess with success.

Peavy also has bad mechanics, but I was no an advocate of Coop trying to change them in spring training.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
I don't know that there is a clause as much as this was an oral promise made to him...that he would be brought into the fold very quickly.

I just hope this is more a function of Sale being that talented, as opposed to our options dwindling that much...

I'm guessing the promise of a call up was worth knocking off some of his signing bonus.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
I'm by no means an expert on our minor league players so can someone chime in and give us some perspective on how Sale compares to recent pitching hopefuls? Can he be the real deal?

I don't believe anyone has seen enough of him to actually give a valid opinion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
I'm guessing the promise of a call up was worth knocking off some of his signing bonus.

It was. His agent said that the reason they agreed to sign for what they did, and as early as they did, is because the White Sox were committed to moving Chris up quickly, and that player and agent agreed that was the best overall course of action for his future.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
It was. His agent said that the reason they agreed to sign for what they did, and as early as they did, is because the White Sox were committed to moving Chris up quickly, and that player and agent agreed that was the best overall course of action for his future.

Get that arbitration clock moving!