Carlos Delgado

chetkincaid

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
Any realistic chance he can even be productive at this point?? He has been off for how long now?

He hasn't played since May, 2009.

I think there's probably as good of a chance of him putting up a >.800 OPS the last 1.5 months of the season as there is of Kotsay doing so.

I'd definitely be willing to sign him to a minor league contract. If you give him some sort of out clause, where he can get out of the contract by August 29th or so, I think there's a chance he'd be willing to accept. No team is going to bring him straight to the majors without facing some minor league pitching first.

Agent: White Sox expressed interest in Delgado

August 5, 2010 3:06 PM | No Comments

By Mark Gonzales

DETROIT - The White Sox have expressed interest in Carlos Delgado, according to agent David Sloane.

"I would say that Carlos will be wearing a uniform for someone next week," said Sloane, confirming that the Sox were one of several teams that has expressed interest in the left-handed slugger.

Delgado, 38, hasn't played since May 10, 2009, because of a hip injury. But Sloane said Delgado, who has hit 473 home runs in his major league career, is healthy.

"Carlos would like to play for a playoff-contending team while getting his at-bats and getting an opportunity to show what he can do for the future," Sloane said.

there's agents quotes

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
The Red Sox will make a big push for him now that Youkilis is out for the year.

Its possible, but you would think Delgado is a DH at least for now which really wouldn't make him a fit there. If contending is his requirement, if I was him and the offers similar, I would take the White or Red right now. I think the Red Sox are toast in that division.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
Delgado is Bo Jackson, 17 years later?

I know this was in jest, however, he didn't have a hip replacemnt. The first surgery was fairly common where the labrum was repaired and a supr was removed. These are common etiologies for hip impingement. These are relatively common and really of no long term consequence.

However, the second surgery included a microfracture prcedure. This is usually done to create bleeding and improve the healing process in damaged cartilage. This is done to prolong the time before a total hip replacement is needed. He would need to show me he can swing the bat on a regular basis before I signed him to a deal. The rotation in the hip during a baseball swing is a violent motion and could be impaired by this.

It isn't a huge problem if they just sign him to finish the season but I would be very cautious in dealing with this one.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
The guy is old and hasn't played in over a year. How in the world is he gonna have any kind of decent skills against the best players in the world after that kind of time and 2 hip surgeries?!

PASS.

Two hip surgeries is the reason why I say no way.

To me, Manny Ramirez is the poster child for all that's wrong about the world's greatest game. I understand he can hit the crap out of a baseball and that's why he's to be considered. But steroids, arrogance and laziness are what he'll be remembered for the most. I'd really rather win without him...and maybe even rather lose without him than win with him.