How can an actual MLB manager continue to justify playing time for Mar

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Kotsay got limited playing time in the A's series. This must be Ozzie's way of making it up to him.

He needed the extra time off to build up his strength for that fly ball out in game 1. That fly will keep him in the lineup for 5 more games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
Maybe we can just face LHP the rest of the season?? Ozzie's awful love for Kotsay was getting a lot of play on B&B today. Might as well activate Teahen, promote Sale, DFA Kotsay, and send down Torres. We'd be such a better team.

This

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
Maybe we can just face LHP the rest of the season?? Ozzie's awful love for Kotsay was getting a lot of play on B&B today. Might as well activate Teahen, promote Sale, DFA Kotsay, and send down Torres. We'd be such a better team.

This is the right series of moves.

B&B made another great point, and it's this: why are the Sox so scared to see if Viciedo can be the impact bat they wanted to acquire? Put him as the full-time DH, and hope he continues to have great at-bats. It could possibly save the Sox approximately 5-7 million if he can perform well and not make the Sox claim Manny. Also, it seems pathetic that all these other GMs were craving Viciedo, yet we're determined to make him a platoon player at best.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
Holy s***. I think 75% of individual posts at Soxtalk are complaining about Mark Kotsay.

There has to be a whipping boy on the club. I wonder who is next in line, when or if Kotsay leaves.

Ozzie will play a guy who's underperforming like Mark until the FO/Kenny Williams releases him or sends him down. In the mean time, Ozzie will always play his veteran players over the kids. So until Kenny takes Mark off the roster, this is what Ozzie is going to continue doing. Hopefully Kenny decides that it's time to move on without Mark and eats the rest of his contract, I'm fairly confident that Kotsay would understand... as he's been absolute s*** and is getting every opportunity to snap out of it, it's just not working. Sucks for us fans unfortunately

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
Lefties are hitting Bonderman .296 this season. I have no problem with Kotsay playing today. He's gotta see AB's to come along, and it's not like he lost the game singlehandedly. They collectively couldn't hit/score.

To come along to what? HE SUCKS! He's washed up, and it's pathetic the Sox let a few good weeks last season influence them so much this season.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
I've yet to see a credible argument in favor of this. I mean yeah, there is some deflection, there's some "he's not really why the team loses games" but that's not the point.

But we don't even know that! Just because he's not pulling Bill Buckner's every night does not mean his presence on this roster, in lieu of someone else, is not costing us games!

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 02:06 AM)
I've yet to see a credible argument in favor of this. I mean yeah, there is some deflection, there's some "he's not really why the team loses games" but that's not the point.

What's frustrating to me is all the people pointing out "he's having bad luck, as he's hitting it deep but it's getting caught". Doesn't that just mean that he doesn't have the ability anymore to hit the ball over the fence, and since he's not exactly speedy, he's even more of a liability? Heck, if he doesn't have the power, then learn how to slap the ball all over the field instead of rolling over the ball in 60% of your ABs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
What's frustrating to me is all the people pointing out "he's having bad luck, as he's hitting it deep but it's getting caught". Doesn't that just mean that he doesn't have the ability anymore to hit the ball over the fence, and since he's not exactly speedy, he's even more of a liability? Heck, if he doesn't have the power, then learn how to slap the ball all over the field instead of rolling over the ball in 60% of your ABs.

If I had to face major league pitchers and I had a .050 BABIP is that just bad luck?

Kotsay is 0-20 against LHP and down to .214 overall, with Andruw Jones down to .201. Looks like the experiment, while the White Sox are in first place, has been a failure. Either put Viciedo in there to DH or get a legit hitter. I don't mind Jones and Kotsay on the bench. Jones can still play a little defense and could hit a homer from time to time, but Kotsay is Darin Erstad revisited. Hopefully when they decide Teahen must come back, the make the correct decision and give Kotsay a little more time with his wife.