FEASABLE waiver bats

macsandz

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Not a chance he clears. Not sure what his contract is, but unless he is really overpaid, someone will claim him. Too much talent.

You say not a chance he clears but you don't know what his contract is?

Very impressive post....

My guess is that he would clear, or already has (I'd call it close to 50/50), but he isn't a whole lot different than Andruw Jones (good defender with streaky power).

GMs are really catching on, the only players that were or are available really couldn't play anywhere...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Young

09 - $1.75 mill

10 - $3.25 mill

11 - $5 mill

12 - $7 mill

13 - $8.5 mill

14 - $11 mill club option, $1.5 mill buyout

There's no way he'd clear waivers. If he were to hypothetically go on waivers, the Pirates would claim him and they could just deal him in the offseason for prospects with that contract. It's arguably a better value than Alex Rios's deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
In a related story, 29 claims have been made by now...

I thought about it for a moment and realized...you know...I bet the Pirates would be happy to pay $3 million to Dunn to get those 2 draft picks.

I kind of hope we pick up Manny. He is like TO, put him somewhere new & he'll produce. Don't really like him, but he is clutch... Look what he did for a crappy LA team in 2008. Put him at DH & maybe let him play LF for the first 3 or 4 innings, once or twice a week.

Plus, Tank might learn a thing or two from Manny!!

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
I kind of hope we pick up Manny. He is like TO, put him somewhere new & he'll produce. Don't really like him, but he is clutch... Look what he did for a crappy LA team in 2008. Put him at DH & maybe let him play LF for the first 3 or 4 innings, once or twice a week.

He will platoon with Kotsay

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)

"And if you want to make sure that you pass the tests, you need to be completely off your cycle by January 15th, otherwise your levels will still be off by the time training camp opens."

Uhh, and then what?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
I thought about it for a moment and realized...you know...I bet the Pirates would be happy to pay $3 million to Dunn to get those 2 draft picks.

I got to be honest with you Balta, I feel like you've been going overboard on this draft pick hype for a while. Why would the Pirates pay $3 million for 2 draft picks that will cost them another let's say $2 million to sign? That's a total of $5 million spent on a supplemental 1st round pick and best case scenario a 1st round pick (>15) only worth $2 million.

Instead, they could use the $5 million on international free agents and highly ranked guys who slip in the draft due to signability concerns. I can guarantee you they'd get way more bang for their buck this way. There's absolutely no need to pay a premium to "acquire" draft picks when you can just hand out over slot signing bonuses in later rounds for similar players.

This is exactly why I find it hilarious that Rizzo didn't accept a reasonable offer from us (or any other team for that matter). He could of had a package of Hudson, Flowers (could have been used in another trade) and Holmberg, saved money by getting Dunn's contract off the books (let's say $3 million), while avoid paying the two draft picks (again let's say $2 million). He then could have turned around and spent the $5 million in savings on international free agents and guys who slip in the draft due to signability concerns. IMO, that's a much better return than just two draft picks.

I don't think we really want him to learn anything from Manny. How to be a terrible defensive player? How to use PED's? How to not hussle? How to grow huge dreadlocks? Well, that last one may be cool.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
I don't think we really want him to learn anything from Manny. How to be a terrible defensive player? How to use PED's? How to not hussle? How to grow huge dreadlocks? Well, that last one may be cool.

"A thing or two", the guy is 2nd on the all-time grandslam list.(behind Lou Gehrig)

Now I just feel wrong defending Manny Ramirez!!

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
You say not a chance he clears but you don't know what his contract is?

Very impressive post....

My guess is that he would clear, or already has (I'd call it close to 50/50), but he isn't a whole lot different than Andruw Jones (good defender with streaky power).

GMs are really catching on, the only players that were or are available really couldn't play anywhere...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
Chris Young

09 - $1.75 mill

10 - $3.25 mill

11 - $5 mill

12 - $7 mill

13 - $8.5 mill

14 - $11 mill club option, $1.5 mill buyout

There's no way he'd clear waivers. If he were to hypothetically go on waivers, the Pirates would claim him and they could just deal him in the offseason for prospects with that contract. It's arguably a better value than Alex Rios's deal.

I really did not feel like researching his contract situation cause I thought my post was blatantly obvious either way unless he was being paid Vernon Wells money, he would not clear. Thanks for dumbing it down for the kid wite. :)

Im not really in agreement with the idea that the Pirates or every team would claim Young. There may be a few teams who would take a $20mil risk, but I think the a fair number would pass at this point.

Not to mention the entire idea seems perplexing because if Young was available, they would have dealt him at the trade deadline. No way is AZ just going to let him go for free.

So youd have to be willing to pay the salary + give up prospects.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Do we really want Manny? the bat hasn't quite been Manny-like for a while.

2010 .317 BA .409 OBP .516 SLG .925 OBPS

Career .313 BA .411 OBP .589 SLG 1.000 OBPS

His power numbers are down, but it isnt as if he is playing in a bandbox. When he is playing seems like he is still hitting pretty well to me

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
2010 .317 BA .409 OBP .516 SLG .925 OBPS

Career .313 BA .411 OBP .589 SLG 1.000 OBPS

His power numbers are down, but it isnt as if he is playing in a bandbox. When he is playing seems like he is still hitting pretty well to me

The important thing is that Manny gets on-base. He has some of the best at-bats of anyone in baseball.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Im not really in agreement with the idea that the Pirates or every team would claim Young. There may be a few teams who would take a $20mil risk, but I think the a fair number would pass at this point.

Not to mention the entire idea seems perplexing because if Young was available, they would have dealt him at the trade deadline. No way is AZ just going to let him go for free.

So youd have to be willing to pay the salary + give up prospects.

He's not leaving Arizona, and I wasn't suggesting he was available. All I was saying was that he's a valuable commodity at that price. Players who can hit 20+ homers and steal 20+ bases while being able to play a competent centerfield are very valuable, and any bad team would be able to claim him and then either keep him or deal him themselves for prospects if the DBacks were to simply let him go, simply suggesting that he wouldn't clear waivers.

If for whatever reason the DBacks felt the need to move Young, they would have done so. FanGraphs speculated that Arizona is actually perfectly content with both their offense and their ability to find hitters who can hit in their ballpark (and that's reasonable, considering it is a great park to hit in), and they've only been moving their pitching to acquire more pitching. In dealing both Haren and Jackson, they loaded up on pitching, and I have to imagine that they'll get some type of pitcher for Qualls too.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
I really did not feel like researching his contract situation cause I thought my post was blatantly obvious either way unless he was being paid Vernon Wells money, he would not clear. Thanks for dumbing it down for the kid wite. :)

It is not blatantly obvious... I am still not certain that he hasn't already passed through waivers.

Young was demoted to AAA late last season and has 28 million due to him.

I know his contract status I didn't need it pointed out to me, I just found your quote "Not a chance he clears. Not sure what his contract is" fairly humorous.

Do I think the White Sox will give up the talent the Diamondbacks would require in exchanged for a much improved Young? No.

I was just trying to find an outfielder that doesn't suck at catching the ball, the only player's that seem to be available are designated hitters, and we already have one (Quentin).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
The important thing is that Manny gets on-base. He has some of the best at-bats of anyone in baseball.

I just don't think it's feasable [sic] that we acquire him since his DL stint has been extended.