Ortiz/Beltre

MattZakrowski

I'm under the impression that this Kevin Youkilis injury is going to kill Boston's playoff hopes. Adrian Beltre is having a resurgent year, and while Beltre has a $5 mil player option, I think he'd get a ton more on the open market, so the Red Sox may as well consider him gone after this year anyway.

More realistically perhaps, David Ortiz is also going to be gone after this year (club option 12 mil). Either of these players would upgrade positions where we are very thin. I'm not too sure they'd get to us in waivers, but I think there's a shot if Detroit decides it's not worth it to claim them, and we fall below Minnesota in the standings for a day or two (the latter wouldn't even need to happen for Ortiz, unless they wanted to block us, of course).

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
I'm under the impression that this Kevin Youkilis injury is going to kill Boston's playoff hopes. Adrian Beltre is having a resurgent year, and while Beltre has a $5 mil player option, I think he'd get a ton more on the open market, so the Red Sox may as well consider him gone after this year anyway.

More realistically perhaps, David Ortiz is also going to be gone after this year (club option 12 mil). Either of these players would upgrade positions where we are very thin. I'm not too sure they'd get to us in waivers, but I think there's a shot if Detroit decides it's not worth it to claim them, and we fall below Minnesota in the standings for a day or two (the latter wouldn't even need to happen for Ortiz, unless they wanted to block us, of course).

I can imagine Ortiz sandwiched somewhere between Rios, Konerko and Quentin. he could put us over.

Edited by forrestg

There's really no reason for Boston to sell off.

10 left with New York

7 left with Tampa

9 left with Toronto

6 with Baltimore

7 with Chicago

6 with Seattle

3 with Oakland

3 with Los Angeles

3 with Texas

That's 12 games against teams that are in last place and 17 against the two teams in front of them, with only 10 against other good teams. They have plenty of time to get healthy, and if they're healthy, they can certainly make a run.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Youkilis is out for the season.

ouch, that hurts, at least they expect the rest of the walking wounded to come back (not sure on Cameron's status) but as the schedule a post or two above points out there is no need for them to sell, they can make a legit run and they're not a team that needs to shed money

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
There's really no reason for Boston to sell off.

10 left with New York

7 left with Tampa

9 left with Toronto

6 with Baltimore

7 with Chicago

6 with Seattle

3 with Oakland

3 with Los Angeles

3 with Texas

That's 12 games against teams that are in last place and 17 against the two teams in front of them, with only 10 against other good teams. They have plenty of time to get healthy, and if they're healthy, they can certainly make a run.

I don't see how that's an easy or favorable schedule at all, other than having some games against the teams they're chasing. According to your #'s, that's 27 out of 54 remaining games (half) against teams that are in the playoffs as of today -- NYY, Tampa, Sox, and Texas. And that doesn't even count 12 games against Toronto and Anaheim, who are hardly pushovers. Now Youkilis is out for the year. Boston might not be ready to sell yet, but they could be getting very close.

Edited by bighurt574